new to recording

There is a lot of options that could suit your situation, and a lot of good advice in this thread already.
If I was in your position I´d absolutely go with a Mac, either iMac or MacBook Pro with Logic, and I´d think hard about these three options, depending on how serious you are about recording:

1) Sell your Ultra and upgrade to the Axe II. That will get you the newest Fractal hardware and firmware, and an interface at the same time.
2) Keep your Ultra, get a Mac as outlined above and get either a Apogee One, Duet or Duet II – this is a cheapish but solid solution. I´ve recorded keeper tracks from my Ultra to a Duet (version 1) in hotel rooms.
3) As in surgestion 2 above, but spring for the Metric Halo ULN2 as surgested by Henry – it’s a great interface that is as fresh and vital (more in fact) as when it was first introduced, the only other digital equipment that I can think of that has stood the test of time that well is the TC 2290 Delay and ………well the Axe Fx

Note that both the Apogee and Metric Halo interfaces are for use with Mac computers only.

You didn’t say whether you are only thinking about recording electric guitars or whether you also want to record voice and acustic instruments, if the later is the case, then option #1 is out, or would at least also need either an interface other than the Axe II or a mic preamp.

Last edited:
thats some pretty sound advice it seems. well the tax money is here. i think im going to go with a mac and apogee duet and just play around in garage band until i get the need for more. hopefully by then ill have a better idea as to whats going on

thats some pretty sound advice it seems. well the tax money is here. i think im going to go with a mac and apogee duet and just play around in garage band until i get the need for more. hopefully by then ill have a better idea as to whats going on

Congrats, I don´t think you'll ever regred that move, "once you go Mac, you never go back", an Apogee Duet is a very solid interface and Garage band is a very very good starter DAW - a perfect way to learn your way around a DAW, plus all your garageband projects can easily be moved to and mixed in Logic at a later time should you wish to.
Enjoy

Congrats, I don´t think you'll ever regred that move, "once you go Mac, you never go back", an Apogee Duet is a very solid interface and Garage band is a very very good starter DAW - a perfect way to learn your way around a DAW, plus all your garageband projects can easily be moved to and mixed in Logic at a later time should you wish to.
Enjoy
thanks man. now im just spending my time trying to figure out if i go laptop or desktop since my pc laptop is messed up. i know the right thing to do is just replace its battery but whatever. well, that and the fact that the axe fx 2 seems mighty tasty if i could sell my ultra and not even need the interface. im starting to realize this kind of thing doesnt end

Back
Top Bottom