New MKii, will the noise go away with humbusters?

Dave-o

this unit sounds great! But dang it hums like a strat under a fluorescent light fixture.. will the hum go away with humbuster cables? I tried it straight in front of the amp and the 4CM. Amp is a bad cat hot cat 50r clean channel. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
My setup works great with the 4cm method using humbuster cables in the clean. What I found in some cases is that the power could be plugged into different outlets and you need an Ebtech Noise filter in between to stop the hum. If all the ground loops are taken care of your clean channel should not be noisy. Change out the cables. Use different power sources if you have a ground lift then try that.

I also had issues with some 9 volt Boss like (not Boss) power adapters were noisy. I had to get rid of a few of those as well.

Some people use TRS cables as they can work as well. If you have some try those. If you have access to a friends amplifier try that as well and see if the noise goes away. It could be the Bad Cat.

My setup works great with the 4cm method using humbuster cables in the clean. What I found in some cases is that the power could be plugged into different outlets and you need an Ebtech Noise filter in between to stop the hum. If all the ground loops are taken care of your clean channel should not be noisy. Change out the cables. Use different power sources if you have a ground lift then try that.

I also had issues with some 9 volt Boss like (not Boss) power adapters were noisy. I had to get rid of a few of those as well.

Some people use TRS cables as they can work as well. If you have some try those. If you have access to a friends amplifier try that as well and see if the noise goes away. It could be the Bad Cat.

Thx! I plugged it into my supro as well with the same results. I’m hoping the TRS cables take care of it. With my previous pedal board I’ve never had any noise issues.

After discovering the search button I found some great info! I don't have the amp and fx8 plugged into the same outlet... (same room, different outlet). Not sure if they are on the same circuit or not (my house is over 100 yrs old). I have a feeling that this is most of what's happening. Ill be making some TRS cables once I find some TRS plugs. I'm also learning about ground loops, something I did not know about in the past.

After discovering the search button I found some great info! I don't have the amp and fx8 plugged into the same outlet... (same room, different outlet). Not sure if they are on the same circuit or not (my house is over 100 yrs old). I have a feeling that this is most of what's happening. Ill be making some TRS cables once I find some TRS plugs. I'm also learning about ground loops, something I did not know about in the past.
Yes that can do it. I have a rule when I hook up gear I start with a single outlet then I feed all of my electronics with that outlet using high quality power bars. It goes around the room and feeds all of my amps pedals monitors mains etc. Thus eliminating ground loops. If that doesn't work I insert an Ebtech Hum Eliminator on the device that may be causing the noise if it still persists. Ebtech also has gear for TRS and XLR cables. If you find a cable noisy then you place it in between the original device and the device it's connected to.

And by the way I did mention that in my original reply.

[QUOTE=" What I found in some cases is that the power could be plugged into different outlets [/QUOTE]

I've had the same issue, the buzz only goes away when I am on a split coil position on my strat, otherwise it has a terrible buzz. I've got it on a furman power conditioner and i've tried the Ebtech and nothing seems to help. I would love to hear if the humbuster cables help! Interestingly, I did use a friends axe 8 with no buzz, maybe it's just something with the mkii.

I've had the same issue, the buzz only goes away when I am on a split coil position on my strat, otherwise it has a terrible buzz. I've got it on a furman power conditioner and i've tried the Ebtech and nothing seems to help. I would love to hear if the humbuster cables help! Interestingly, I did use a friends axe 8 with no buzz, maybe it's just something with the mkii.
Fender single coil use is always noisy. That's the issue with single coil pickups. The Split is putting 2 coils together like a humbucker. If you played a humbucker pickup there would be no noise at all.

Thx
Fender single coil use is always noisy. That's the issue with single coil pickups. The Split is putting 2 coils together like a humbucker. If you played a humbucker pickup there would be no noise at all.
And by the way I did mention that in my original reply.

[QUOTE=" What I found in some cases is that the power could be plugged into different outlets
[/QUOTE]

Thx Bob! I plugged everything in the same power strip and the buzz is gone if I plug directed to front of amp. There’s a much lower buzz with the four cable method but I believe the new cables will take care of that.

Back
Top Bottom