new Les Paul, what pickups should I consider?

Guys, I just got a 120th Anniversary 2014 Les Paul, w/ neck & bridge humbuckers. But, the sound/pickups are not to my liking. Seems it has "Coil 57's" or 490r/490t 's in it. Sounds kinda hollow, especially in the low end.

I have all my tones tweaked to either my Ibanez Egen or EVH Wolfgangs. I do Rock covers all over the spectrum/genre's/era's. Tones are more high gain, really. Looking for knowledgeable input.

I'm leaning toward Dimarzio Super Distortion pups, passive only...any thoughts gentlemen??

I have Bare Knuckle’s in pretty much all my guitars. https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/. I have a Les Paul with The Mule in the neck Riff Raff in the bridge, awesome combination for just a good solid rock tone. My main gigging Les Paul is a Les Paul Axcess (similar to Mark Days but without the Floyd) with a set of Abraxas in them, a sort of hotter PAF style pickup that’s very, very good all around. I use Series/Parallel switching for single-coil like tones and the Abraxas work very well for this. For a more aggressive choice I would go with Rebell Yell’s, Steve Stevens signature model. It’s hard to go wrong with any Bare Knuckle’s though.

Super Distortions are classics, but there are some things about them you should be aware of. First of all they have insane amount of low end what could be an issue with all-mahogany guitar. They also don't handle harmonics well. On positive side (if it matters to you) they split beautifully, they are one of the best sounding humbuckers when coil-splitted.

I would go for DiMarzio's JP set - older CrunchLab/Illuminator or newer Illuminator/Illuminator. Both are extremely well ballanced and versatile, but they don't sound as good as Super Distortions when splitted. Something's gotta give ;)

I would not go with a Crunchlab or Illuminator in a Les Paul

Super Distortions are a good choice- But I'd Recommend a DiMarzio PAF Pro or DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniv.

I have a Les Paul that used to have 57 classic humbuckers. Great stuff, but it wasn't versatile enough for me.
I went ahead with a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set. A very typical set of pickups but very versatile.
I can use that guitar for anything from Metal to Jazz :)

Back
Top Bottom