NEW GUY QUESTIONS!!!

Maqbrown

Hello everyone! I should be getting my Axe Fx 2 & Matrix GT800FX this week. I plan to use my Mesa Recto 4x12 cab as well. With that being said, what advice could you give me on setting this thing up. From what I understand I should not use the cab sims or the IR function. Am I correct? I am a former user of the Line 6 POD HD Pro & Dt50 set up and all of that was EXTREAMLY user friendly, from what I can tell already is this unit is NOT. How would you compare the learning curve? I'm willing to sit on this thing as long as I have to to get the sounds that I want. Any other advice in the pre>power>cab set up would be great too. Thank you in advance.

Maq

Never used a POD HD so I cannot compare the learning curves, but the basics of the Axe Fx are pretty straight forward. The first thing you'll want to do is to read the wiki, starting here: New users: quick start - Axe-Fx II Wiki

I wouldn't worry too much about messing with advanced settings in the beginning. The first 40 or so presets provide a solid foundation to start building patches to suit your needs. Axe Edit makes tweaking a breeze, but I would also take some time learning to edit via the front panel. If you're using the Matrix and a cab, you'll want to disable cab sims via the GLOBAL button on the front panel. Other than that, just have fun and enjoy the ride!

The manual is also available online at Fractal Audio Systems - Axe-Fx II Guitar Processor, Preamp, Effects Processor - MFC-101 MIDI Foot Controller and is a very worthwhile rig.

I've got a little POD experience, and I wouldn't say the Axe FX is less friendly as much as it is more capable and in depth. Once you start digging you'll see parameters the POD has never dreamed of! That said, you can get some immediately great sounds with just a plug up and go! Make sure you know how to set up for the cab and amp (it's all in the wiki and manual). You'll enjoy it, but take your time and wade in... the water's fine.

I think that the Axe can be very user friendly, they key is to keep it simple at first. If the first thing you do is go to the advanced parameters page on every device then you will get lost very quickly, but if you treat every thing like you would in an analog guitar rig you should be fine. After you get comfortable with the basics then you can begin to bring in some of the more advanced operations.

Back
Top Bottom