New sounds for me.

Dixiethedog

Experienced
I bought my AX8 coming up for nearly 2 years ago now and its always been a cool play thing.
The previous owner had installed what I believe to be "aftermarket" patches (Mr Buddy's perhaps?). So I've pretty much left things alone with amps etc in the settings. However, the other day I was watching something on Youtube which got me thinking? I've never tried or experienced the factory standard presets.
So, yesterday I backed up my full system files and then uploaded the factory presets.
I'm really impressed with some of the new (to me) patches. This mornings fave patch is "savageness", with my LP it has inspired me to pick up my guitar again. I'm even today going to go and buy some new guitar strings! I feel like an excited teenager again wanting to pick up and play my guitar! And I'm 57 and a half....

Last edited:
Just picked up an AX8 today on eBay and I am 57 and 3/4's
I hope you get as much fun and enjoyment from your new ebay purchase as I have mine.
With our ages being similar, we could be considered to be at the old age of youth but at the youth of old age but these new fangled electronic toy things can make us old timers sound great.
I take it that you must be new to Fractal? If you are, your in the right place to pick up advice and tips.
Rock on!!
Dixiethedog
PS If you are new, you can pick up a lot of advice and tips from all of the product forums on here, not just the AX8 section.

I’m glad you’re feeling inspired. I’ve used the presets that Fractal provides, often with very little adjustment, while gigging live for years. The provided presets are actually very good examples to use in order to learn what you can do, how to construct a preset, how routing works, etc. I’ve learned a lot just by studying them, especially complex blocks like pitch, synth, and multidelay.

Its bliss here at the moment. :) My Mrs is out of the country and I'm home alone with my dogs, my AX8 and my fave Les Paul.
I can plug in at any time I fancy without any moaning and groaning from her and just play and fool around with gee-tars.
I was watching some Youtube videos last night and found this one. The amp used is "The Brit Brown" which was missing from my AX8 until the other day when I reset back to factory. I think it has a great tone for the Gary Moore "After Hours" time period and is todays favourite preset.
My only problem now is that I cant play as well as the chap in the video. :rolleyes: He has feel, tone and music in his soul. Obviously in a pact with some greater force like that Jack Butler chappy.

Noob here, also a young old guy, with new used ax8. How did you download er upload er restore the factory presets?
Suggestions for a Gary Richrath patch? Er I guess scene is the word?

Hi Namklak,
Congratulations on joining the Fractal community, I hope you get as much fun out of your AX8 as I have mine.
I have to be totally honest, I havent really got much of a clue as to restore the factory presets? From memory (and I could be wrong) I think I visited "The Fractal Bot" and worked from there? I absolutely hate people on forums who chip in with "use the search button", but nervously I am going to suggest you do a search. The real experts will have explained in better detail that I ever could in previous posts. If you get stuck, feel free to contact me again and I'll try to work it out for you.
As for Gary Richrath I'm not sure? I believe if memory serves me right that he used a Les Paul but after that I wouldnt know? If you can work out what amp(s) he used you should be able to get a sound in a similar ball park to get you started.
Good luck!
Brett

I used the search button. LOL!!!!!

Another thing to think about @Namklak , I believe you can convert AXE 11(2) patches over to AX8 when using AXE-EXCHANGE. This opens up another World of sounds to try out.

I'm your age, well, 57-5/6! And even though I don't have the same unit, I too experienced the new-found inspiration when I joined the Fractal "family", and also experienced the, well-now-I-wish-I-could-play-better, aspect of having gear like this. But it inspired me to play so much that I can honestly say my playing is better than ever, and I can do some things that really excite me. So hopefully you'll find some of the same pleasure.

It's definitely harder at 57 than it was at 17, or even 37, and improvement will take longer, but it can happen. I just lament that gear like this 20 or 30 years ago was so much more expensive that I never indulged myself. Because I believe if I had, I'd have been much better at an earlier age. I did try the cheaper alternatives, opting for an ART multi-effects unit that sounded cheesy, because it tried to do too much within the limits of processors at the time, but I couldn't justify the cost of individual, $2000 delays (TC2290) & reverbs (Lexicon PCM's, e.g.) And now, at least in the Axe III, those units are in the box! (sorry; not sorry ;))

Cool-sounding, great-sounding gear inspires me to improve my playing!

I bought my AX8 almost two years ago. The previous owner had loaded in the Austin Buddy Naked Amps package. I had tried a friend's AX8 with factory presets and had thought those would need so much tweaking for my needs. The Austin Buddy stuff gives me so much to work with and build upon. I have been playing since the mid 60's and have played though some great (and some not so great) amps and I am finding many different usable amps for a lot of different situations. Also with all the effects available how could one find limits? Every day seems to open a new door.

Hi @RedPaul58 ,
I bought my AX8 s/h and it was loaded with the Austin Buddy pack too.
I have backed the AB presets up and now I'm experimenting with the factory stuff which is pretty much all new to me.
All of patches/presets excellent in their own way.
I'm in the process of "trying" to buy some Adam studio monitors (From Facebook, where people don't answer their PM's!), so feel I'm well on the way to being able to achieve my very best tones ever!

Hey thanks for the idea. I backed up my presets and am going to give the factory presets another try. Glad you like your AX8.

Back
Top Bottom