New in town

Gnarly_dudr

Well, I just got my FM3 on Monday (running through a Headrush FRFR108) and I've got to say I'm blown away. I don't have any previous experience with modelers nicer than a Peavey Vypyr. The tones I've been able to get already just playing around with it are phenomenal. I have some experience with tube amps (nothing boutique, think 5150s and a dual rec or two) and honestly the sound Im getting here is not quite as good but I can hear that I can get there with practice.

Currently Im making my way through the wiki which is proving immensely helpful. Any tips or tricks a beginner could use would be appreciated. Anyway, sorry if this post goes against the rules, I just wanted to say hey. I'm looking forward to discussing/learning about Fractal's ecosystem here.

G'day Gnarly & welcome!
Check out @austinbuddy preset packs - particularly the gold pack as that gives you a suite of ready to roll amp and cab combinations for lots of common brands.
Asides from that - all the usual stuff - youtube tutorials etc.
... oh and coffee.... lot's of coffee...
:)
Have a ball
Thanks
Pauly

Well, I just got my FM3 on Monday (running through a Headrush FRFR108) and I've got to say I'm blown away. I don't have any previous experience with modelers nicer than a Peavey Vypyr. The tones I've been able to get already just playing around with it are phenomenal. I have some experience with tube amps (nothing boutique, think 5150s and a dual rec or two) and honestly the sound Im getting here is not quite as good but I can hear that I can get there with practice.

Currently Im making my way through the wiki which is proving immensely helpful. Any tips or tricks a beginner could use would be appreciated. Anyway, sorry if this post goes against the rules, I just wanted to say hey. I'm looking forward to discussing/learning about Fractal's ecosystem here.
I found the wiki and Yek's guide to the amps to be very helpful. @2112 has some YouTube videos that I found really helpful, too.

The amp sounds are in there. After a few tweaks and cab choices you will find your tone.
This was really my big learning after getting comfortable with the FM3. Taking a little time to try different cab combinations really pays off and had a much bigger impact on the overall tone than I would have imagined.

On this note, one thing I'm happy about is that I spent a couple of weeks trying different amps and then just landed on two that I really liked and stuck with those as my base tones. It is way to easy to get stuck in decision paralysis, so I'd settle in on something relatively quick and tweak from there. For me it is the ODS 100 for clean and slightly pushed stuff and the HBE-100 for dirty stuff. I spent some time with the SLO which I really dig also, but ultimately just liked the dynamics of the Friedman model the best.

Thanks for the welcome and the tips guys! It is definitely much appreciated.

The amp sounds are in there. After a few tweaks and cab choices you will find your tone.
This is definitely the impression that I got. Messing with the cabs really does seem to almost completely alter the tone, in a good way. I'm having good luck with the legacy IRs.

You guys gave me some good avenues to start down, thanks again!

...but ultimately just liked the dynamics of the Friedman model the best.

The Friedman models, especially the HBE 2018 and Dirty Shirley, have been my go-to models. Hell, I can stay on Preset 023 Friedman BE-100 with 4 different scenes all day after a quick adjustment in the cab block.

The Friedman models, especially the HBE 2018 and Dirty Shirley, have been my go-to models. Hell, I can stay on Preset 023 Friedman BE-100 with 4 different scenes all day after a quick adjustment in the cab block.
Yeah, its the 2018 version I really like. What is your go-to cab for that? Do you just leave the cabs that are with that preset in place?

G'day Gnarly & welcome!
Check out @austinbuddy preset packs - particularly the gold pack as that gives you a suite of ready to roll amp and cab combinations for lots of common brands.
Asides from that - all the usual stuff - youtube tutorials etc.
... oh and coffee.... lot's of coffee...
:)
Have a ball
Thanks
Pauly
I have AB's Gold Pack and its great. Plus he gives great customer support if you have a question. I also bought his Brit Royalty Pack. If you are a LZ fan, you will be amazed!

Yeah, its the 2018 version I really like. What is your go-to cab for that? Do you just leave the cabs that are with that preset in place?

Normally just stay with stock cabs. Adjust low/high cut 80/10500 Hz. But other cabs that I like with the 2018 are Legacy 149 (Trad V60 Full OH) and Legacy 37 Basketweave G12M25 RW). When I build a preset those Legacy cabs are what I use the most.

I found the wiki and Yek's guide to the amps to be very helpful. @2112 has some YouTube videos that I found really helpful, too.

After looking through (read: studying) Yek's guide and the wiki on the models I was using I made some great headway. Have some very good left and right side distortion channels going now.

It's only up from here! Thanks again guys, looking forward to learning more.

Back
Top Bottom