New owner intimidation

First thing you'll notice is not about the machine, but rather how fn awesome the forum's community really is by all the support they lend and ideas shared. Major confidence booster. They are awesome. I'm still learning myself so all I can add is just make simple good sounds first and although it's great too, do NOT go down the tonematching rabbit hole yet, lol

You should go to YouTube and type in "AXE FX" or "AXE FX XL" and you will get a LOT of videos.

Watch any of the AXE FX videos (except for the Standard or Ultra) and you'll get at least a basic idea of how to navigate through it but more likely you will find some really good How-To videos.

For example:

Last edited:
It should get here today. Have a feeling will be the best gear I’ll have.

I’ve not found those specific vids but some I see almost scare me as in this guy should stop trying to be cool and just inform me.

Watched one where thecooper setup x,y states and multiple amp in one preset looks crazy versatile.

As far as firmware is it like most things I just update to the latest or is it where I have to find a certain firmware for my type of axe unit as in xl

Been watching these vids and others waiting on it to get here. I wanna be sedated. anticipation killing me. I know buckethead used evh 5150 I rlly don’t see why he doesn’t ditch them. Looked at the mfc -101 but it came with behringer cheapo if I can find the other one for 350$ like it is on reverb I’d say it’s a buy

Last edited:
Ok guys so here’s the deal. Friggen love the axe fx. A monster. Can’t afford the 3 or foot controller atm but I heard it was plug and play. I have behringer fcb 1010.

Problem is I have no clue how to use the midi program software. All I can do is turn it on. Prices on eBay are steep and I’m banned from reverb for life. Don’t send pics of you middle finger to ppl that rip you off.

Reverb does have it for 350 should I suck it up and pay twice as much on eBay is it truly plug and play cause I hate programming tv remotes so midi is super meh

Stretch to a second hand MFC101? I picked one up one from eBay in ‘moderate’ condition but it works 100% faultlessly and it was pretty cheap ... its an amazing addition to the AF2 and I don’t think anything else works as nicely without a lot of fiddling around.

Ok guys so here’s the deal. Friggen love the axe fx. A monster. Can’t afford the 3 or foot controller atm but I heard it was plug and play. I have behringer fcb 1010.

Problem is I have no clue how to use the midi program software. All I can do is turn it on. Prices on eBay are steep and I’m banned from reverb for life. Don’t send pics of you middle finger to ppl that rip you off.

Reverb does have it for 350 should I suck it up and pay twice as much on eBay is it truly plug and play cause I hate programming tv remotes so midi is super meh
Even with an MFC you are still going to have to do some programming, most likely.

The FCB can definitely work... But you're gonna have to program it.

Ok sounds good.

Tried listening to recordings thru my studio speakers , 2x jbl last 305s. Sounds totally different playing back than recording. Maybe it might be I just got some really good flat monitors and it’s really tonal in the high freqs with no low mids or lows to speak of. I know 5 inch ones won’t have much bass but kind of sounds like old boom box 80s stuff.

Might have it hooked wrong. Out from ace to line in on my m audio 2x2m then speaker out of interface to monitors. Haven’t tried using the input on front of audio interface. That’s what I used to use

Last edited:
Cool that you're enjoying it!
Why not get a friend to purchase it from Reverb?
Thanks
Pauly

I bought one of those (fcb 1010) and I'm happy with it. Mine came with the eurekaprom chip though witch is already programmed to change presets, channels and turn on/off effects with the axe. I just had to set the correct values on the Axe itself.

Cool that you're enjoying it!
Why not get a friend to purchase it from Reverb?
Thanks
Pauly

Well I would if I could find one that trustworthy. The most trustworthy friend I have is my ex fiancé that lives 1500 miles away. I asked her when we were speaking but I can’t even get her to send me clothes of mine. It’s a long story

No...not the ex!
Well - all I can suggest then, is to enlist the help of someone close by (or online) that has the same axe fx model and foot controller.
From there, using charm and wit, get them to send you a backup of their system settings in the axe fx, and the midi.sysex for the controller.
Then - all you need to do is figure out how to load the system setting file into the axe fix (wise to take pictures of every screen in the settings so you can return the non midi controller related stuff to what you need), and how to load the sysex into the controller.
Hope you can figure it out! I don’t have my old axe fix 2 or 2xl any more otherwise we could work it out together!
Good luck
Pauly

If you use the UNO or Eureka chip in the FCB, then you don't need to program it using the "pedal dance" method, as both of those chips come with programming applications that you can run on a computer.

You really don't need anything more than the FCB to get started. It works great.

Yeah I hope I didn’t screw it up. It has that eureka prom chip in it but first thing I did was wipe it clean idk if it did anything to the chip or not I did a factory reset and updated firmware

As far as my continued learning I realized some presets are not created equal as far as translating what you hear directly to a recording. But I updated to v11 says quantum in fractalbot but says ares in the UI display on the axe fx

I don’t listen to misha but he’s super prolific at patches and love him for that. Some of those patches record perfect what I hear to the recording. It seems as if black winter pickups I have on bridge setting are just too nasally for me on most clean settings but I figured at that output around 17k is why

Ok so I figured out why I was getting weird sounds in cubase like underwater weirdness. It was cubase. I just recorded direct to maschine and it sounds just like the preset. Pristine. I’ve also been making and editing stuff. It’s not hard it’s just deep. Epic deep. ⚽️ deep infact

So my next step is it downloads there’s so many. Ownhammer for instance. What should I start with for good clean crunch and heavy combinations with say a plexiglass/jcm800/5150. I know stock has some but I wanna try ownhammer I heard they are really sweet.

Also based off factory presets does anyone know of a list of the most expensive ones modeled. I know there’s dumble but i didn’t know it was labeled ODS

If not I think it would be great for someone to make one. The last modeler I owned was a pod 1.0 red bean. Came a long way in a short lifetime. No reason for line six to try to compete. Sorry mehlix!!
Thx for helping!

Last edited:
Asking for what IR's to get is going down a subjective rabbit hole. Everybody likes different things and one man's trash is another man's treasure. The only really good advice would be to try. Get a looper, play a chord progression or riff into it and cycle through IR's while it plays.
And why knock the Helix if you never tried it? Plenty of famous artists use it and it's not really a competitor of the Axe II, it's aimed at a different market segment. The one where the AX-8 competes in.

Well amp packs are like fifty bucks. Can’t seem to find the actual one free file from ownhammer. I mean I’m obviously asking opinions and give parameters. I do a lot of research, years worth in fact. which leads me to any YouTube comparison of un edited recordings which subjectively helix fails hands down just on accuracy. Why not show enthusiasm for something I’ve researched for years and poke fun at competitors. Any cursory search for comparisons will almost always be saying axe is better stock.

Last I read any rules rabbit holes were legal.

I don’t like anything other than ui and scribble scripts as far as I’m concerned making sound is most important. And as music is personal very little is fact based so. Why WOULDNT I want opinions

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom