New secret product from line6??

dupere11497

Experienced
Well well, it seems Line6 can't help it but copying Cliff's marketing strategy!! When you go on their website, you can read this big title "See change 1-19-12". Whatever it is, it's about time they change their modeling technology, it's been the same since the launch of the first POD nearly 15 years ago!! I don't care much about their product being perfectly happy with my Axe 2, just a little bit curious I guess!! Anyway, I doubt it's gonna be highend gear, their market is pretty well establish now around musicians on a budget mostly and that's fine. I just hope not to see on 1-10-12, on their website, a big 10, then the next day, a big 9....does it reminds you something?

My understanding is that there are a few companies getting into the AxeFx game. I am hearing that Roland is one of them. Maybe Line6 is too. Wouldn't surprise me.

I'm actually expecting some big surprises from line sux and Roland to be unleashed at NAMM in jan. Even players on a budget these days are looking at the axe with a gleam in their eyes, and a lot of them go to it eventually, working with line sux till they get to the budget. FAS has been VERY slowly, but VERY steadily creeping up to dominating the market for semi-pro to pro guitarists, and with the axe II things are starting to pick up some serious steam. If line sux and co. dont narrow the gap in modeller technology, they will be selling nothing but cheap stuff to beginners in 3-5years. With the floor/fx only version of the axe, I see even less people looking to these other companies and more to FAS.

Which also means FAS has to always stay on top of their game, which they are already excelling, and are miles ahead. ;)
However progress is inevitable, and in the next 3 years or so, modeling from even line sux would have gotten so good that the sounds between both units will be less apparent than today. But FAS, forging on with all sorts of innovative things like IR capture and brilliant fx will still be on top - the difference between FAS and the competition is their dedication to do the best they possibly can.

Im very unimpressed with L6 and Roland products. Its like they only make beginner to amateur gear now days. I mean the GR-55 is a great idea, but as far as road worthy, its an absolute joke. What pro is using this thing live, on the road, 4 or 5 nights a week? Answer- almost NO ONE!...
Axe-Fx II and content with it.

Im very unimpressed with L6 and Roland products. Its like they only make beginner to amateur gear now days. I mean the GR-55 is a great idea, but as far as road worthy, its an absolute joke. What pro is using this thing live, on the road, 4 or 5 nights a week? Answer- almost NO ONE!...
Axe-Fx II and content with it.
I wouldn't call the Cube amateur. Solid as a rock. Loud as all get out. Now... it may not be popular in many genres (especially metal, just lacks a tightness for me), but I can assure you in the jazz circles, this is a well respected workhorse amp.

I wouldn't call the Cube amateur. Solid as a rock. Loud as all get out. Now... it may not be popular in many genres (especially metal, just lacks a tightness for me), but I can assure you in the jazz circles, this is a well respected workhorse amp.
yes, and a vetta amp doesnt totally suck either, but we are talking about modeling.

Probably just a matter of time until the axe-fx gets some serious competition. Others usually catch up eventually.
Will this be the next great "amp modeller" (or whatever it's called) to knock the axe-fx off the top spot - my money is on "No".
I'll wait and see with interest either way - but so far line6's stuff is not for me.

Last edited:
yes, and a vetta amp doesnt totally suck either, but we are talking about modeling.
With you there. My approach with modelling amps is not to use them as a modeller. I just use them to get a multitude of great sounds for various genres. For instance, right now I am using the JC model on the Cube... not because it sounds like a JC-120 or anything. It honestly has a bite to it I don't recall getting from a 120.

What I am looking forward to with the AxeFx is the flexibility. The Cube falls down in its flexibility. It is what it is... and if you don't like it... keep shopping. The cool thing about the AxeFx besides how good it sounds, is that you can really use any of their modelled amps for a basis to building a tone that works for you. True, Line6 had this way back with their Pods... but I never really cared much for the way they sounded. I would spend YEARS tweaking and updating/upgrading those things and just wasn't happy.

Probably just a matter of time until the axe-fx gets some serious competition. Others usually catch up eventually.
Will this be the next great "amp modeller" (or whatever it's called) to knock the axe-fx off the top spot - my money is on "No".
I'll wait and see with interest either way - but so far line6's stuff is not for me.
+1 one to the whole thing... but especially the last part. My guess is what they consider good tone will continue... and I have never been to fond of that. More happy with their bass stuff... but guitar has been sorta.. meh.

I find it hard to imagine that L6 would abandon the HD modeling as their flagship so y soon after its release. The even more recent release of the Pod HD Pro makes that even more unlikely IMO. The "see" thing might indicate that the change is more visual than aural.

At this point how much credibility does L6 marketing have? Was HD modeling really all that and a bag o' chips? To me, the only L6 products that live up to the billing are the wireless gear and maybe the Variax. The core amp line has some useful tools but the way they churn the products, leaving owners with an apparently "obsolete" device is pretty frustrating.

They could release a modeling device that would be as good or better than any out there, but their business model just doesn't allow for this.
But with that said, they still manage to release some cool stuff for the guitar community, and I always check out what they have to offer.

Unless Cliff has sold the patent or licensed out the algos that he came up with it won't sound or feel like the Axe does.

I won't be surprised if a major brand or manufacturer approaches Fractal for this. Down the road, this may be a good move.

Their probably just going with the whole 'sex sells' marketing strategy. I bet they still have the same product line only this time it's surrounded by scantily clad plastic women. I mean it fits. At least in my mind. All their fake sounding aliased sad attempt at digital amp modeling surrounded by fake looking models using aliases as stage names.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

As to cube amps being respected in jazz circles... I'm on the fence on that one from my humble experience. I just returned to finish my jazz degree after a 6 year hiatus living out west, exploring, giving guitar lessons and surviving gig to gig... In the early 2000's the music school always had some Fender Hot Rods for us guitar players to play through. School costs have caused that tubes are too expensive and upon my return the rehearsal space has Roland cubes... They are passable but not the same. At the recitals though someone always brings out a Fender Deluxe instead for the guitarists to use. My jazz friends in Az usually went tube, ... Some of my SS jazz friends here go for Polytone and the like. I know Les Paul used a TradeMark 60 and having had one and used it instead of the cube I find it much richer... I think the cube gets a passable good sound, tone is in you fingers and the audience won't notice... But I do not know if I would call it "respected.." Not respected like a Polytone or a Deluxe at least.... Just my humble opinion from my slice in the universe... YMMV...

Their probably just going with the whole 'sex sells' marketing strategy. I bet they still have the same product line only this time it's surrounded by scantily clad plastic women.

I'm there!!

Anyone wanna buy a scantily clad Ax-Fx ll..i mean fractal Audio plastic women..i mean Ax-Fx ll!! :D

As to cube amps being respected in jazz circles... I'm on the fence on that one from my humble experience. I just returned to finish my jazz degree after a 6 year hiatus living out west, exploring, giving guitar lessons and surviving gig to gig... In the early 2000's the music school always had some Fender Hot Rods for us guitar players to play through. School costs have caused that tubes are too expensive and upon my return the rehearsal space has Roland cubes... They are passable but not the same. At the recitals though someone always brings out a Fender Deluxe instead for the guitarists to use. My jazz friends in Az usually went tube, ... Some of my SS jazz friends here go for Polytone and the like. I know Les Paul used a TradeMark 60 and having had one and used it instead of the cube I find it much richer... I think the cube gets a passable good sound, tone is in you fingers and the audience won't notice... But I do not know if I would call it "respected.." Not respected like a Polytone or a Deluxe at least.... Just my humble opinion from my slice in the universe... YMMV...
I suppose that is what you mean by 'respected'. What I mean is, the mention of the name, you tend to get "Good amp" and many a person has them for their workhorse. Not their optimal amp like what you might find in a Polytone. I have honestly heard the Cube referred to as the poor man's Polytone. I can see it.

I had a Hot Rod. It was ok. I actually prefer the Cube to it.

Back
Top Bottom