New Matrix power amp coming?

_Tony_

Hi,

I had already decided to order Matrix GT800FX, but then I noticed following in their web page.

"The New, not 1u Product.

Coming very soon. Matrix Guitar Amplification are proud to release the ..."

Products :: Matrix

Does any of you have any further info?

I'm not going to order the GT800FX before I know what this is:?

Cheers,
Tony

Yeah, I would read that as probably meaning the new product is 2U or bigger - not that it isn't a racked product at all.

Maybe a higher powered version?

I wonder what kind of mass market guitar application would need more than 2x400W. They also make other types of power amps driving mid-tops, high power tweeter arrays and sub-woofers, and able to deliver up to 2x3KWs in 2RU.

Since the note was in their guitar amplication site, it has to be related to guitar applications. There are some market segments which they can not address with their current amp. E.g. many people would not even consider buying a SS power amp, so it could be tube amp. Also many people do not like rack gear, so maybe it could be just another form factor with some new tweaks. Or perhaps they partner with some preamp vendor and come up with a totally new joint product. It will be interesting to see what this new gear is all about.

I believe I may have the prototype that the new amp is being based on. It's like the bigger meaner brother to the 800, and I'll say when I'm running (2) 4x12 cabs this is the perfect amount of power if you need to carry a room in a loud metal band. This is the best sounding SS poweramp I've heard so far. It knocked my carvin out of my rack in about 5 seconds of auditioning. It's a beast.

I believe I may have the prototype that the new amp is being based on. It's like the bigger meaner brother to the 800, and I'll say when I'm running (2) 4x12 cabs this is the perfect amount of power if you need to carry a room in a loud metal band. This is the best sounding SS poweramp I've heard so far. It knocked my carvin out of my rack in about 5 seconds of auditioning. It's a beast.

It's interesting that you say that. While recently in the studio, we did a very thorough A/B of the Matrix GT800FX vs. Carvin DCM1540L (yes, I was recording using the Axe and not going direct, probably something considered a sin in these parts). Overall, the Carvin sounded slightly better. It may have just been the specific nuances of my tone, or how the mix was working. It just sounded a little bit more open and less harsh.

However, I usually prefer the Matrix when playing live. It feels better than the Carvin - more like a tube amp. I'm not sure how this works if I like the tone of the Carvin more on the recording. Magic sauce I guess.

At the end of the day, I am happy to own both (I frequently use the Carvin for bass), and look forward to new offerings from both companies (as well as Retro Channel!)

Last edited:

You mean the amp that was spitting your 1/4" jacks out the cab like sunflower seeds?? :)

It's interesting that you say that. While recently in the studio, we did a very thorough A/B of the Matrix GT800FX vs. Carvin DCM1540L (yes, I was recording using the Axe and not going direct, probably something considered a sin in these parts). Overall, the Carvin sounded slightly better. It may have just been the specific nuances of my tone, or how the mix was working. It just sounded a little bit more open and less harsh.

However, I usually prefer the Matrix when playing live. It feels better than the Carvin - more like a tube amp. I'm not sure how this works if I like the tone of the Carvin more on the recording. Magic sauce I guess.

At the end of the day, I am happy to own both (I frequently use the Carvin for bass), and look forward to new offerings from both companies (as well as Retro Channel!)

Yea i never tried the GT800FX so I can't say if they sound exactly the same. It was explained to me, and i'm going to butcher this i'm sure, that since my matrix is 2000watts it has something like double the mosfets in it which leads to a much smoother sound. More mosfets = smoother sound. Something like that.

I wouldn't say the carvin 3000DCML wasn't a bad sounding amp but my Matrix sounded way larger, bolder, fuller more room filling compared to the carvin and smoother on the high end. The carvin sound more HiFi and didn't have the same massive bottom end as the Matrix.

Back
Top Bottom