New OH Studio Mix IR demo's (w/classic metal context)

swass

Power User
I've had the privilege of working with Kevin through the beta process for the new IR's (a new experience for me). I just wanted to pop up a snippet of a "classic metal" song (one take with clams and all) demoing the classic speakers used from the era and of these particular Marshall cabs... with the exceptions of the "Fane 122142 Purpleback" and "V-30's"... they just simply had to be done.

The files I chose are the "Live Vintage" IR's,(OH pre-mixed) but you can mix your own with the individual mic's,(with their respective placements) with the other speakers that can mix up some killer IR's. I have my go to "homie" IR's but that has radically changed with the Rola's, and pre-Rola's... not to mention the V-30UK in this cab.

I used a custom Strat (stacked humbucks) and the Friedman HBE amp sim with the identicle settings throughout. Bare in mind the clips and IR's used is for a simple demonstration of the difference between speakers. As far as any post...I just used, "high and low pass" eq-ing. The bass on the backing track was overdubbed after the isolation process and is out of tune with itself in certain spots which made it a real pain to deal with but got it to a place where it's tolerable to listen to.. I hope...(tongue in cheek). Don't know if I did the IR's any justice but... what the heck.

Peace,

Last edited:
Awesome!! Like the Pre Rola's and English v30 ,Fane a lot!!!! All of them actually!

Downloaded the Vintage Collection & have been playing with the various Celestions with the Trip Tiks -absolutely killer!! Great job guys!

The thing I like about these (just from a user perspective) is just how easy it is to get killer IR's/mixes. And as Scott Peterson has mentioned, (in previous postings) about setting the pans in the cab block to center, adjusting levels to taste. Incredibly easy to accomplish stellar mixes... even for IR junkies, such as myself. I still enjoy the, "rabbit hole" at times because I'm somewhat OCD and a "tweaker" at heart... but as much as I try, I simply cannot argue with the results of the current IR quality following Scott's simple recipe. Plus the recipe is a great way to fall back on as a "for certain/instant gratification" when ear fatigue sets in.

Last edited:
Got the vintage and modern.
They sound great and its not as overwhelming as other versions.
Is median a blend of modern/vintage and studio/live?

Got the vintage and modern.
They sound great and its not as overwhelming as other versions.
Is median a blend of modern/vintage and studio/live?

Will copy over my response from TGP in case anyone here is wondering the same:

Median is just a different mix of the individual microphones, as are all of the 5 mix files per power amp type. What I am willing to disclose about the mixes is in the PDF manual, which is in the .._Docs.zip file and also downloadable directly from the bottom of the product pages in the web store.

From the Manual:

"MEDIAN
Custom mix of the CND 70, DYN 57, DYN 421, and RBN 121 mic options. Intended to bridge the gap in sound between the Live and Studio files’ general voicing."

As well as those on TGP, glad you guys here are digging these also! :)

Without revealing your methods, can you explain the difference in sound between live & studio? Are live mixes brighter? Are studio mixes more compressed? What are the characteristics of what you are calling live vs. studio?

Live has a more 'cone' oriented sound than Studio, however without losing too much top end as would be typical if only using a single mic to achieve the effect. FWIW, the actual levels of the mics in the mixes will not be disclosed but the mics that are present in each of the mix files is listed in the PDF Manual.

Are these libraries available for those who have empty slots from the jumpstarter series of the V2 irs?

(Copied from my response a few minutes ago at TGP in case useful here also)

From the first page of the e-mail blast from yesterday:

"Firstly, I'd like to inform anyone who may not yet be aware, that all Jump Starter orders have had the 'slots' converted to in-store credit via the Gift Certificate system in the OwnHammer web store. In this way, Jump Starter participants have been credited the amount that their available slots were 'worth' based on the original pricing structure. The Gift Certificate balance has no restriction on use, and can be applied to any commercial offerings on the site. I have adjusted the code in the transactional system to automatically apply the balance at the proper point in the checkout process, so this is completely transparent to users. If the Gift Certificate balance is greater than the cart total, you will not be forwarded to PayPal and the transaction will complete all on the site. This alleviates all need to email in for manual order fulfillment henceforth, everything is now automated!"

(Copied from my response a few minutes ago at TGP in case useful here also)

From the first page of the e-mail blast from yesterday:

"Firstly, I'd like to inform anyone who may not yet be aware, that all Jump Starter orders have had the 'slots' converted to in-store credit via the Gift Certificate system in the OwnHammer web store. In this way, Jump Starter participants have been credited the amount that their available slots were 'worth' based on the original pricing structure. The Gift Certificate balance has no restriction on use, and can be applied to any commercial offerings on the site. I have adjusted the code in the transactional system to automatically apply the balance at the proper point in the checkout process, so this is completely transparent to users. If the Gift Certificate balance is greater than the cart total, you will not be forwarded to PayPal and the transaction will complete all on the site. This alleviates all need to email in for manual order fulfillment henceforth, everything is now automated!"

Works really well Kevin.. nice and smooth. Thanks for all the effort (past, present and future) to develop these IRs. I just dl'ed the vintage late last night but have yet to dive in. Looking forward to it..

This all sounds great, think I'm going to pick up the vintage:encouragement: Good to know about not being to overwhelming,there was so much with the other IR's I gave up,stuck with the stock from the axe ,guess I'll dive into them again :D

Ok, I couldn't resist. I downloaded the Modern today. Again, just like the Vintage, they're really outstanding. Between the Fractal Producer Pack IRs, the ones built into the AF2, and Kevin's, if you can't make some great tones with everything at your disposal, then it's time to go back to the Peavey Backstage 30 and a stompbox!!

I have a question for Kevin, or anyone else that happens to know:

If I select a speaker and a mic, how many positions can you chose from? It used to be 9, but from what I understand, that's no longer the case?

You understand correctly but you do have three voicing's to choose from. (ex: SM57- SS, T1 or T2)

If you go into the 'Mics' sub-folder, each mic has a singular position, but 3 power amp options. With the Studio Mix Libraries, mic position is static to any given mic.

Home run Kevin!! These IR's sound AWESOME!! Like the speakers I hear in my head!!!

Back
Top Bottom