New Gear Approach

Hi All,
New year and I’ve been lurking. Most of my equipment was stolen (long story) and at this point I have a Tube Preamp, 1x12 and my guitars so I’m just playing unplugged. I‘m thinking of going the modeling route and with one of the Fractal unit’s into some Yamaha or Adam powered monitors. I could easily go guy a power amp and use my preamp/1x12 but I live in an apartment and it’s just going to be too loud. I’m really impressed with what I’ve heard from the various clips here and the YouTube tutorials from Leon Todd etc. The Fractal units have all my fav amps modeled and a great number of effects that interest me. I’m not going to be playing live anywhere etc. Seems like a good route to go based on some others posts I’ve read. Thoughts/constructive ideas on going this new route?

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your gear; thieves are the worst.

That's basically the route I went down about 3.5 years ago. I didn't have a ton of gear--a Mesa Mark V, a Marshall 2203-style Ceriatone and a Twin Reverb, along with a smattering of pedals. I purchased a FM3 in mid-2020 with the idea that if I didn't connect with it, it would be trivial to sell it for 90% of the price on Reverb.

By mid-2021, I had sold everything; the FM3 was able to replace all of it. I ended up taking some of the funds from the sale of my old amps/effects, as well as the FM3, and bought an Axe FX III, which was everything the FM3 was and more. The only other piece of guitar audio gear I own is a Boss Katana 50 combo that I picked up super cheap as a noodle/practice amp for the rest of the house. I probably should have just kept the FM3 for a practice rig, but I got a good offer for it at the time.

I’m sorry for the loss..

As for why fractal?

It covers most if not all the major amp guitar tones you could ever possibly want from traditional/classic to modern.

It’ll sound and feel great either way if you decide the studio monitor or through the tube power amp+cab route … even with headphones!

Plus the seemingly nonstop improvements of the amp/effect modelling aspect.

AND

Many of the amazing community support here in this forum if you’re ever in a pinch/trouble

Psst! even the head developer of the Fractal products will help/educate you when he can!

Personally, never had the urge to buy any more amp/pedals after the fractal!

Choose fractal, you won’t be dissapointed.

Last edited:
I’ll second @unix-guy on the FM9, it’s a great unit. If you only play at home or don’t have crazy switching needs, the FM3 might also fill your bill. And, of course, nothing rivals the Axe Fx III for all-around musical beastliness. You really can’t make a bad choice.

Playing with near or mid field monitors is a great choice, and you can go silent (to the neighbors, anyway) using the headphones out as well. If you decide to play out, add a power amp to your 1x12 and with a few tweaks you’ll be set.

Absolutely perfect for home playing. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any Fractal product.
Sound quality and what you get for the money, I don't know how Fractal can be beat.

Add headphones for late night jams and you’re set.

I actually bought a 75 marshall after having my axe lol.

Hi All,
New year and I’ve been lurking. Most of my equipment was stolen (long story) and at this point I have a Tube Preamp, 1x12 and my guitars so I’m just playing unplugged. I‘m thinking of going the modeling route and with one of the Fractal unit’s into some Yamaha or Adam powered monitors. I could easily go guy a power amp and use my preamp/1x12 but I live in an apartment and it’s just going to be too loud. I’m really impressed with what I’ve heard from the various clips here and the YouTube tutorials from Leon Todd etc. The Fractal units have all my fav amps modeled and a great number of effects that interest me. I’m not going to be playing live anywhere etc. Seems like a good route to go based on some others posts I’ve read. Thoughts/constructive ideas on going this new route?

Thanks
Just my two cents worth suggestion...
AxeFXIII Turbo + Temple 43" board with an FC-12, three EV Pedals
Pair of Adams A7V7 + Sub 10 Mk2...on sale on Sweetwater right now
Loud enough for my 20'X20' space and once I sold all my amps I found out there was actually carpet on the floor.
DON'T go to the "Wish" forum (even though it serves a purpose) because you'll not need anything more...except more time to play!
Oh I almost forgot....Open Axe Edit, point, click, type in value...no more squatting, kneeling, crawling around on floor or going through the 30 year cable collection only to find out you don't have the right one!

Last edited:
Just my two cents worth suggestion...
AxeFXIII Turbo + Temple 43" board with an FC-12, three EV Pedals
Pair of Adams A7V7 + Sub 10 Mk2...on sale on Sweetwater right now
Loud enough for my 20'X20' space and once I sold all my amps I found out there was actually carpet on the floor.
DON'T go to the "Wish" forum (even though it serves a purpose) because you'll not need anything more...except more time to play!
Oh I almost forgot....Open Axe Edit, point, click, type in value...no more squatting, kneeling, crawling around on floor or going through the 30 year cable collection only to find out you don't have the right one!
These are great suggestions (assuming you have a healthy gear budget). I will advise that the 43" Temple board with an FC-12 and 3 EV pedals will be heavy and is quite large. If you intend to schlep your gear from place to place you might want to go with something less cumbersome.

These are great suggestions (assuming you have a healthy gear budget). I will advise that the 43" Temple board with an FC-12 and 3 EV pedals will be heavy and is quite large. If you intend to schlep your gear from place to place you might want to go with something less cumbersome.
I think the OP said it was just for home use.

There is a learning curve to the Fractal products. Be prepared to spend some time to get used to it.

Also, be aware that modelers will re-create the sound of a mic'd guitar cab...to many this is quite different to the "amp in the room" sound you may be used to. It is akin to what you hear when you have your traditional cab mic'd up in a different room and are using studio monitors to listen.

Having said all of that, I love my AxeFX3 and sold my JCM800 which I rarely used because it was just too loud (and not really the right amp for what I play these days).

I don't see myself ever owning another tube amp or pedals.

Thanks all. I’m intrigued because of what I’ve heard and all the versatility it has. I see what you are saying Scarbodave. Looks like there is tweaking involved but it seems like a big payoff in the end.

Thanks all. I’m intrigued because of what I’ve heard and all the versatility it has. I see what you are saying Scarbodave. Looks like there is tweaking involved but it seems like a big payoff in the end.
With all the possible tweaking involved

There comes a point where you have to learn to be satisfied with what you got , otherwise you’ll end up tweaking alot more than playing (unless you enjoy that)

Just because there’s more parameters available, doesn’t mean you have to use them to get a good tone

There is a learning curve to the Fractal products. Be prepared to spend some time to get used to it.

Also, be aware that modelers will re-create the sound of a mic'd guitar cab...to many this is quite different to the "amp in the room" sound you may be used to. It is akin to what you hear when you have your traditional cab mic'd up in a different room and are using studio monitors to listen.

Having said all of that, I love my AxeFX3 and sold my JCM800 which I rarely used because it was just too loud (and not really the right amp for what I play these days).

It’ll sound like a mic’d guitar cab if you use an IR, not when you’re using cabs. And that’s from Fractal.

Attachments

• 30F1CB7E-7344-428C-966E-7345816B7781.jpeg
    30F1CB7E-7344-428C-966E-7345816B7781.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom