New o/d discovery

Hi all,

I've had the fx8 for just over 3 months now and have been endlessly tinkering with the overdrives. I just couldn't get to something I really liked that fitted what I play. Don't get me wrong I love a lot of the overdrives on the fx8 but the ones I like are a bit squashed sounding, which is fine but not for the music I play.

The closest I got was using the ruckus patch and I was fairly happy with that until today. I was messing around with the shred distortion(not normally my thing at all) when I turned the gain right down, I mean practically off, that sounded pretty good. I then lowered the lower cut off to around 650k and bumped the bass up by about 3.5. Absolutely loving this sound and I could never expect it from the shred dist patch.

I didn't stop there, I then tried putting a Timmy patch in front of it and there it was!! Welcome to Friedman/ Marshall territory, a nice big, rich sounding drive that when boosted for solos just encourages you to really dig into the strings!! Exactly what I wanted!! It just goes to show that it's worth playing around, even with fx that you never thought would suit!!

Hi all,

I've had the fx8 for just over 3 months now and have been endlessly tinkering with the overdrives. I just couldn't get to something I really liked that fitted what I play. Don't get me wrong I love a lot of the overdrives on the fx8 but the ones I like are a bit squashed sounding, which is fine but not for the music I play.

The closest I got was using the ruckus patch and I was fairly happy with that until today. I was messing around with the shred distortion(not normally my thing at all) when I turned the gain right down, I mean practically off, that sounded pretty good. I then lowered the lower cut off to around 650k and bumped the bass up by about 3.5. Absolutely loving this sound and I could never expect it from the shred dist patch.

I didn't stop there, I then tried putting a Timmy patch in front of it and there it was!! Welcome to Friedman/ Marshall territory, a nice big, rich sounding drive that when boosted for solos just encourages you to really dig into the strings!! Exactly what I wanted!! It just goes to show that it's worth playing around, even with fx that you never thought would suit!!

Timmy patch??? What is that?

I use the shred with the gain really low into a fender blues deluxe and it is IMO definitely the closest to a driven marshall sound I have tried to use in front of a clean amp from the FX-8. I use another drive in front of it to juice the gain for solos. Usually a TS style, BB, Zen, etc for the solo gain boost...just like I do with regular pedals.

Back
Top Bottom