New to Fractal and FM3

Hi to everyone,
I received my FM3 on Tuesday 5-5-20. I'm clueless how to set it up. I do have many amps and pedal boards including a Helix Floor and two Line 6 PowerCabs which are all easy to use and sound great. I thought I'd give this a try and I'm already frustrated to the point of returning it. I read the basic Quick Start Setup Guide to get started. I used a 1/4" instrument cable from Out1 to the 1/4" input on the back of my PowerCab. Every stock preset sounded harsh and brittle. So I contacted Customer support if there was some quick global setting to start from. He recommended "Start by resetting the system parameters in the Utility menu. If you experience what you refer to as harsh and brittle that is typically the fault of the speaker system being used or you are used to guitar speakers that usually cut off around 7K or 8K. You may want to try to lower the HF cut filter in the Cab block (Preamp tab) to about 7or 8k. You can cut the 4k and 8k OUTPUT EQ in the AMP block and/or slightly lower the 8k/16k in the Global EQ. In a nut shell lower the offending frequencies"

After resetting the system parameters in the Utility menu there was no more harsh or brittle tones. There was also no other tones except the same clean amp sound on every preset and effect no matter which preset or scene I change. So basically I have all these presets, amps and effects that all have the same identical clean sound.

My intent is to have two different setups for different occasions. One where I can use my powercabs for the amp in the room feel and another for FOH setup.

Thanks for any help,
Mike

Hi to everyone,
I received my FM3 on Tuesday 5-5-20. I'm clueless how to set it up. I do have many amps and pedal boards including a Helix Floor and two Line 6 PowerCabs which are all easy to use and sound great. I thought I'd give this a try and I'm already frustrated to the point of returning it. I read the basic Quick Start Setup Guide to get started. I used a 1/4" instrument cable from Out1 to the 1/4" input on the back of my PowerCab. Every stock preset sounded harsh and brittle. So I contacted Customer support if there was some quick global setting to start from. He recommended "Start by resetting the system parameters in the Utility menu. If you experience what you refer to as harsh and brittle that is typically the fault of the speaker system being used or you are used to guitar speakers that usually cut off around 7K or 8K. You may want to try to lower the HF cut filter in the Cab block (Preamp tab) to about 7or 8k. You can cut the 4k and 8k OUTPUT EQ in the AMP block and/or slightly lower the 8k/16k in the Global EQ. In a nut shell lower the offending frequencies"

After resetting the system parameters in the Utility menu there was no more harsh or brittle tones. There was also no other tones except the same clean amp sound on every preset and effect no matter which preset or scene I change. So basically I have all these presets, amps and effects that all have the same identical clean sound.

My intent is to have two different setups for different occasions. One where I can use my powercabs for the amp in the room feel and another for FOH setup.

Thanks for any help,
Mike
I hope to do a livestream today showing the basics of the FM3. maybe in 3 or so hours from now. i'll link it here when i'm about to start.

first thing i notice though is that Out 1 doesn't have a 1/4" output. what did you actually use?

it's hard to recommend what to do from here since i can't see your FM3 and exactly what's happening. i don't think there's a option in the setup menus that would make all amps clean. since Out 1 doesn't have a 1/4", i'm guessing you might have used a different Output or something else which didn't give you a good start.

Sorry, I meant Out 2 Left Mono, the top center 1/4" output. Also, before the recommended reset, it was changing amps and effects with the switches. Any amp or pedal with overdrive sounded really harsh is why I contacted customer support. Based on my experience with the Helix, I understand to start with a low and high cut which worked on the Helix. I just didn't know where that was on the FM3. I was hoping for a quick global fix to the output signal just to get me in the ball park. But this thing is far more intense on it's settings. I may have accidentally changed something but know what.

Last edited:
I used stock presets and didn't change them. Under Output 2 configuration, I did output 2 copy to input 1.
if you're copying Input 1, then you're copying the input, which is a clean guitar. this explains why you only hear clean sounds.

Output 1 would be the better choice, as Out 1 is what has the sound of the blocks in the preset.

if the Powercab is meant to be more like a guitar cab and not a full range speaker, the factory presets might not sound the best as they are designed for use with a Full Range speaker. you might need to follow the Setup area of the Owner's Manual for "real cab" setups. this usually includes disabling the Cab block either per preset or with the Setup > Global option. i'm not familiar with the Powercab though.

Thanks, that was it. Now I just need to learn to tame the harsh frequencies on the fly. I'm trying to learn all my editing from the unit first before using FM3 Edit. BTW, The PowerCab has several settings. It has 6 different on board speaker models to use instead of IR's or the cabs and mic sims on the FM3. It has an FRFR mode and a flat mode without the high compression tweeter.

Thanks, that was it. Now I just need to learn to tame the harsh frequencies on the fly. I'm trying to learn all my editing from the unit first before using FM3 Edit. BTW, The PowerCab has several settings. It has 6 different on board speaker models to use instead of IR's or the cabs and mic sims on the FM3. It has an FRFR mode and a flat mode without the high compression tweeter.
cool. it's not a typical speaker, so the results with any other gear like the FM3 may vary.

if you use the Powercab "IRs" then you'd turn off the cab block. if you use the "FRFR" setting, you'd leave them on. again, results may vary as it's not exactly an FRFR nor a guitar cab.

With powercab I personally would start with the flat setting. Let the FM3 do all of the heavy lifting with amp/cab blocks first. I would actually disable all blocks except for the amp/cab. Then take your time choosing cabs (IRs) that start to get you into the ballpark. You sould only need fairly light changes on most amp simulations. Then engage your FX one at a time and explore what they can do and how they interact. It can be a big shift going from one platform to a new one, but the tones are definitely in there!

I'll get an XLR cable tomorrow and use Output 1. Thanks for helping me out.
that would simplify things for sure, and let you use Out 2 for another output or as an fx loop, or not use it at all. Out 1 is the intended main/standard output. unfortunately the compact size only permits room for XLR only, not 1/4" additionally.

a popular method is to use Out 1 for Full-Range output (with cabs) and Out 2 to send to a real power amp/guitar cab. this article shows how to do it on the Axe2, but the concept is very similar, just for a general idea. you'd have to adjust all presets you use, but it works really well. on the FM3, you'd use the Out 2 block instead of the FX Loop block from the Axe2.

https://www.axefxtutorials.com/axe-...but-without-cab-sims-to-a-guitar-amp-and-cab/

Hey guys. Just wanted to say I’m new to the FM3 and multi effects units period lol. This is officially the first time EVER using a modeling processor of any kind. After many months of research I can honestly say the Fractal Audio stuff just sounded more like the regular tube amps and pedals. I’m use to playing all the vintage guitars, amp, and pedals. I was still very skeptical but decided I would finally take the plunge. I’ve only played through the FM3 for like an hour and I’m still not even close to understanding all the stuff this thing can do. I just been playing around with the factory presents through a ‘75 Music Man 212-HD with the amps and cabs turned off on global settings. All I can say is WOW! I’m blown away! Granted, I won’t be ditching my amps and pedals, but I can honestly say this is as close as it gets to the real stuff! I’ve got tons to learn about setting things up and I also want to get a good powered speaker to get the most out of this thing during jam sessions and practices. Any suggestions??? I’d like a speaker with good headroom and the feel of a regular tube amp. I think I’m gonna give the old pedalboard a rest and just use this lol. It’s so much lighter and has all the effects I could ever ask for. I may, however, have to just connect the Old Sola Sound Tube Bender through the back tho. ;) This FM3 is addicting! I’m already looking to get the FC6 and a custom case to carry these units back and forth to sessions. This is gonna be Fun! So, any suggestions on a good powered speaker????

Hey guys. Just wanted to say I’m new to the FM3 and multi effects units period lol. This is officially the first time EVER using a modeling processor of any kind. After many months of research I can honestly say the Fractal Audio stuff just sounded more like the regular tube amps and pedals. I’m use to playing all the vintage guitars, amp, and pedals. I was still very skeptical but decided I would finally take the plunge. I’ve only played through the FM3 for like an hour and I’m still not even close to understanding all the stuff this thing can do. I just been playing around with the factory presents through a ‘75 Music Man 212-HD with the amps and cabs turned off on global settings. All I can say is WOW! I’m blown away! Granted, I won’t be ditching my amps and pedals, but I can honestly say this is as close as it gets to the real stuff! I’ve got tons to learn about setting things up and I also want to get a good powered speaker to get the most out of this thing during jam sessions and practices. Any suggestions??? I’d like a speaker with good headroom and the feel of a regular tube amp. I think I’m gonna give the old pedalboard a rest and just use this lol. It’s so much lighter and has all the effects I could ever ask for. I may, however, have to just connect the Old Sola Sound Tube Bender through the back tho. ;) This FM3 is addicting! I’m already looking to get the FC6 and a custom case to carry these units back and forth to sessions. This is gonna be Fun! So, any suggestions on a good powered speaker????
here are some threads that discuss speaker choice:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/best-active-speaker-for-ax8.152226/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/best-speaker-for-ax8.150430/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/what-is-the-best-poweramp-speaker-cabs-for-the-axe-fx.86131/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/frfr-choices.161132/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/what-is-the-best-powered-frfr-cabinets-to-buy.160143/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...solution-i-get-get-relatively-quickly.158278/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/best-powered-frfr-monitor.157676/

Welcome to the Jungle Jake! I'm new too and just got my FM3 last week. I use a Line 6 Powercab (the non plus versions) and have two that I bought with my Helix. My FM3 sounds great using the flat mode. I can't speak for any other model since I've never tried them but I'm probably gonna try the Atomic CLR and Xitone. The best way is to try one if you have a store that carries them. My ultimate goal is to go FOH and use a stage monitor so I don't have to carry anything but my FM3 and a guitar or I might as well use one of my many amps and pedal boards. As far as switches, try to work with the three first before buying the FC6. I was going to do that but there are so many options and I'm blown away that I can still do what I need by setting the scene switches.

Back
Top Bottom