New FRFR speakers.

REDD

Fractal Fanatic
Hey guys, I have the Friedman's in stereo and they are great but I'm wanting a coaxial powered wedge like the CLR to go with my second Axe FxII unit for two reasons. Something smaller and lighter than the Friedman's for gigging out and also I'm getting another band going with a second guitarist and I want both of us to have an Axe Fx rig at rehearsal. I just read numerous complaints about the CLR's having issues and also poor customer service so I'm looking for a coaxial wedge, two actually. Something around the same price range. I'm still considering the CLR's but I'm worried about problems and service. I've been looking at the Dynacord and another brand or two but just thought I'd get an opinion or two.

Almost 4 years with my CLR active wedge without any problems, ships to Mexico so tough customs process but worth the wait.

Almost 4 years with my CLR active wedge without any problems, ships to Mexico so tough customs process but worth the wait.
Have you gigged with them much or do they stay home? Looking for road worthyness. Also, playing metal. Do they rock or are they geared more for clean/blues/country? Thanks, I appreciate any input.

I have 3 clr's. Two are being used w/ KW181's for our mains and one is for monitoring my axe on stage. I had a power module go out on mine, but Tom got the situation settled. Not discounting other people's issues, but the nature of the internet is such that it's easy for small companies/products to get a bad rap when it's a relatively small number of people who have problems. Once again, I feel the pain of the people who have had issues.
I haven't played through another monitor that made me anywhere near as happy as playing through the CLR.

There's always this:
http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/products/voicesolo-fx150/

Said mostly jokingly, but I've never tried it, so...

I wouldn't think it could compare to my CLR or Xitone, aside from it only being 150 watts. But, for the price and ultra-low weight (less than 7 lbs!), it might be worth it.

It gets good reviews, but is clearly meant primarily for vocalists.

I have been using the Xitone passive wedges for a couple years. Extremely well built and durable. Covered in Line-X bed liner material!

Mick at Xitone is very friendly, helpful and responsive... And he does custom stuff, too.

Sound is a bit more cab like and less "hi-fi" sounding compared to CLRs side by side.

Also, the Mission Gemini 2 are very nice and very loud!

CLR is really really great. I have two and have used them on over 100 gigs (no idea the exact number).

I've never had any problem with mine except for one thing. The coating is thin and it is very easy to get dings that expose or even chip the soft wood underneath. I can't count how many times I've painted over dings with a black sharpie.

The CLR is certainly the best sounding FR speaker that I've used. My RCF NX-12 is great too and sounds different, but the CLR sounds flatter, truer, clearer, better overall to me.

CLR is not a guitar speaker and it is not geared toward any genres. It is very flat and clear at any angle and across all frequencies. The only thing it might lack is low bass and a bottom end that you can really feel. You will need subs for heavy bass.

XiTone if you want compact.
RCF or CLR if you want more a more true PA speaker.

Dynacord is going to be really hard to find in the US

CLR are awesome but unless you are getting a neo they are not light weight. Xitone makes real nice stuff too. RCF is def a contender as well.

I owned and used a CLR for about 2 years -still have the RCF's due to use with pa. CLR sounds killer with metal or cleans. Much less pa like than the RCF -but they are really useable too. Agreed that the CLR is not light. Get a mini dolly -they work great!

Hey guys, I have the Friedman's in stereo and they are great but I'm wanting a coaxial powered wedge like the CLR to go with my second Axe FxII unit for two reasons. Something smaller and lighter than the Friedman's for gigging out and also I'm getting another band going with a second guitarist and I want both of us to have an Axe Fx rig at rehearsal. I just read numerous complaints about the CLR's having issues and also poor customer service so I'm looking for a coaxial wedge, two actually. Something around the same price range. I'm still considering the CLR's but I'm worried about problems and service. I've been looking at the Dynacord and another brand or two but just thought I'd get an opinion or two.
I have 2 CLR's no problems at all with mine, I've tried about all the other options and CLR's are the best I've used. they sound Great! Well, let me say when I received the first one the horn didn't work, emailed Tom and he responded immediately with a phone call , said he was sure the wire had jarred loose during shipping , gave me instructions to check it. Said if it wasn't that he would overnight a new one to me and I could return it shipping paid! ( the wire was loose) ,worked perfectly ever since! Actually I've been questioning whether I need Two and considering selling one, maybe? (id have to think about it a bit), but it's not a neo .Lighter than the Friedmans though, I think 46lbs. I'm pretty sure the complaints about service have been communication issues.

I have 3 clr's. Two are being used w/ KW181's for our mains and one is for monitoring my axe on stage. I had a power module go out on mine, but Tom got the situation settled. Not discounting other people's issues, but the nature of the internet is such that it's easy for small companies/products to get a bad rap when it's a relatively small number of people who have problems. Once again, I feel the pain of the people who have had issues.
I haven't played through another monitor that made me anywhere near as happy as playing through the CLR.
How do you like the CLR's for FOH? I've thought about trying it.

I have 2 CLR's no problems at all with mine, I've tried about all the other options and CLR's are the best I've used. they sound Great! Well, let me say when I received the first one the horn didn't work, emailed Tom and he responded immediately with a phone call , said he was sure the wire had jarred loose during shipping , gave me instructions to check it. Said if it wasn't that he would overnight a new one to me and I could return it shipping paid! ( the wire was loose) ,worked perfectly ever since! Actually I've been questioning whether I need Two and considering selling one, maybe? (id have to think about it a bit), but it's not a neo .Lighter than the Friedmans though, I think 46lbs. I'm pretty sure the complaints about service have been communication issues.
I ordered 2 CLR and got my shipping confirmation from Tom today. Between the Friedmans and these I should have some fun and not have any trouble getting a good sound. I wouldn't mind getting the Xitones too but this equipment addiction is getting costly!

How do you like the CLR's for FOH? I've thought about trying it.
I love them...to me they don't alter the tone the way many PA speakers do. My biggest issue is trying to get the bass player (who mainly runs our sound) to stop trying to make the guitar sound like he prefers and keep my tone :) Before someone chimes in about fitting into the mix, I've already low cut in the cab block and am mid heavy...it's a tone thing in my opinion...he thinks guitar should always cut like a knife.

Back
Top Bottom