New Rocktron velocity vs tube power amp

jamic

Hello everybody
My set is axe fx ultra + vht 2/50/2 black beauty (europe edition with 6L6) + 2 cab yorkville pulse 115

i want to know if someone has compared the new rocktron velocity with a tube power amp

If i have the same quality with rocktron i'll change my 2 old cab with 2 jbl 115 for exemple
This changing cost me 0 euro by selling the vht.

Thanks for your answer

there will definitely be a LOT of difference between a SS power amp and a Tube power amp. That's what the tubes are for; to color the sound. I watched my friend switch between a ART SLA-2 and a VHT 2:90 or something like that and there was a vast difference. When I got my ART SLA-2, I tried between that and going into the return of my Uberschall. Of course the Uber's return sounded great. But all I needed was a Parametric eq to make the ART sound very close to the Uber's return. So, if you get the rocktron be prepared to do some equing. but the axe has all the tones to make them sound equivalent. ;)

I don't have a rack power amp to compare too but the Rocktron 300 compares favorably with using the power sections of my Mark IV. Its really about the reactance control on the Rocktron to me. I've tried a QSC power amp previously and thought it was too strident in the high mids/high end and "thin" sounding, but the Reactance control on the Rocktron is able to "round off" and "thicken" the tone in comparison to the QSC. It may be that there are controls in the AxeFx which can do the same thing with other power amps but the Rocktron is a nice 1U package and its nice to have the Reactance and Definition controls there just for a little global tweaking.

steveb said:
I don't have a rack power amp to compare too but the Rocktron 300 compares favorably with using the power sections of my Mark IV. Its really about the reactance control on the Rocktron to me. I've tried a QSC power amp previously and thought it was too strident in the high mids/high end and "thin" sounding, but the Reactance control on the Rocktron is able to "round off" and "thicken" the tone in comparison to the QSC. It may be that there are controls in the AxeFx which can do the same thing with other power amps but the Rocktron is a nice 1U package and its nice to have the Reactance and Definition controls there just for a little global tweaking.
Steve you kick ass man. I can't wait to get one of those Rocktron Velocity 300's. Before I read your posts I was going to get the ART SLA-2.

I have problems with my sound, i dont know if it's the tube of the vht witch are out or my cab.
With the rocktron, no problem with the tubes !

steveb said:
I don't have a rack power amp to compare too but the Rocktron 300 compares favorably with using the power sections of my Mark IV.

So do you it with cab & amp sims on or off? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about getting the Rocktron as well. Interested if anyone has tried it with the atomic passive wedges.

-Greg

stink said:
So do you it with cab & amp sims on or off? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about getting the Rocktron as well. Interested if anyone has tried it with the atomic passive wedges.

-Greg

power amp sims on, cab sims off since I'm going into a Mesa 3/4 back cab with EVM12L.

I bought the Velocity 300 based on steveb's review and he was dead on. I was using the SLA-1 and the mids and highs sounded harsh and sterile. I have been using tube amps many years and it took some doing to spring for the Axe-fx. After getting it I ran it through a Mosvalve 962, the SLA-1 before reading steveb's review. Was not happy at all. I started my rant about digital crap and stayed on the forum looking for the answer because the premise and power of the Axe-fx is awesome and I wanted to see it happen. Read his review, bought one and now I'm a happy player. The thing that makes the Velocity sweet is that if you are not someone that wants to get into the settings and tweak and experiment, all you have to do is turn the reactance control up to your liking and instantly the mids and highs are rounded somewhat like tubes do to a signal. You can always go in and tweak the Axe-fx a little if needed but you won't have to spend a lot of time in the Axe-fx. I set the reactance at 9:00 which suits my taste. I keep the definition off and don't seem to need it to get that smooth high end w/ some bite. Another big factor is the speaker cabinet used. I have a 1x12 I use(Lopoline w/WGS Veteran 30) and having the reactance control not only helps the mids and highs but adds some of that low end you get with 4x12 cabs. I like the sound of the 4x12 cab and have several but the 1x12 is focused and seems to help the guitar jump out in the mix. I'd like to try a 2x12 but I don't want to start adding weight again. The Velocity is a keeper for me and my needs and if you are looking for an answer to the sterile sound but don't want to carry around a 45+ lb power amp, this could be your answer too.

That's the problem
The weight and the price for changing the tubes
But the sound is important as you know ;)

Hey Steveb,
I just ordered a Rocktron 300. I also have a 1X12 single cab with an older 8 ohm vintage 30. Is there plenty of head room with the one channel?
Dunk

dunkin said:
Hey Steveb,
I just ordered a Rocktron 300. I also have a 1X12 single cab with an older 8 ohm vintage 30. Is there plenty of head room with the one channel?
Dunk

The Rocktron is 300 watts at 8ohms bridged. The V30 breaking up is going to be more of a limit to clean headroom than the Rocktron in that rig. I use a cab with 1 EVM12L and it gets way louder than I need it to be clean, but ultimately it depends on how loud you play. V30's break up too early for me which is why I don't use them, every thing ends up sounding more like the V30 than the amp IMO, unless you use a bunch of them which is probably why V30 stacks work well.

Back
Top Bottom