New FW -do we have to re set the amps?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
I don't keep up on all the latest here so I am wondering if we need to re set the amps with the FW updates -this one,... in general always?
Thanks!
Don

Check update notes "Removed Update Amps All Presets utility because the majority of users don’t seem to grasp the purpose of this function."

Yes the latest! 'Function parameter'?? Ok yes or no...................'Do I need to re set the amps with the current FW 18.06?

From what I have read on other threads you dont have to for the new G3 modeling. It's a little hard to know exactly because when the question is asked there are those who take that time to lecture, ridicule or try and get the person asking to go to another site. I didnt see this answered in the release notes either, just a mention that an update all feature was removed. I work in tech support (xray equip) and it easy to forget to mention the basic things because they are part of supports every day life. It is also easy to say read the manual, all the wikis and check out all the sites, but when you have one question you want answered and don't feel like making it your lifes work to research is it That big a deal to ask in the user forums? I think some people feel it is their job to respond even if they dont want to help or know the answer.

I think some people feel it is their job to respond even if they dont want to help or know the answer.
Hi Swab, I believe everyone in this thread is trying to help. (There are only 2 others, me and Chris) I know I am to help and Chris usually does, so I don't understand the reference. Either way, I simply quoted Cliff directly, from the release notes, as some people never read them. Re read them , it's there.:encouragement:

He still didn't specify. Sometimes people say "I'm on the latest" and they are actually a few versions behind.

If he means 18.06, it really matters what he upgraded from. If he's going from 17.04 to 18.06, it is recommended to Reset System Parameters in the Utility-Reset menu. Since it is a jump from G2 modeling to G3, it is also recommended to reset the amps, and basically recommended to create your amp tones from scratch.

If he's upgrading from 18.04 to 18.06, there is nothing in the release notes that suggests resetting amps, so there is no need to do that.

It's all about the details. I can answer questions many different ways, but without knowing the specifics, I could easily be suggesting the wrong answer. Many people over the years have gotten irritated with me (and others) asking to clarify their original questions saying things like your question about my Tempo setting in the delay block doesn't matter - just tell me why Tap Tempo doesn't work. :)

Not saying that's happened here, but that's why I don't answer directly sometimes and instead ask questions for clarification.

If he's going from 17.04 to 18.06, it is recommended to Reset System Parameters in the Utility-Reset menu. Since it is a jump from G2 modeling to G3, it is also recommended to reset the amps, and basically recommended to create your amp tones from scratch.

you mean manually reset all the amps? because there is no 'reset all amps' function anymore....
what your basically is saying is that all your previous amp settings are 'useless' once updated?

if you are updating from G2 to G3 modeling, technically yes, most of your previous amp settings are useless because so many things have changed when using a completely new algorithm for amps.

there is still a function in the Utility menu to reset the advanced parameters in the amps in the current preset. but i would suggest completely resetting the whole amp block. it's that different. it's like going from Windows XP to Windows 7 - you just don't do things the same way anymore.

for those who aren't familiar with "resetting amps," read my article here: When do I have to "Update Amps Defaults" "Update Amps All Prsts" or "Reset the Amp Block"? | AxeFxTutorials.com

He still didn't specify. Sometimes people say "I'm on the latest" and they are actually a few versions behind.

If he means 18.06, it really matters what he upgraded from. If he's going from 17.04 to 18.06, it is recommended to Reset System Parameters in the Utility-Reset menu. Since it is a jump from G2 modeling to G3, it is also recommended to reset the amps, and basically recommended to create your amp tones from scratch.

If he's upgrading from 18.04 to 18.06, there is nothing in the release notes that suggests resetting amps, so there is no need to do that.

It's all about the details. I can answer questions many different ways, but without knowing the specifics, I could easily be suggesting the wrong answer. Many people over the years have gotten irritated with me (and others) asking to clarify their original questions saying things like your question about my Tempo setting in the delay block doesn't matter - just tell me why Tap Tempo doesn't work. :)

Not saying that's happened here, but that's why I don't answer directly sometimes and instead ask questions for clarification.
But why isn't or is there a official suggestion with new Firmware Upgrades in the notes that mention if re-select amps or reset system Parameters that it work fine like the FW should, for example 17 to 18? How internal Fractal people upgrade or Cliff, just load new Firmware on the Axe-FX and all works alright? Or complete system reboot will be done with all old software deinstalled, Iam curious what's the savest and Pro way at it?

But why isn't or is there a official suggestion with new Firmware Upgrades in the notes that mention if re-select amps or reset system Parameters that it work fine like the FW should, for example 17 to 18? How internal Fractal people upgrade or Cliff, just load new Firmware on the Axe-FX and all works alright? Or complete system reboot will be done with all old software deinstalled, Iam curious what's the savest and Pro way at it?

If new firmware requires all amp models, or specific amp models to be reset, it is always mentioned in the firmware release notes.
If it isn't in there, you don't need to do that.

In some cases the AMP's advanced parameters are reset automatically.

The system reset (Utility > Reset system params) is unrelated to the AMP block parameters.
It's what you do when you want to reset the overall configuration of your Axe-Fx.

A system reset is the way to go in such cases.
It's not clear what's causing that thin sound issue.
Probably something under the hood, like wrong global EQ settings which aren't reflected on display, than amp parameters.

Yek,
could you elaborate your way of updating to the latest FW. As a beta tester you may have found a good way, e.g.

1. load FW, 2. load all Banks from scratch, 3. redial tones
or
1. load FW, 2. re-dial "the tone" etc etc

thx

Back
Top Bottom