New guy here, very close to purchasing the Axe-Fx III/FC-12. I have some questions

My Strat is equipped with the EMG DG20, so it's already buffered. I lose that loading already. I'm a huge Hendrix fan, but at some point I realized I didn't want to emulate him. I'm trying to synthesize a mix of all my guitar heroes including Jimi, David Gilmour, Steve Hillage, and Richard Thompson.

One pedal I have that i forgot to include in the above picture is the Source Audio Kingmaker, which I use more as a lead boost. I'll definitely hang on to that unless some of the fuzz model in the Axe can catch my fancy.

A few more questions. I have two Roland EV-5 Expression pedals. Any issues using these with the FC-12? And lastly, everything is in the cart but there doesn't seem a way to add the XLR FASLINK™ Cable. Does that mean it is out of stock?

My Strat is equipped with the EMG DG20, so it's already buffered. I lose that loading already. I'm a huge Hendrix fan, but at some point I realized I didn't want to emulate him. I'm trying to synthesize a mix of all my guitar heroes including Jimi, David Gilmour, Steve Hillage, and Richard Thompson.

One pedal I have that i forgot to include in the above picture is the Source Audio Kingmaker, which I use more as a lead boost. I'll definitely hang on to that unless some of the fuzz model in the Axe can catch my fancy.

A few more questions. I have two Roland EV-5 Expression pedals. Any issues using these with the FC-12? And lastly, everything is in the cart but there doesn't seem a way to add the XLR FASLINK™ Cable. Does that mean it is out of stock?
The xlr FAS link is nothing but a standard mic cable, any will do.

I think your best route is get the III (which it appears you have, congrats!) and use it for a bit. It should become clear which pedals you feel you still need and which ones you no longer touch. Have fun!

I still have my fly rig pedal board with some classic pedals but TBH I haven’t taken it out of the closet since I bought my Ax8 4 years ago. Now I use the Ax III and it’s much better so my pedals will probably all be sold very soon.

Hi Leftystrat,

In your position, I'd sell whatever amps to fund the purchase, and keep the pedals until I was ok with the AXE FX. From there you'll get a handle on what you can and cannot replace (if anything)... and continue to sell the stuff you've replaced.

Oh - Welcome!

Thanks
Pauly

A bit about me, I have been building and modifying amps and effects since my teens. I just turned 61. I have built clones of Dumbles (Skyliner, SSS) and Trainwrecks (Express, Liverpool, and Rocket). I have built and modified amps to customers desires, including a freak hybrid of a JTM 45 with JMP 50 filtering which the customer loved and called the amp Mary, after Hendrix Wind Cries Mary, achieving that "edge" tone where your playing dynamics can control the amount of hair or distortion.

I was blown away when Austin Buddy was able to reproduce the tone of the Dumble Steel String Singer by combining the Skyliner preamp with the SVT power amp, which is what an SSS really is. I also love I can tweak cold biased cathode followers, which is essential to two of the Trainwrecks and the Sodano.

I'm interested in the Axe Fx 3 and the FC-12. I easily have the amps and pedals to fully fund my purchase, I just want to know what pedals I can sell and which ones I need to keep. Here's my current pedal board:

Source Audio Ventris, Strymon Timeline, Source Audio Vertigo, TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 (Only used for Shimner), Hotone Binary Amp (yes this goes, but the sims are really good), various distortion and fuzz pedals. EHX Mel9.

TLDR; What pedal as an AxeFx III owner do you still need?

Hi Leftystrat,

In your position, I'd sell whatever amps to fund the purchase, and keep the pedals until I was ok with the AXE FX. From there you'll get a handle on what you can and cannot replace (if anything)... and continue to sell the stuff you've replaced.

Oh - Welcome!

Thanks
Pauly
Yeah, I only have a couple of amps at this point. A fairly new Orange Rocker 32 (stereo) and an 1987 Marshall Silver Jubilee. Though I might hang on to it for investment value. Between the Rocker 32 and my pedals, it will be mostly paid for.

Hey, welcome. We have similar backgrounds with building amps and effects. I don’t have any Trainwrecks, but Dr Z stuff are prized.
Here’s my situation. Everyone is different:
1. I kept all of my old Fenders, Marshalls and HiWatt.
2. I kept the rare old YBA-1 Traynor.
3. Sold the newer boutique amps.
4. Kept the amps I’ve built: hard-to-find vintage large tweeds, Dumble, etc

I had a wide collection of fab boutique pedals. Chasing tone. All gone, didn’t need them anymore. Kept my original vintage stuff that are like children. Had them forever. Only used with amps. Unnecessary for me with AF3:
1. Shin-Ei Univibe
2. EH Big Muff π “rams head”
3. Heil Talk Box
4. Fuzz Face
5. BK Butler Tube Driver
6. Cry Baby
7. Pete Cornish LD-1

These are all only used with amps.

Finally, what I use with AF3:
Dawner Prince Boonar - sounds exactly like an Echorec.

Note: Tried the FreqOut, but mine has a strange chirp that betrays a synthetic quality.

Hope this adds some data for you.

Back
Top Bottom