new or lightly used?

kmachman

Inspired
I am looking to buy an Axe FX II... I have found one locally here in Canada for $2100 Canadian used only 4 months old... Should i get that one or wait for the XL? I would save exchange and taxes and shipping, but is it worth it to not have a warranty and not have the new features of the XL?

What say you??? :)

I bought lightly used - been great with no issues

If you really need the extra 'storage' (not processing power) and connectivity of the XL, then go for it, otherwise, a used but appropriately looked after II will save you some cash
thumbsup.gif

So they are the same exact processing power? The XL just has more internal memory for preset locations? Yeah that would make up my mind there... Going with the used... But from what i understand the warranty is not transferable... is that true? Should that be a concern? Are there many issues with these units?
Is there an easy way to tell if the unit is a mark II? Is it clearly labeled AXE FX II Mark II?

No major issues, no and whilst the very nature of forums means that we hear of things going awry, the fail rate is low

Some Eproms go squiffy during update and there's a few reports of power supply failures here and there, but you can get a spare of either 'just in case', or sort them if they become an issue

Any failure could randomly happen to a new one just as easily as one that's a year old, so there's no really compelling reason either way
smile.gif

I'd definitely go new - and I'd personally go XL for the connections, extra X/Y options and more user IR slots.
Maybe the XL features are not important to many, but since the IR's are such a huge part in getting the best from the Axe, being able to have most of all your IR's loaded in the box at any given time would mean a lot to me.

I agree with Mr. Cover'd. If it's over a couple/few months old, your chances of infantile failure are pretty low. Thing'll probably last somewhere near forever. They don't get hot or vibrate themselves to death like tube amps, nor do they have monster electrolytics in them to dry out. I wouldn't worry about a used one.

The newer units do have better connections, though. Something to consider.

Thanks guys!

I have decided to buy new, and to wait for the XL. If i am going to make the plunge i may as well get the best there is and not be kicking myself down the road… The extra IR slots will be great from what i am reading… Without ever trying one of these out i do not really know what i need or want… so I will get the model that has everything and that should last me a long time…

Now… Just gotta wait for my invitation for the XL!!!

Probably a wise choice, and your reasoning is good. It usually only costs a little more to go first class and you're rarely sorry.

I got Axefx II off some 18 year old for $1500 and it was basically brand new (St. Albert, Alberta). I guess his parents bought it for him and then he stopped playing guitar? Lol his mom even drove him to my place so I could check it out! Classic Rich St Albert Kids .. Still had the F'n plastic on the screen! Considering you could get a new one shipped for around 2500$ n change, I'd say get him down to $1800 or just buy new.

Kijiji can be fun :)

EDIT: I've seen that you decided to go new. Wise choice as the Warranty is always nice to have if you need it! Now brings the longest few days of your life! Enjoy when you get it!

haha… no kidding!!!

Damn i wish i would have gotten your deal! $1500? Good for you!

The guy that i am dealing with is really firm on the $2100… he is actually still on the fence about selling. he wants money to fund a new custom guitar build…

And yes Cagey you are right… like my dad always tells me…”it only cost 10% more to go first class”… And usually i always do go for the latest and the greatest when purchasing big ticket items like this.

Total landed at my door with the AFX-XL & MFC-101 - shipping, duty, taxes, exchange rate… $4000 CAN. OUCH!!!

So…. March is almost over!!! I don’t want to lose too much sleep, so please release those XL’s soon!!!

Total landed at my door with the AFX-XL & MFC-101 - shipping, duty, taxes, exchange rate… $4000 CAN. OUCH!!!

Yeah, it's a pricey little devil. But, you'll soon find that it's the best money you've ever spent on musical gear, and for the most part you won't have to spend any more. Everything you want is in there, plus a million things.

I am looking to buy an Axe FX II... I have found one locally here in Canada for $2100 Canadian used only 4 months old... Should i get that one or wait for the XL? I would save exchange and taxes and shipping, but is it worth it to not have a warranty and not have the new features of the XL?

What say you??? :)

I think the fact that the very first significant upgrade to XL which does not extend to the Axe-Fx II, will certify that you made the right choice in getting the XL. I believe that's when you will see a mass change in direction of the herd as people move from the II to the XL.:)

Back
Top Bottom