New Standard Owner Needs HELP!

axel

Power User
Hey guys, I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I need some answers quick. I'm in the last 5 days of my trial period on the Standard, and I'm getting really frustrated with trying to load presets. I can get the editor (beta) to work for the most part, but when I use the Preset Manager, I can't seem to get any presets to load. I can save my presets from the Axe to the computer, but have had no luck xfering presets from the computer to the Axe, which is one of the main features I was wanting to try before making my decision on whether to keep it. I can even login to Axe-Change from the preset manager and download presets, but that's as far as I can get. When I try to load the presets into the Axe, I get "Bad Checksum" on the Axe display. I'm on my 2nd midi interface unit (currently using E-MU Xmidi ). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I understand where you're coming from, but at the same time I don't know that it's a great idea to base your decision of keeping it or not, on the functionality of the beta editor. I'm equally frustrated with my inability to get anything done on the editor, but you'd have to pry the axefx out of my dead hands :lol: . If you're happy with the tone, don't let the editor discourage you. It will be functional some day.

As for downloading other peoples presets, the only way I'm able to do it with the editor is to download it and audition it - then if I like it, just use the store function on the axefx face. If you're able to audition it, you can save it. I'm not able to save it from the editor buttons either though.

Thanks for the response. I can't seem to get the Audition to work either. My concern is not so much with being able to use other's presets, but being able to backup my own and reload them if I ever need to. Also, if I can't get data to transfer from my PC to the Axe, how will I install updates? Is there something I'm missing?

Here's what I CAN do:

Control the Axe Fx from the editor
Store preset changes made in the editor (get "Bad Checksum", but still stores)
Load data into the Preset Manager (banks...)

Here's what I CAN'T do:

Save any data to the Axe Fx from the Preset Manager (get a "Bad Checksum" and no save)
Transfer any data from AxeChange (I can load into Preset Manager, but that's it)

If you guys have any additional advice, or things I can try, please let me know before I give up on it. I know the tone is the most important thing, but one of the main reasons I bought the Axe Fx was because Fractal offers continuous upgrades, and I need to be able to install them.

Thanks

The Editor is beta, and even though some people have been able to use it, many of us won't let it near our "production" Axe-FX. I'm one of those who won't use the Editor until it gets seriously revamped (it borked my patches once, never again).

Use a Midi librarian tool (like SendSX) for both patches and firmware, it's extremely reliable (once you iron out any hickups your midi interface may have, if any).

I would recommend trying Lar's Editor with Raca's 9.0 xml... I've never had an issue with my MidiSport 2x2 and Lar's/Raca combination.

+1 on using Lar's editor for the time being. I've recently backed up my presets, updated to 9.0 firmware and have been going nuts with Red Wire user cabs with no issues whatsoever. The beauty of the Axe is in it's superior sound/feel/support. The official editor is a minor issue for me, and will just be another feather in Cliff's cap whenever it's finally ready for prime time. IMO of course.

If your main concern is backing up and restoring presets, you can try a simple midi transfer program, like bome's send-sx.

Regards,
Marco

I hear ya, I can't even get those to work. I tried loading (sending) a single preset to the Axe using MIDI-OX (which is what Fractal uses), and it would not transfer (Axe displays "Bad Checksum"). I tried this on 2 different computers, using 2 different MIDI interfaces on each. If I don't get this resolved by Wednesday (the end of my 15 day trial), I'll have to send it back :( . Keep the ideas coming, I'm not giving up yet.

Two things to add:

1-) Don't waste your time trying to get The Editor to work for you if the midi librarian tools (MidiOX or SendSX) don't work. Solve *that* first. It could be drivers, cables, hook-up, etc.

2-) The transfer of patches, banks, and firmware, from PC to Axe-FX is a pro0ven thing. You may not be able to get it to work now, but with a little bit of debugging, you'll get it to work. So in my humble opinion, you shouldn't waste your last few days of the 15-day trial trying to work out the mechanics of a non-functional midi transfer... rather, you should take it for granted that you *will* be able to get that to work, and focus on evaluating the Axe-FX for the remainder of your trial period. Just sayin'...

I totally agree, and am doing that today. My concern is that there is something wrong with the Axe Fx itself, preventing the Midi transfers. I don't want to get stuck with a bad unit right off the bat. The guys at Fractal told me to try using just one cable from the Midi out of the interface to the Midi in of the Axe, still get "Bad Checksum" on the Axe display when trying to send info to the Axe using MIDI-OX (reccomended by Fractal). Can anyone, that has theirs working, give me a diagram or description of how they have the Axe Fx hooked up to their midi interface, preferrably someone using an MAudio or EMU interface.

Also, are there any settings on the Axe Fx that could be causing the "Bad Checksum"?

axel said:
I totally agree, and am doing that today. My concern is that there is something wrong with the Axe Fx itself, preventing the Midi transfers. I don't want to get stuck with a bad unit right off the bat. The guys at Fractal told me to try using just one cable from the Midi out of the interface to the Midi in of the Axe, still get "Bad Checksum" on the Axe display when trying to send info to the Axe using MIDI-OX (reccomended by Fractal). Can anyone, that has theirs working, give me a diagram or description of how they have the Axe Fx hooked up to their midi interface, preferrably someone using an MAudio or EMU interface.

Also, are there any settings on the Axe Fx that could be causing the "Bad Checksum"?
Have you downloaded the latest drivers for your MAudio? Which MAudio are you using? Several people had trouble with some of the MAudio models, at least until they downloaded fresh drivers.

Assuming your midi interface is up to speed, and works properly:

Using MidiOX:
- Did you slow down the transfer, as per the release notes?
- Are you sure the .syx file you are trying to load into your Axe-FX is not corrûpt? Did you try downloading it again?

Using SendSX:
- I've personally had more luck with SendSX than with MidiOX... why not download it and try?
- Again, make sure you slow it down... if you're not sure how, ask away.

Dpoirier said:
Using SendSX:
- I've personally had more luck with SendSX than with MidiOX... why not download it and try?
- Again, make sure you slow it down... if you're not sure how, ask away.
Options > Settings > Speed of MIDI sending

I had problems with the former Editor and MidiOX, but a perfect 100% with SendSX.

Anyhow your MIDI input on the Axe works (you control it from the editor), it's just a configuration issue, I don't see the point in sending it back :cool:

Yes, I had tried both units with one and 2 cable connections. I got it working, FINALLY. Even though the Mididsport seemed to have installed properly, and everything but the data transfer from PC to Axe was working, I did an uninstall, and re-install on the Midisport software. That seems to have fixed it. The EMU Xmidi was doing exactly the same thing, and I never did get it to work. Both devices are Windows compiant (but apparently not Axe compliant). I don't understand why the Axe is so particular when it comes to Midi interface devices. :?

axel said:
I don't understand why the Axe is so particular when it comes to Midi interface devices. :?
The Axe-fx is not particular. What's different is the size of the midi data transfer. Midi is normally used for little things - like switch this on, switch that off, send a value of 128 here or there - whereas we're sending entire firmware code through midi to the Axe.

Any robust midi interface *can* handle it, when everything else is also fine tuned.

Daniel

I also have probs with my uno-midisport at times, several attempts and no device detected then all works, seems like the pc is a bit temperamental to the hook-up. I cannot get mine to locate the fcb-1010 at all . when it is all sorted though the standard is performing beyond what I expected.Even if there were no more up-grades it is all I will ever want. :D

Back
Top Bottom