New FM9...now what?

JFRiley

Hi all, just joined the forum. I just got my FM9 today as a B-Day gift. I'm coming from a Mesa/EVH Stealth background, and this is my first foray into the modeling world. I know there is a huge learning curve ahead of me (like how do I even hook this thing up, lol). Any advice on where to start is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(note: right now I'm coming Youtube videos...lots of great channels out there)

Welcome, I hope you can enjoy as much as the rest of us do. I would highly suggest checking out Leon Todd's channel. He's also a forum member here, @2112 . Any question you have, he most likely has a video about it.

Guy is a savage player and a true gentleman.

Also check out Cooper Carter's channel. A lot of great information. He also had a paid masterclass, I got it, highly recommend it.

One thing I would encourage you is to go through the stock presets. There's a lot of fun to be had there. It can give you a blueprint to create your own tones. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I know there is a huge learning curve ahead of me (like how do I even hook this thing up, lol). Any advice on where to start is greatly appreciated.
Sounds like a job for... Section 4 of the user manual — 4 SETTING UP. Ten or fifteen minutes there will save you a couple of hours of watching videos.

1723673081190.png

Welcome, enjoy and watch out for option paralysis :) see the following post/thread (click on the username)
What I like about this demo/review is that he starts of by saying that if "There's one modeler that gives you option paralysis - it is Fractal" but very soon he ends up with an awesome tone in with just an amp and cab block. It clearly shows how simple it is to get an amazing tone w/o mucking around in the unit (if that's what you want).

90S Help GIF

Haha! Seriously though, enjoy your FM9!
Everyone's here to help.

LOL, thanks for the warm and quick welcome guys. Reading though the manual now. The option paralysis concern was real for me, and almost prevented me from giving this a go.

Out the gate what I'm trying to figure out is the "best" way to use it to get started, given my current gear setup. At my bandmates house I have my real amp and pedal boards. I ASSUMED I would just be running this through a separate power amp and into my existing Mesa 4X4. Reading the manual, its sounds like the default recommend configuration is to go through a FRFR or studio monitors. If I was going to go down that path, any recommendations on what models to look for? I don't have a power amp/cab at my home, nor any Studio monitors, so I can't really use this until I come up with something (right)?

LOL, thanks for the warm and quick welcome guys. Reading though the manual now. The option paralysis concern was real for me, and almost prevented me from giving this a go.

Out the gate what I'm trying to figure out is the "best" way to use it to get started, given my current gear setup. At my bandmates house I have my real amp and pedal boards. I ASSUMED I would just be running this through a separate power amp and into my existing Mesa 4X4. Reading the manual, its sounds like the default recommend configuration is to go through a FRFR or studio monitors. If I was going to go down that path, any recommendations on what models to look for? I don't have a power amp/cab at my home, nor any Studio monitors, so I can't really use this until I come up with something (right)?
Numerous FRFR options possible. Choices range from entry level HeadRush FRFR108 to higher end models. Your limit is only how much you're willing to part with.

Me: Happy owner of 2x QSC CP8's on pole mounts. Previous 2x HeadRush FRFR108's owner. The QSC's are slightly lighter weight, and sound clearer and more evenly balanced. The FRFR108s had this darker blanketed tone from the floor. Pole mounts helped.

You could start with running the FM9 into your existing amp and cab while you shop for a power amp and FRFR cabinet (if that's what you decide to do). The FM9 manual (page 31) shows how to use the FM9 with a traditional amp and cab. Some prefer this for a more "amp in the room" sound.

As mentioned above-The factory Presets. You will learn a lot going thru them. also so many tutorials on youtube...... just type in youtube fractal audio FM9 tutorials.
Going DEEP into the zillion parameters is for LATER after you learn. Although I don't even bother except when I read about certain parameter that does something I might like or need..
And welcome--------

Set up your DAW, hit record, go through each preset and record your newly inspired mind's musings. Fresh gear = fresh ideas. Channel it.
...then read the manual again, and what everyone else has already said.

Back
Top Bottom