New Practice Rig - B Rig

Genghis

Power User
Well, I've been a Fractal guy since I got my Ultra several years ago. I've had a couple of versions of the AFX II, and then I had to pick up the AFX III as early as possible. I absolutely love it, but...

I'm starting a new band project and need to go as compact as possible, at least for rehearsals. We'll be playing a variety of styles, from older R&B, Blues, classic rock, to probably even a touch of metal. While I know my AFX III will cover that well, I decided to pick up an AX8 so I have something quick and compact for rehearsals. For bigger gigs, I may find myself using the Axe-FX III, but I damn sure don't want to haul that rig to every rehearsal, and besides that I still don't have what I'd call an adequate controller for live use. (Morningstar MC-6 does some of the basics, but it seems to keep losing what I have programmed at random times, so I will not rely on it.)

Just ordered it last night, and I'm sure I'll peruse the manual a bit before it arrives. I've used most everything Fractal has to offer, so it shouldn't take me too long to get up to speed. Wish me luck, and I hope I don't miss the over the top horsepower of my Axe-FX III rig too much. Pretty sure it will work out fine though.

Good luck,

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I sold my AxeFX rig to get the AX8 for gigging. I found I wasn't using 2 amps a time etc that comes with the AXE FX II and my presets were limited to about 3. My presets aren't CPU intensive. Plus I wanted to be more portable. Mine's arriving on Wednesday.

At some point I may get the AXE III for studio use but I'm looking forward to having a more grab-and-go setup. I'm working on reconfiguring my pedalboard while I wait.

Same boat here.

Although, I had the Standard for over a decade, so the AX8 will be a step up. It arrives on Wednesday.

Hope we have enough life preservers in this boat.

Same boat here.

Although, I had the Standard for over a decade, so the AX8 will be a step up. It arrives on Wednesday.

Hope we have enough life preservers in this boat.
They're not really necessary, not too many people jumping out of the boat and I don't see any reason it will sink :cool:.
Those who jump out are holding too heavy an anchor for a life jacket to help them anyway :D.

Who's jumping ship. No intention of leaving behind my Axe-FX III, just wanted something in addition that would be more portable for rehearsals and probably even gigs for as while. I'm sure by the time I recover from the hip surgery I'm having in March, I'll be ready to haul the big rig around for any worthwhile gigs, but plugging in a pedalboard that has it all just makes too much sense right now.

Got it yesterday. Glad I did. Gonna work great for a more portable rig. And if I get into a situation where I feel like I wanna use the big rig, it's a great backup.

Congrats! Got mine the same day. They must have been in the same the shipment that a drone brought to our boat.

I have been using the AX8 for performance for a few years now. Awesome FAS tone in a very portable rig. To say I am extremely happy with it would be a gross understatement.

Back
Top Bottom