New to Fractal coming from Tube amps

I’m a happy fractal user but I’m also an honest one
The FX, routing and controls are second to none as a package
I still prefer my Eventide h3000 for some things but it’s dated and limited
I’m not gonna pretend that the patches sound like the amps I own because they don’t, it’s really that simple
I own both the Mesa mark VII and the JP2C and I’ve yet to download a believable stage worthy patch from AxeExchange
Same for the JVM, JCM800 or my perfect plexi, even my soldano slo 30 takes a backseat to that plexi
Why would I go to a place where most people agree with me?
That’s just preaching to the choir. I’m just trying to save the next guy the $5000 I spent for an all amps in the box set up and that simply is not what I received.
First, I tried to love it then I tried to like it now it’s just one of the overpriced effects processors in my rack waiting for the next upgraded unit Axe 4?
But my plexi will have no digital updates just tunes and bias when needed
Also who uses stereo live effectively?
Not many, so it’s mono which strips away the wide wall of Effects that make the clone patched sound good, frankly, all of the heavy models sound the same to me, save a few EQ tweaks
But if you really think you’re going into the preamp section of your AxeEdit and changing your tubes to 12ax7 or changing to power sag percentage in the power amp tab and it replicated those as compared to the real head your delusional
The vast majority of Fractal owners continue to have a different experience with Fractal's amp modeling. There's nothing wrong with the conclusions you've drawn but there's absolutely nothing dishonest or delusional about the conclusions others have drawn either.

The vast majority of Fractal owners continue to have a different experience with Fractal's amp modeling. There's nothing wrong with the conclusions you've drawn but there's absolutely nothing dishonest or delusional about the conclusions others have drawn either.
Better you replied than me replying -Me, well, You Know!

Better you replied than me replying -Me, well, You Know!
Perhaps there is
One needs to have experience with the amps that are being modeled
At 62 and a career musician I can say truthfully that I have or do own some biggest name amps in the world
We have all seen the YouTube vids of amp mongers a racks of heads behind them
Marshall, Deizle, Victory, Soldano, Friedman, Mesa, vox, Revv, and more you don’t believe that someone that can afford all those heads just had them for show, do you?
They obviously can afford anything they want and if AxeFx delivered well that’s all they would need
But that’s not the case
Not for those players and not for me
Do you think Joe Bonamassa, Robben Ford, Eric Johnson, John Mayer, Larry, Carlton, Jackson, Browne, and others want to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for a Dumble when can just pick up an AxeFx
Do you think they are just morons happy to part with their money
Don’t think so

That's not quite accurate.

Taking your advice, while watching one of Vai's rundowns this popped up…

Vai uses the Synergy units for his main guitar sound, the FX3 to control everything and provide his effects along with Amp+Cab modeling in the FX3 for the bass and 12-string in the Hydra, as seen in this screenshot

View attachment 115477

and this shot
View attachment 115478

He also has multiple FX3s, one in his live rack, and two in this studio
View attachment 115479
and, being that he is a pro, he likely has another rack that acts as a backup. And, because he tours, it's reasonable to think he probably has one for his alternate touring rig(s), though, like many other acts, he might have scaled those back or might put something together from his studio gear when he needs to. And, because he has multiple studios….

It looks like it's safe to say that, while he's not using it primarily for modeling, his rig and show wouldn't function without the FX3.

It's also interesting that Dante Frisiello and Phillip Bynoe who are touring in his band use Fractals for their modeling and effects. Vai, being quite on top of the sound in his band must have approved of their sounds.
Sure that’s a screenshot of AxeEdit with empty amp and cab blocks
That’s just my point
No modeling and that’s what I’ve been talking about with every fractal head on this forum
I’m not down on the Fx or routing capabilities it’s just the poor fractal models they do not sound like the real deal
And it’s not just fractal no developers have conquered this issue if they did then that’s all anyone would use

Your making my point in the form of challenge, some kind of evidence the rebuked my comment
I’m not seeing that in your response you only changed the purpose of the fractal from modeler to a piece of gear that’s important to his setup
I’ve never debated that so your point is moot

I haven't seen anyone point to the fact that a Fractal models a close-miked amp. That's not going to, nor intended to, sound like an amp pointed at you. But I'd bet the average listener, and probably the vast majority of guitarists as well, sitting out in the audience of a typical theater or arena, hearing either the sound of a real amp, miked in an iso cab (i.e., a silent stage, so as to not be able to also hear a real amp on stage pointed out into the audience), or the sound of a Fractal being sent direct to FOH, could tell the difference.

Now that's not to say that being the guitar player on the stage, using his real amps behind him (i.e., not in a iso cab off-stage), blended in with his monitor sound of those same amps miked up, wouldn't prefer that sound. But that's not the same thing, nor is it intended to be, again, because a Fractal models a miked amp. Which is a different sound than an amp's sound going straight to your ears.

Perhaps there is
At 62 and a career musician I can say truthfully that I have or do own some biggest name amps in the world
Marshall, Deizle, Victory, Soldano, Friedman, Mesa, vox, Revv, and more you don’t believe that someone that can afford all those heads just had them for show, do you?
They obviously can afford anything they want and if AxeFx delivered well that’s all they would need
But that’s not the case
Do you think Joe Bonamassa, Robben Ford, Eric Johnson, John Mayer, Larry, Carlton, Jackson, Browne, and others want to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for a Dumble when can just pick up an AxeFx
Don’t think so
Well thank the lord someone with musical gear knowledge has finally come to straighten us meager mortals out. Thanks so much :rolleyes:

We are really arguing this still? Lol.

Amp modeler = A way to get many guitar sounds without spending a bazillion dollars.

We are literally arguing about millionaire artists using what gear they have / want to use or not. Steve Vai can use whatever the heck he wants. His funds for his guitar rig are virtually endless.

Why use a MODELER when you can have 1000 amps in a storage facility being kept up by people paid to do so. You don’t need to model something you already have.
Why? Because you can play a similar sound at a drastically reduced volume, which is for me the primary use of a modeler.

Perhaps there is
But that’s not the case
Don’t think so
Just sell your fractal unit and go back to amps.

Amps are great on stage for sure, I reall miss my amps behind me when I’m playing, I mean really.

But the consistant tones I can delivered to FoH night after night are just the best I’ve ever had period.
With my fm3 I don’t rely on the placement of the mic that is always not the good one and the mic get always kicked during the shows…

Our sound engineer make absolutely no eq changes on my tones.

Sound check is fast, plugging/unplugging is fast, it’s light. And when you do tour a lot like I do sometimes those things really matters.

And above all I don’t manage my band, I play for others, that’s my job and they don’t care at all about those soldano/plexi things. They just want great tones with the minimum of weight and size.

That’s my job and I’ve never been happier since I got a fm3.

Sure it’s not an amp in the room, sure core tones are perfectible but fractal are just the best modelers ever made.

And I’m not tied to a particular brand, I owned a kemper that a lot of pro guys use too, it was horrible.

I’m a happy fractal user but I’m also an honest one
The FX, routing and controls are second to none as a package
I still prefer my Eventide h3000 for some things but it’s dated and limited
I’m not gonna pretend that the patches sound like the amps I own because they don’t, it’s really that simple
I own both the Mesa mark VII and the JP2C and I’ve yet to download a believable stage worthy patch from AxeExchange
Same for the JVM, JCM800 or my perfect plexi, even my soldano slo 30 takes a backseat to that plexi
Why would I go to a place where most people agree with me?
That’s just preaching to the choir. I’m just trying to save the next guy the $5000 I spent for an all amps in the box set up and that simply is not what I received.
First, I tried to love it then I tried to like it now it’s just one of the overpriced effects processors in my rack waiting for the next upgraded unit Axe 4?
But my plexi will have no digital updates just tunes and bias when needed
Also who uses stereo live effectively?
Not many, so it’s mono which strips away the wide wall of Effects that make the clone patched sound good, frankly, all of the heavy models sound the same to me, save a few EQ tweaks
But if you really think you’re going into the preamp section of your AxeEdit and changing your tubes to 12ax7 or changing to power sag percentage in the power amp tab and it replicated those as compared to the real head your delusional
How have you compared against your amps?

Coming from tube amps?
Very best advice, you should return to your tube amp
if your looking for authentic valve tone that we all hear and love
on so many of our favorite songs played by our favorite guitar gods
very, very few guitarists of note use the Axe Fx 3 or any Axe Fx for that matter for the
primary emulation of amp model
What is used in the trade from my personal experience as a studio and touring professional musician for more than 40 years are the many
quality FX (thus “AxeFx”) and routing options available as well as the portability, Axe Edit, Fc controllers and the many updates all with the attempt to reach that goal of really emulating the world most sought after amp tones
Fractal is the closest imho compared to everything else I own including, cortex, helix and Kemper
But! The tube warmth is still a prize to be obtained, so if you love your tube amps but need or want more
then buy more tube heads, Marshall, Friedman, Vox, Fender..whatever your preference for the real tone by the real amp
add a torpedo captor x or OX box and you will not be disappointed
But if you want quality and power with many, many choices and are satisfied with close enough for the price then enjoy the latest in the field of amp, cabinet, Fx modeling and everything else you will get with your new fractal

You're not from around these parts, are ya? laugh.gif

ce.gif

been a Marshall JMP-1 and Marshall 100w head user since 1992, stll got my Valve heads, well.. one of them.. and just one 4x12" cab left now.. a few pedals.. I'm selling most of it off now because, in my very humble opinion, Cliff Chase has cracked it, big time. bought an FM3 last year, and an EV-1, then an FC-6, and will never go back to tube gear. finally they've cracked it. but that's just me, and everyone is different, but Metallica ditching their tube gear and moving to the AxeFX II's was a big factor in all honesty. They can have anything in the world, so for them to switch over, it's game over. more importantly, I trust my ears.. the Fractal stuff is a no brainer.

Same player profile here.
Good to now the FM3 not only nails metal sounds. Classic blues and rock are my feel-like-home sound, and it's great to know FM3 can cover my needs

Back
Top Bottom