New to Axe. Should I sell my pedals?

csacwp

I just ordered an Axe-FX III and am really excited to use it. Before I had tried a Kemper but didn't like how the profiles sounded when I attempted to customize them (for example, the bass, mids, and treble "knobs" did NOT respond like a real amp would, nor did the gain). I have a large collection of top of the line boutique pedals that I used to use with my real amps before I sold them to fund the Axe. Will these pedals (reverb, delay, compression, phaser, wah, treble booster, etc.) be useful with the Axe, or are the built-in effects as good as the best pedals? I'd love to sell the pedals if they are no longer needed to simplify my rig.

Yes, sell it all and get an FC6 and EP1/EV1

(BTW you can get a brand new EP1, the standard Axe 3 expression pedal, for only $80 right now, from the manufacturer, if you want the link ill send it to you, but i would sell it all and buy this pedal while they still have some left)

No thats why i said, get the EP1, its usually $150, its half off from mission engineering themslevess
Lmk dude
Its the best time, they had 4 left i checked in stock

i have amazing boutique pedals. I didn't sell them, but I usually use only Axe III live.
I have to say that sometimes I use to play real amps, and in that case I like to put in front my pedals.
If you can, don't sell

:)

Depends on whether you want the exact sound of certain pedals. The Neo Ventilator II is quite stellar and perhaps would be an example of a pedal that you might want to keep. There's a post on here about an MXR phase 90 that took a lot of work to develop. Sometimes perhaps it would just be easier to keep that pedal than try to duplicate it.

Honestly, I’d wait to see what you don’t use anymore.

I still love the red panda particle v2, spaceman titan ii fuzz, still use the empress reverb (but that’s probably on the way out), on the fence for the superego+.

That said, I still have gas to try some other stuff like the mimiq and freqout; also some other weird offerings and the empress zoia

Don’t sell! Keep and use your current pedals to help you learn the axfx. Once you get a pedal matched, then sell it. Learning/researching how to match an effect will get you much more familiar with your gear than just grabbing other people’s presets (not that it’s bad to do that). That said, there are a bunch of pedals I had to keep that I just couldn’t get there - freqout, hexe revolver, drop, stuff from drolo, etc

Each person's journey and experience is different. Some can do everything they need with the Axe-Fx III, others need external pedals to supplement their tone. No right or wrong way, at the end of the day they are simply tools. Some craftsmen are minimalistic and use only a few tools, others use only hand tools and still others need every tool imaginable. But no matter the process or how many tools used, all are capable of creating amazing things.

As has been suggested, sell what you know you can replicate in the Axe and won't miss or need anymore. Hang on to the ones you have any level of attachment to or are unsure you can replicate. Eventually you'll figure out what works and have to live with what you decide to sell. Don't feel as though you need to have a "good" reason to keep anything or explain your reasoning. Everyone will have an opinion based upon their experience, it doesn't necessarily make it the right thing for you.

Sold all mine, a lot of boutique - I’ve kept one, a fully pimped King of Time, but to be honest it’s not come out of the cupboard since I first got a Fractal product two years ago.

Sell what you can buy in the future, keep (for now) the irreplaceable

I just ordered an Axe-FX III and am really excited to use it. Before I had tried a Kemper but didn't like how the profiles sounded when I attempted to customize them (for example, the bass, mids, and treble "knobs" did NOT respond like a real amp would, nor did the gain). I have a large collection of top of the line boutique pedals that I used to use with my real amps before I sold them to fund the Axe. Will these pedals (reverb, delay, compression, phaser, wah, treble booster, etc.) be useful with the Axe, or are the built-in effects as good as the best pedals? I'd love to sell the pedals if they are no longer needed to simplify my rig.

I sold (almost) all of my pedals. The effects in the Axe-FX III are top quality, drives included which sound great. The only pedals I somewhat miss are:
  1. Strymon El Capistan - Beautiful tape delay. Not that the delays in the Axe-FX III aren't beautiful, but to get that warm delay wash I struggle a little on the Axe-FX III while with the El Capistan it's a matter of turning a couple of knobs to get an instant great tone;
  2. Strymon Bluesky - The shimmer reverb is unbeatable. A recent Ares firmware update brought a shimmer reverb to the Axe-FX III, but sorry: it doesn't sound quite right to me. The other Axe-FX III reverbs are totally awesome, by the way.

I still have all my pedals, even got some more after getting the AX8 and FX3.

I don't want to miss building a physical board and playing with all the knobs and stuff :)
In terms of sound the FX3 can (nearly) do anything, but that's not always enough ...

Back
Top Bottom