New to Forum/Axe Fx Ultra

jetspeed

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Ken and I live in Las Vegas. I pulled the trigger on the Ultra last week. It should be here on Thursday or Friday. I'm really excited and in order to facilitate immediate enjoyment can anyone make suggestions as to how I should proceed when the unit arrives? I will be using it in my recording studio so I'll go directly into my Fire Studio Tube interface and listen through head phones. Also I have a Mesa Stiletto Ace with a 4x12 Cab. Should I try going through the effects loop? I will probably sell my Mesa for an Atomic amp and run the unit through FRFR. Any thoughts on this plan? Finally if anyone here has recommendations for the best possible midi foot controller for the money and a good expression pedal I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you everyone in advance for your kindness in answering my questions.

Cheers,

Ken

Hi Ken, welcome to the club.

I know that many users (including creator Cliff) are less than enthused by the results gained from using headphones. That's not to say you won't; you could very well love what you hear. I only mention that to prepare you for possible "meh" reaction that might follow a headphone audition.

Going through that Stiletto will invariably introduce some coloration. You may like the output, but keep in mind any direct signal with cabinet sims will sound substantially different than a patch you've tweaked using that setup. The FRFR route is a popular one, and the Atomics have gained pretty positive reviews. If you're comfortable with an FRFR setup and understand the fundamental differences between that and a conventional power amp and cab rig, you're in for some happy times.

You'll find support for a myriad of midi foot controllers around here; I can't say that one absolutely dominates all competitors. That said, I'm totally blown away with the design, performance, and feature checklist of either the Liquid Foot Pro or Jr.

Expression pedals are a little more one sided, with a lot of folks siding with products from Mission Engineering (like the SP-1).

I'm sure others will chime in (and likely offer some alternatives), but I hope this gives you some general ideas.

logicroxx said:
I know that many users (including creator Cliff) are less than enthused by the results gained from using headphones. That's not to say you won't; you could very well love what you hear. I only mention that to prepare you for possible "meh" reaction that might follow a headphone audition.

Care to elaborate more on this? I plan to use my Axe-FX ultra with a mackie VLZ402 mixer and (studio monitor) headphones only.... I've not prepared to be part of the group that thinks the headphones fail to properly translate the full potential of the Axe-FX

For what it's worth:

Been using IEM's and headphones exclusively live and in pratice; presently with AXE and previously with others. 4x12 cabs have been idle for 2 years now. Takes some tweeking and getting used to- - - as with anything. The rewards are awesome.
Z.

Thanks for your input. I'm really open to trying different setups to find what I like.

I guess I'm curious about what kind of "tweeking" in in for? I'm willing to put in a little time but at the same time I would like to get some immediate enjoyment as well. Anyone suggest what I might do in terms of a tweek here and a tweek there when I initially power it up or is the a good guide with the unit?

Getting excited, should be here this week.

Cheers,

Ken

Tweeking -

Before I purchased the AXE-Fx, I downloaded the Axe-Edit software and drove around for a while; menus, selections etc. The various edit screens and such give you great representation of what parameters are available and to the depth that one can investigate the possibilities when online with the unit. You tweek as much as you like - !
It didn't take me long to become familiarized and found that programming via a MIDI interface was easy. Most of the things that I thought were complicated I found I was simply over-thinking. I use the MIDI interface constantly - unless I'm playing live/gig. I'm new to the Axe myself, so I make gig notes as to what needs to be tweeked for next time.

I spent a few days prior to my first time out with the Axe and set up a few Clean, a few Gained Rhythm, and a few Lead tones by headphones and my IEMs. Honestly, the band members and soundman were floored with the sound; as was I. I go direct to FOH with no stage cabs. Works great for me.

AXE OUT 1 > FOH
AXE OUT 2 > Small STAGE MIXER - STEREO HEADPHONE OUT > HEADPHONE DISTRIBUTION AMP (others use IEMs and here is where we mix other AUX channels from the FOH MIXER for MONITORING) > IEM's

jetspeed said:
Thanks for your input. I'm really open to trying different setups to find what I like.

I guess I'm curious about what kind of "tweeking" in in for? I'm willing to put in a little time but at the same time I would like to get some immediate enjoyment as well. Anyone suggest what I might do in terms of a tweek here and a tweek there when I initially power it up or is the a good guide with the unit?

Getting excited, should be here this week.

Cheers,

Ken

Good news for you, Ken.

The latest firmware has allowed us to find useable, gig-worthy tones in a very small amount of time. I'll agree with the above poster's recommendations, and I'll add that while the Axe has never been 100% plug and play, the interface is incredibly intuitive and general tweeking time is now minimal.

SteveZ said:
AXE OUT 1 > FOH
AXE OUT 2 > Small STAGE MIXER - STEREO HEADPHONE OUT > HEADPHONE DISTRIBUTION AMP (others use IEMs and here is where we mix other AUX channels from the FOH MIXER for MONITORING) > IEM's

Hey Z, I've been doing something similar, but instead of an equivalent to your AXE OUT 2 line above, I've been taking the entire mix from the PA into an Avioim system that I listen to via headphones. I'm pretty unhappy with the quality of the sounds I'm getting.

Did you also start down this path and then move to your setup above using the 2nd output?

What specific equipment do you use for the chain in the AXE OUT 2 scenario above?

I could buy a nice FRFR setup, but at home I don't really need it and at church (where I play) we're trying to keep the stage quieter, hence my interest in your setup (since you like it)...

Thanks!

Hey Ken, welcome to the asylum :lol:

+1 on the Liquid Foot stuff as foot controllers. I have been using the Pro for a while now and I gig with it regularly. It provides me with enough switching options. We are a cover band right now and I need to be able to switch many effects on/off at any given time, for different songs. Also, I have tried the Axe FRFR and amp/cab. Really, both work very well. For ease of use and set-up, FRFR is great! Recently, I have gigged with a Mark V and the Axe, going through a 4X12. That is amazing tones!! I don't know if I will ever sell off all my amps, I guess I am attached, however, the Axe opens up possibilities that just weren't there before.

Since you mentioned you are in the studio mostly, then why not have it all :mrgreen: I mean isn't that the point of the Axe in the first place HA!!!

Good luck with your tweaking and ENJOY...this is truly an awesome piece of gear and it will eat up your weekends and evenings if you let it. You can really go as deep with it as you want to with tonal variety/tweaking and Cliff has so many things in there at this point. I have to remember to eat and go see my family once in a while...otherwise, I just geek out :ugeek:

Rock it,
Tim

I've been doing something similar, but instead of an equivalent to your AXE OUT 2 line above, I've been taking the entire mix from the PA into an Avioim system that I listen to via headphones. I'm pretty unhappy with the quality of the sounds I'm getting.

Did you also start down this path and then move to your setup above using the 2nd output?

What specific equipment do you use for the chain in the AXE OUT 2 scenario above?

I could buy a nice FRFR setup, but at home I don't really need it and at church (where I play) we're trying to keep the stage quieter, hence my interest in your setup (since you like it)...

Actually, I developed my setup on previous experience with L6 equipment and IEM's. Really can't say developed - more like threw it together and it worked for me. ;)

LONG WINDED EXPLAINATION / grab a java...*** I run the Axe OUT 1 STEREO XLR direct to our Yamaha FOH mixer. That signal is divided thru AUX1,2, and3,4 in two stereo monitor sets for the rest of the band. Channel EQ is set PRE-AUX and incorporated into the AUX signals as well as the FOH signal. AUX 1,2 set is sent back thru the snake for 4 monitor wedges (bass player/ vocals, guitar player /vocals, and lead vocalist). AUX 3,4 set is sent thru the snake to a 4 channel headphone distribution amp for IEM's ( myself, our keyboard player and our drummer). Both AUX stereo sets have a mix of us all, not just me - but here is where the rest of my stuff fits in...

The Axe OUT 2 is sent in stereo to a simple XENYX 1202 mixer. The headphone out of the XENYX is sent to MY channel on the headphone distribution amp as an AUX INJECTION signal (25' TRS-TRS cable). The headphone amp allows me to adjust or "PAN IN" how much of the "AXE-FX" signal reaches my IEM's in ratio to the "rest of the band AUX injection mix". I can be as loud as I want in my mix without bothering anyone else. EQ on the XENYX is perfectly flat.

For the AXE, I have the OUT1 and OUT2 EQ'd the same - almost flat also - 4k, 8K slight roll off. I've found that while the XLR's output is relatively hotter than the 1/4 inch outs, they're identical tone wise.

Now, the YAMAHA mixer does effect the tone (so to speak) as it is EQ'd for FOH and then sent back in our AUX sends to the stage. This may be very similar to your setup using only the XLR outs/thru mixer controls/thru your AVIOM.

Where my setup is different is in the OUT 2 personal monitoring - where I control the EQ (flat)/ volume (unity)/ mix (to taste).

My system is VERY inexpensive.
The IEM's are Sennheiser IE4 (@ $60.00 retail) and have lasted two years and STILL going strong (knock on wood). Trick with them is NOT to push them in too far in your ear canal... kills the bass and treble response. A more loose fit works better - not falling out, but not rammed in like one may initially think.

This whole thing came about for me when I tired of our vocalists bitchin' (rightfully so) that my two 4 x 12 cabs and hundred watt heads were too loud.

So, I figured... "all right, I'll show ya!..." and haven't looked back since.

I will get a power amp and try the AXE with my 4 x 12's for the "hell of it" soon.

Hope this helps!!!

Z.

SteveZ: thanks for the killer explanation! How happy are you with the low-end using your Sennheisers? Do you put up with it because their headphones? Like it? Think it sounds awesome?

Hi Ger,

Yea, I'm happy with the low freq response of the Sennheiser IEM's. I can't stress enough how important the ear placement is though... I didn't like them the first time I tried to use em'. You get four sets of soft ear pieces - ranging small to dime size :shock: . They'll rest somewhere between "jammed in" and "falling out". Once you find the correct fit, low end is great and the rest of the response is awesome. No real noticable peaks IMO. Correct fit also lets you move around and be relatively secure that they won't fall out - guitar strap snags are common. For the price, I recommend them - at least as a great starting point!

BTW - LOUD! If you want...

Z.

Back
Top Bottom