New Mission Expression pedal behaving weirdly. Help pls.

octatonic

Experienced
I bought my second Mission expression pedal today and it is behaving a bit weirdly.

I am trying to configure the switch for wah operation and using a mono cable into XS1.
Everything is set correctly (I've checked about 10 times now) but the switch won't work UNLESS I half pull out the mono cable from the SP1.
Then it works fine.

It is definitely configured for XS1 and the Pedal is a new SP1.
Could the switch be wired in reverse by Mission?

A TRS cable works fine (but I don't have any more right angle ones right now) but will stop me from using the second switch for anything.

Here are some pics of how the switch is wired in:

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

Many thanks

What is the pedal controlling a MFC by chance??

If so you said you have a mono cable?? (I’m going to assume a MFC controller)
Even the switch jacks on the MFC require a TRS (don’t forget two switches within the one jack), you can still use a mono jack on the expression side. Before I go any further what’s the controller and is that cable mono on both sides??

John

Yes I am using the MFC.
I've used a bunch of mono TS cables- some I've made, some are pre-bought.
They are regular guitar patch cables.

Same result each time.
If I half pull out the TS switch then the Wah disengages.
If I short the cable (connecting the tip to the sleeve) then the wah disengages.
It seems to be a problem with the SP1's switch- I am wondering if I can rewire it?

The external switches, according to YEK's wiki, can be wired for TS if you are using just one (you just need to set the second/fourth switch to off, which is what I did).

This is what I did to configure the SP1, taken from Yek's wiki:

How to connect and configure an expression pedal with a switch

Some expression pedals have a separate switch. You can use separate connections for the pedal and the switch and configure the switch to activate an effect which then can be controlled with the pedal, such as a wah. Here's a walkthrough.
Connect the expression pedal to the MFC using one of the 4 expression pedal inputs on the MFC. Use a stereo (TRS) cable.
Connect the switch to one of the 2 switch inputs on the MFC (see above about the possibility to use an expression pedal input instead). Use either a stereo (TRS) or mono (TS) cable. If using a mono cable, disable the other connection of the switch in the setup menu (see below).
Use a MIDI cable between the MFC and Axe-Fx.
On the Axe-Fx, insert a Wah block in the preset.
Set the FREQ or CONTROL parameter of the Wah block to the External controller (the one that's tied to to the expression pedal, see below).
Use Damping if desired. Set PC RST to On. Keep Auto-engage Off because you will be using the switch.
Save the preset with the Wah disabled.
In I/O > Ctrl on the Axe-Fx, note which CC is used for the Wah 1 block (default #97).
In I/O > Ctrl on the Axe-Fx, note which CC is used for the External controller which is tied to the expression pedal, mentioned above.
In I/O > Midi on the Axe-Fx, verify that the External controller which is tied to the expression pedal is set to 0%.
Make sure that the expression pedal is calibrated (Edit > Setup on the MFC).
Make a connection between the pedal and the Axe-Fx by selecting the right CC and channel in Edit > MIDI on the MFC. Make sure you select the correct pedal input (XP1 - XP4). The CC must match the External controller's CC on the Axe-Fx (see above).
In Edit > Setup on the MFC set the external switch to Toggle. Make sure you select the correct switch input (XS1 - XS4).
Make a connection between the switch and the Axe-Fx by selecting the right CC and channel in Edit > MIDI on the MFC. Make sure you select the correct switch input (XS1 - XS4). The CC must match the CC of the Wah block on the Axe-Fx (see above). Set type to HDW. When using a mono cable for the switch, disable the other connection (set it to Off) to prevent MIDI problems.
Tell the MFC the switch values for Off and On (Edit > MIDI). 000 = Off. 127 = On. If the LED works vice versa, switch the values: 000 = On, 127 = Off.

It's TRS a mono plug us grounding the ring to sleeve.

Right so Mission have wired it incorrectly then?

So, swapping the black wire with either the red or green should be enough, right?
I just need to work out if the red or green is the sleeve and reverse that with the black wire?

I fixed it- had to swap the red and black wires over.

Mission's quality control took a fking vacation that day.
That was a nice waste of 3 hours.

Thanks for the help ppl.

From what I have been reading and I went over Yek's method very quickly.
I think you may have the wrong switch engaged just what it sounds like

Have you (with your mono cable) done this.

Assuming you are using switch 1+2:
I'll say you have 1 on and two defeated
just reverse that and of coarse assign that switch to the wah
dont do anything else it either works or doesn't
I really don't believe the problem is in the pedal

I fixed it- had to swap the red and black wires over.

Mission's quality control took a fking vacation that day.
That was a nice waste of 3 hours.

Thanks for the help ppl.

Or I could be wrong!

Glad to here you got it going!!!!

Yeah it wasn't Switch 2 engaged- I tried configuring that one- this was definitely a mis-wiring from Mission.

If it was Switch 2 then reversing the red and green wires would have got it working.

Thanks anyway.

Yeah it wasn't Switch 2 engaged- I tried configuring that one- this was definitely a mis-wiring from Mission.

If it was Switch 2 then reversing the red and green wires would have got it working.

Thanks anyway.

As mentioned in our seperate email to you, OUT 2 (the switch output) is wired TRS (stereo) and is intended to be connected to the EXP input with a TRS cable and NOT the XS switch input on an MFC. The reason for this is that the SP-1 is intended to work with as many controllers as possible, not just the FRactal MFC. The SP-1 existed before the MFC and many controllers only have expression pedal ports, which is why we wire it TRS. The switch will toggle the tip between ring and sleeve. If you use a mono cable the jack plug will bridge the ring and sleeve because it is missing the ring conductor. As far as I can tell from the pictures the pedal is wired correctly. I also see from the pictures that this unit is about 6 months old, so I am not sure if it was one you aquired used. If that is the case, then we can't be sure someone did not try to modify it, although as I say, it appears to be wired correctly. If you wish to modify the switch out on the SP-1 to use a mono TS cable and a switch input on the MFC, the best thing to do is to remove the ring (green) wire completely from the switch output. James. Mission.

For anyone who is interested in exactly how the Mission SP-1 works with the MFC and Axe-FX, I highly recommend watching Chris's excellent video if you haven't already. It's posted permanently on the Mission video page at Videos - missionengineering.com . James.

As mentioned in our seperate email to you, OUT 2 (the switch output) is wired TRS (stereo) and is intended to be connected to the EXP input with a TRS cable and NOT the XS switch input on an MFC. The reason for this is that the SP-1 is intended to work with as many controllers as possible, not just the FRactal MFC. The SP-1 existed before the MFC and many controllers only have expression pedal ports, which is why we wire it TRS. The switch will toggle the tip between ring and sleeve. If you use a mono cable the jack plug will bridge the ring and sleeve because it is missing the ring conductor. As far as I can tell from the pictures the pedal is wired correctly. I also see from the pictures that this unit is about 6 months old, so I am not sure if it was one you aquired used. If that is the case, then we can't be sure someone did not try to modify it, although as I say, it appears to be wired correctly. If you wish to modify the switch out on the SP-1 to use a mono TS cable and a switch input on the MFC, the best thing to do is to remove the ring (green) wire completely from the switch output. James. Mission.

Ok, that makes things clearer than the email.
I guess it makes sense.

I bought it new from Charlie Chandler's in Kingston UK- it wasn't used.

The problem with using EXP input for the switch is I use 4 expression pedals with my MFC/Axe rig.
I can't use an expression pedal output on the switch.

Rewiring the TRS switch allows me to use the XS1 switch input so it is all good.
I accept that the SP1 was not wired incorrectly so apologies for saying it was.

Thanks for the help.

Should have watched my Sp-1 video :)

I did (well the first 10 mins or so) but as I said above I can't use an expression pedal output for the switch as I use 4 expression pedals.
I need to use the XS switches for the SP1 switch.
No matter- it was an easy fix once I worked out how it worked- swapping the red and black wire had it working great.

Back
Top Bottom