New Guitar...couple days ago.....PRS 513 content

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
Hi-Pass_zpse36226b7.jpg

Crappy cell phone picture, but you get the general idea.

Been wanting one of these since they first came out. I played one years ago through an AC30 and was just floored with how it played and sounded. I'm not a huge PRS fan to be honest. I had played plenty that I just didn't get along with, but the 513 had a different neck profile and it's own thing going on. Now I think that this one actually has the regular pattern neck which I do think is different than the one that I had played, but it's still pretty great.

As for the top I call it the 11 top. :) For those that don't know (because I didn't until recently) the 10 tops are just the top 10% of the wood at the time. So if you have 100 pieces the 10 best are classified as 10 tops. I think that this one was number 11 of that bunch. :lol

One thing that I didn't recall was just how bright this thing is; especially in the clean humbucker setting. It's actually a bit tough to deal with using my default presets, but the tone knob actually does a very good job of actually working and giving a pretty wide range of control. I roll the volume and tone back just a bit in the clean humbucker setting and it's really nice. The full humbucker is pretty brutal. Single coils hum like mad (just like all single coil guitars in my house), but the out of phase (2 and 4) positions are really stratty.

Really nice guitar. Wasn't really sure about whether I was going to bond with it on the first night, but most of you know that I am still recovering from elbow surgery so playing in general has been a struggle. I put a set of .09's on it and adjusted the spring tension accordingly and picked it back up a few nights later. It's not going anywhere. :encouragement:

I have the same ax in Armando's Amethyst and the last word I'd ever use to describe the tone is bright. One of the main reasons I bought it was because it wasn't bright at all, even on the bridge pickup.

Welcome to the club, bro. I bought one, love it, sold it to pay some bills because I had several other nice guitars. Lasted one year and I had to go get another one. It's just got too many good tones to do without. Mine looks nearly identical to yours so I can already say the photo doesn't do the top justice.

It's been my main axe for years now, for me it's the best there is.

I love that colour! Congrats shasha!!

I have an orange 2009 version with "Klingon" birds. Like yours, mine is very bright. I had a chance to try three and the one I picked seemed to have the best of the other two, deep rich lows and sparkling highs. It's been my main guitar for a number of months now.

I love how the neck pickup in humbucker mode has such a stratty character to it, and how well it works as a lead pickup. The bridge is very juicy and so harmonically rich.

These are great guitars!

Terry.

Congrats, beautiful guitar. Love that color.

I have a 513 in Whale Blue. Love the 513 concept. Mine has the 513 carve, however, which is a bit deeper - and I still haven't gotten used to it. I either need to decide I'm going to accept it, send it to the PTC to have it shaved, or sell it and get one with a different carve.

On 10-tops, PRS USED to use the definition that a 10-top has flame through about 90% of the top and that less than 10% represents dead area without flame. They have now changed this; see Customer Support Center | FAQ's.

Great guitars. Enjoy!

Dave

Mine's one of the all-mahogany models so it's definitely not too bright. I prefer the neck pu in single coil mode for some reason. That's got a real nice fat stratty sound to it. The neck in hum mode is a bit thick for me (maybe because no maple top) but I can easily compensate w/ amp settings.

Congratulations Shasha,

I really like the regular Pattern neck on PRS. To me, that neck is like a vintage Hamer, which is a great feel.

I have the same ax in Armando's Amethyst and the last word I'd ever use to describe the tone is bright. One of the main reasons I bought it was because it wasn't bright at all, even on the bridge pickup.
Yeah this one is called Autumn Sky. I'm surprised that they would be so tonally different. You know it's mostly in the clean humbucker mode that it gets really bright; the full humbucker is fairly dark. Single coil modes vary, but we all know how strats are.

Nice guitar, congratulations. I use mainly Musicman guitars but I have a few PRS and the 513 is definitely one of my favourites. The best sounding single coil tones I've ever had tbh, and the humbuckers aren't bad either. Mine has the swamp ash body and maple neck which gives a slightly brighter tone than the standard mahogany/maple body.

Back
Top Bottom