New Strat - first dedicated strat patch. Amp/Cab setup

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Sound and pic is a little ropey as the missus nicked the camera - had to borrow my daughters still.

First strat clips I felt were a little brittle (though some loved them) but I was playing into patches Id designed for my PRS. This is the first "Strat Patch" with some gain - its a bit blusey/funky. Hope you get past the quality. Comments as always welcome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzyf5uKl6Lw

Great sound and nice playing !
Where did you get the backing track ?
Itwould help a lot tweaking my patches to have good backing tracks like this one.
:twisted:

Love the tone from the axe even listening through a camera!

Give me your best educated guess on how much time you've spent crafting the strat tone thus far?

Thanks man,
Brandon

paulmapp8306 said:
About 10 minutes :cool:

haha! Well that's accurate. What about from when you first got your axe, until now. Would you say you've spent a good chunk of time learning how to setup patches, so that now you've learned how to setup patches like this in less then 10 mins?

Or am I over complicating things lol?

Thanks!

Its a combination of factors.

Firstly Ive always known what tones I want to hear - I just had a real problem finding amps/pedals that would make the right noises.

Secondly, Ive had my Axe 2 years, and I do know what parameters I need to/tend to tweek to get what response - and which to leave well alone.

Thirdly, Its about knowing the amp sims and there generic tones. Not the real amps, but the sims. Too many people try to get a typical fender tones for instance by using a fender sim. Quite often what they're actually after is a modded Fender tone, or a Fender tone with other factors like a drive box, compressor or something else and a different amp sim is a better starting point. For instance I think the best Old Marshall tones in the Axe are actually achieved by the Buttery sim, not the Plexi which I find too mid heavey without the cut.

The trick is to know the Axe, what sims make what noises, with what guitars and use the relevant one. Dont just use the sim you THINK you need - quite often the right tones come from other sims. If you DO use the amp you think you need, but its not right - rather than tweek it to death -find a sim thats closer to your starting point, and dont be afraid to use sims that you wouldnt either use normally or think wouldnt suit because often then do. If you know that (for instance) a driven Brownface is a touch more brittle, with slightly hollow mids when compared to the Orange RV - and the Orange has a tighter bass but more gain, then using the Orange with low gain may well be the tone you need for a fat fender tone - as in the case of my clip.

And finally - yes, a lot of people make things too complecated. They tweek too much trying to nail the tone. Get the feel right and the tone follows.

paulmapp8306 said:
Its a combination of factors.

Firstly Ive always known what tones I want to hear - I just had a real problem finding amps/pedals that would make the right noises.

Secondly, Ive had my Axe 2 years, and I do know what parameters I need to/tend to tweek to get what response - and which to leave well alone.

Thirdly, Its about knowing the amp sims and there generic tones. Not the real amps, but the sims. Too many people try to get a typical fender tones for instance by using a fender sim. Quite often what they're actually after is a modded Fender tone, or a Fender tone with other factors like a drive box, compressor or something else and a different amp sim is a better starting point. For instance I think the best Old Marshall tones in the Axe are actually achieved by the Buttery sim, not the Plexi which I find too mid heavey without the cut.

The trick is to know the Axe, what sims make what noises, with what guitars and use the relevant one. Dont just use the sim you THINK you need - quite often the right tones come from other sims. If you DO use the amp you think you need, but its not right - rather than tweek it to death -find a sim thats closer to your starting point, and dont be afraid to use sims that you wouldnt either use normally or think wouldnt suit because often then do. If you know that (for instance) a driven Brownface is a touch more brittle, with slightly hollow mids when compared to the Orange RV - and the Orange has a tighter bass but more gain, then using the Orange with low gain may well be the tone you need for a fat fender tone - as in the case of my clip.

And finally - yes, a lot of people make things too complecated. They tweek too much trying to nail the tone. Get the feel right and the tone follows.

This is GREAT advice. The way you describe achieving a tone is exactly how I approach my current amp. (Fender Cybertwin SE). The problem is that I've never gotten a tone that I've been happy with, and I've spent countless hours trying to achieve an excellent tone! I always thought I was tone deaf and just couldn't tweak well enough. But after a while I spoke to a bunch of other Cybertwin users who also complain of the same issue. Fender TRIED to do what Tom King has conquered and now I'm desperately trying to sell my amp for the AXEFX. I've read countless threads, reviews, and watched you tube videos like yours Paul. Thanks for keeping people like me, somewhat pacified, until I finally have enough money to purchase one!

Fender may make a great Strat, but they really need to keep the 'multiple amps/fx in one box' to Fractal.

Thanks again Paul,
Brandon

Nice tones Paul, you should post that over on musicradar too.

edit.. doh, just realised that you have posted there as well, i don't look in the listening lounge to often.

Back
Top Bottom