New Mission Io?

I recall hearing about this a while back... Also, I think it's called the "io" not "lo" (I not L).

I listen to it at NAMM and it sounds great (as many of Mission products do).
I think that to know availability and so on you better drop a mail to James at Mission Engineering.

I would also like to know some more about this. I'm very interested but information is extremely sparse. They show, and have for a time now, as in-stock on their website with a link to buy but have seen or heard nothing since a few write ups around the time of NAMM.

Well I still have seen ZERO on this and I'm mighty curious. I just got an Atomic CLR and thinking about trying a Xitone (probably the wedge) or this Mission Io. Much as I'm doing with the AX8 and soon to arrive Helix it just seems that the only way to end up with a rig I'm completely happy with is through some in person auditioning over time.

With the Helix and AX8 it's really no big deal to flip one, I bought each used and can easily sell either unit without having it cost me much at all. Not so easy to flip (or ship!) a cab though :(

BUMP! Almost a year old thread. Has anyone tried one of these? $899, 12" Neo, 450 watt, 29lbs FR, in-stock and looks like a tiny slant 4x12.

I found a few threads about the Mission Gemini cabs but still nothing on this GM-IO. I've been using guitar cabs a very long time, thinking about testing the FRFR waters again. It used to be this forum would be all over a new FRFR solution and you could read reviews for days.

GM-Io_front-v2_web-1.jpg

GM-Io_rear-v2_web.jpg

Last edited:
FYI, I am pretty sure AccuGroove also makes an FRFR in a traditional cab form factor... If that is what you're looking for.

Thanks, I've read reviews on the Xitone M Britt and AccuGroove and they are on my shortlist for sure.

This Mission IO looks cool though, I would have thought Cooper Carter or someone would have made a video review by now. It got a good review from Guitar Player mag in June.. but who trusts reviews from guitar mags? :) The ONLY other user review I could find anywhere as of today was a few brief comments from one user on the Kemper forum:
https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/37154-FRFR-Cab-Mission-Engineering-Io/

Thanks, I've read reviews on the Xitone M Britt and AccuGroove and they are on my shortlist for sure.

This Mission IO looks cool though, I would have thought Cooper Carter or someone would have made a video review by now. It got a good review from Guitar Player mag in June.. but who trusts reviews from guitar mags? :) The ONLY other user review I could find anywhere as of today was a few brief comments from one user on the Kemper forum:
https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/37154-FRFR-Cab-Mission-Engineering-Io/

Unfortunately, the kemper forums guy who has it thinks it's a coaxial, but it's not :grimacing:

My curiosity with the Io is mainly what orientation they've put the 12" woofer with the compression-driver/horn. Can't seem to find any pictures without the grill cloth.

What makes you say it’s not coaxial? With no view behind the grill cloth?

It says co-axial here: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GM-Io

Hm... I'm confused as to whether it's a coaxial or not now.

The Mission Engineering website says:
"The 12″ main driver features a Neodymium magnet, and aluminum basket construction providing 500W power handling from a unit that weighs just 5lb. A 1″ compression driver with 80 degree circular horn provides good high frequency dispersion with very low distortion."

This description would indicate that it's a 12" driver with a separate horn loaded 1" compression driver.
But perhaps they're calling the 12" woofer a "circular horn," which if they are, seems like a mislabling.
I don't think their design would be a floating horn design, like the Atomic CLR. So either their description is off, or the Sweetwater description is off.

Someone get it and find out what it is! :D

I’d guess it’s most likely the same or similar as the Gemini. Check this out (go to 3:06 for good rear views and description of this coaxial setup).

Hm... I'm confused as to whether it's a coaxial or not now.

The Mission Engineering website says:
"The 12″ main driver features a Neodymium magnet, and aluminum basket construction providing 500W power handling from a unit that weighs just 5lb. A 1″ compression driver with 80 degree circular horn provides good high frequency dispersion with very low distortion."

This description would indicate that it's a 12" driver with a separate horn loaded 1" compression driver.
But perhaps they're calling the 12" woofer a "circular horn," which if they are, seems like a mislabling.
I don't think their design would be a floating horn design, like the Atomic CLR. So either their description is off, or the Sweetwater description is off.

Someone get it and find out what it is! :D

I know that with the 12CX, there is actually a circular waveguide machined into the woofers assembly where the tweeter screws in. I'm not certain about the Celestions but it would not be a stretch to think that it does as well. So yes, both those statements can be very true and not contradictory at all.

I know that with the 12CX, there is actually a circular waveguide machined into the woofers assembly where the tweeter screws in. I'm not certain about the Celestions but it would not be a stretch to think that it does as well. So yes, both those statements can be very true and not contradictory at all.

Fair enough! :) It's still puzzling though, the mission website makes no mention of it being coaxial. Dunno what it is.

A friend just sent me one to check out. I'll be honest, my experience with FRFR is pretty much zero outside of using wedges on a stage or my studio monitors in my home, so I won't be of a whole lot of information.

I am not able to crank it too loud in my current place, but it seems to sound/feel alright. I think at the volumes I'm running it, it has the tendency to sound a little dark or muffled on higher gain sounds, but again I think this is due to the volume. I'm not sure if its fletcher munson or just how the speakers drive though. Again, new to frfr.. could even be my IR choice.

I think that I'm going to be sending it out to the Tom Anderson guitar fellows so they can use it for the namm show, I'll be performing and getting it louder than i can in my place so I'll update this in about a month if people are interested.

unfortunately, I don't have anything to compare it to outside of my studio monitors so I'll make an effort to check out other frfr solutions while im there.

Back
Top Bottom