New(ish) Guitar Project Day

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
A few years back I bought a fixed bridge Ibanez, model unknown, fully torn down and sanded (and gouged up a bit) - $95!

I put it aside until a month ago when I asked my son (who works at an auto body shop) to see what he could do with it.

I got it from him today. Here's a shot of before and after:

B46874DA-B834-4C54-B146-B31EE3256F3D.jpegCAC5939D-3E80-4FC3-9AED-8B578021C702.jpegAEAC2BDE-5B32-4BFC-AF65-E3028FF546B5.jpegDA1A4152-B651-4BC7-BFC8-D42E24550B60.jpeg36ABF68B-BFED-43C2-9CC6-8C5CAD549EFE.jpeg

Still deciding on how I want to complete it.

Maybe HB-sized P90s?

After posting this I had a vague memory of purchasing a set of GFS P90s for a potential project a long time back.

After some digging, I discovered they were not P90s but a Dream 180 set.

Aesthetically I think they could be a good fit but I'll need some flat pickup rings. The pearloid doesn't exactly match, but I think it still works.

Opinions?

9138F49D-05D4-43D3-B064-C12DD9A88F2A.jpeg

Nice paint and body job. 👍 I've not used the Dream 180s before, but I've got a PRS SE semi-hollowbody with Duncan Phat Cats that I love. I really like the tone, balance, and response of those pickups.

Nice paint and body job. 👍 I've not used the Dream 180s before, but I've got a PRS SE semi-hollowbody with Duncan Phat Cats that I love. I really like the tone, balance, and response of those pickups.
Thanks - I saw good reviews of those last night. I will keep them in mind if these don't work out.

Ok - final assembly is completed.

My son managed to misplace the bushings for the neck screws so I had to order some and wait for delivery.

My out of pocket on this project was $95 for the guitar and original parts, plus about $20 for the bushings, headstock decal and strap buttons (which I already had) and the cost of the GFS pickups - I don't recall what I paid but I believe I bought them second hand (but otherwise new).

Under $200 total and I'm very happy with the results!

The pickups sound quite nice, too.

I need to find some shorter saddle height screws. The action was easily 3mm+ before I lowered all the saddles almost all the way down.

I have to assume this neck was shimmed before.

Anyone have any pointers on shorter screws that will work on these saddles?IMG_5509.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom