new overwhelmed user

I struggle with the many options for deep editing occasionally, feeling overwhelmed simply because they exist and I cant say how each impacts the end result.

But at the end of the day - you dont really need to to get some AMAZING tones. Ive never been happier with a single piece of gear, and have ended my search of 20 years through hundreds of amps and pedals. Axe for 2 yrs and counting now :)

thanks guys!! the problem i'm having is with is tone. like i plug in head headphones and i'm just blown away buy the sound. but when i plug in to my monitors it sounds fizzy and boomy(on the recto red patch using the recto red model.)

by the way-- ALWAYS tune your patches at volume. I rarely find a patch that I create using headphones sounds good at volume (and vice versa).

...and make sure to have excellent headphones and monitors. Many people that are unhappy with their sounds pair the top notch modeller with crappy monitors or headphones - since FW7 the sound is no longer limited by the AXE but by the gear to make the sound loud.

Think of it as an actual amp, cabinet and pedalboard. The advanced parameters are just that ADVANCED. I prefer to think of them as if I had a soldering iron, multimeter and screwdriver in the room with a real amp. I think that only about 1% of people on this planet would dial in their tone with those tools. The adjustments that would be on the front of the amp are what you should concentrate on because to be quite frank the amp models are really good right now. So if you have no idea what it does don't get alarmed.

The cabinet selection is the single biggest factor to your tone after you decide which amp to use. The wiki has a great section that shows which cabs would be used in real life with which amps. Start with those to be safe and just pick one that sounds good. Don't over analyze or try to make something that doesn't sound close into something that its not because you think that it should sound a certain way....if that makes any sense. Basically don't get hung up on the names or what they are modeled after as the final answer; if it's not there then move on to another cabinet.

And start with just the amp and cabinet to dial in the fundamental tone. All the effects and stuff are great, but they can confuse the process initially. Once you get your basic tone dialed in then start adding effects. They are pretty simple once you get in there IMHO.

Once you get familiar with the layout and basic workflow then refer to the wiki and do searches on this forum for specific things you are looking for. There is a very small chance that anything that you come up with hasn't already been done and discussed to death.

And lastly, just play the thing. Don't try to sit there and make 100 patches over the weekend. You should enjoy it and the more time you get used to the feel and nuances of it the more comfortable you will be with it. The tone and volume knobs are HUGELY useful with the AxeFXII and I personally use maybe 3 patches and dial it in to taste with the guitar's controls and my attack. Its amazing how it reacts to your playing.

OK, one last thing. Save your patch regularly anytime you find something good about it. If you ever get yourself into trouble you can just go up a patch and come back and the last saved version will load. Its very nice to be able to have a 'do over' when you start getting into this thing.

Don't forget to enjoy it.

thanks guys!! the problem i'm having is with is tone. like i plug in head headphones and i'm just blown away buy the sound. but when i plug in to my monitors it sounds fizzy and boomy(on the recto red patch using the recto red model.)

Sounds like maybe you don't have the cabinet simulation turned on. Without that, all the amp models will sound very fizzy and boomy unless you are playing through an actual guitar cabinet. Also, make sure the "Sag" control is not on zero (fully CCW), this defeats the power amp simulation, which might also degrade your tone when playing direct.

Back
Top Bottom