New (old) Guitar Day

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
I've been wanting to add a 540 Power model to my collection of Ibanez guitars for a while, but they tend to be a bit pricey compared to other models from the same era since they were made in only 1 year (1987).

I found the body on eBay a couple weeks ago for $80, including the switches and output jack. The rest of the parts came from my small inventory.

I put everything together yesterday and finished wiring it up today. Unfortunately, I think the bridge pickup has an issue of some sort that I need to sort out.

Pics look a bit pink, but it's actually bright red.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 60
I've been wanting to add a 540 Power model to my collection of Ibanez guitars for a while, but they tend to be a bit pricey compared to other models from the same era since they were made in only 1 year (1987).

I found the body on eBay a couple weeks ago for $80, including the switches and output jack. The rest of the parts came from my small inventory.

I put everything together yesterday and finished wiring it up today. Unfortunately, I think the bridge pickup has an issue of some sort that I need to sort out.

Pics look a bit pink, but it's actually bright red.
Great find. I really miss the 80s. Living through that era, I never thought about how one day some things I took for granted would be be so desirable decades later.

BTW we have the same concept for a workshop space. Whenever the Mrs sees my soldering iron on the dining table, she rolls her eyes, "Another project!"

Great find. I really miss the 80s. Living through that era, I never thought about how one day some things I took for granted would be be so desirable decades later.

BTW we have the same concept for a workshop space. Whenever the Mrs sees my soldering iron on the dining table, she rolls her eyes, "Another project!"
It's funny how it almost always is just a guitar, a screwdriver and a soldering iron, and before I know it the whole table is covered.

And I've got bits and pieces stored in various locations, so finding this pickup or that switch, etc, is like a little treasure hunt!

It's funny how it almost always is just a guitar, a screwdriver and a soldering iron, and before I know it the whole table is covered.

And I've got bits and pieces stored in various locations, so finding this pickup or that switch, etc, is like a little treasure hunt!
Its funny! never seen a guitar builder with flowers on the work bench, nice touch! Its cool to do a project like that, you put in a little blood, sweat, and tears and a bunch of stuff becomes something !

Its funny! never seen a guitar builder with flowers on the work bench, nice touch! Its cool to do a project like that, you put in a little blood, sweat, and tears and a bunch of stuff becomes something !
The funny thing is that i almost moved them out of the shot, but then I figured they'd been there the whole time!

I have 5 or 6 guitars "vintage" I have built from parts... Some refinished, some not, but they are all among my favorites

The 540 Rs are also great guitars for the price.

Attachments

• ibanez3.jpg
    ibanez3.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 540R-1987-BB-1-slant2.jpg
    540R-1987-BB-1-slant2.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 7
The 540 Rs are also great guitars for the price.

Yes... I built an '87 a few years ago and it's probably my favorite:

radius1.jpg

radius2.jpg

These pics don't really do it a lot of justice... but it's got an '87 S540 Wizard neck on it, which I like better than the Ultra necks that come stock on them.

My son did the paint... there are a bunch of "ghost" logos (TMF - TooMuchFiction) from my band that are only faintly visible.

Those are really great guitars, and fun to play. One of my college buddies had a black version of that guitar, and it was a terrific rock guitar. Those 80s Wizard necks were seriously good.

Back
Top Bottom