New FM3 user questions/observations

Nimbas

Inspired
Hey guys - I just got my FM3 and I've been playing around with it this weekend. Lots of fun. I've noticed something weird and something that's possibly wrong and wanted to get your opinions.

As a preface - I'm going right out of my FM3 to my KRK Rokit 5 studio monitors direct - well known setup - I've been using it for years with Kemper, Helix, GT-1000, etc.

Firstly, if I hook up the USB cable to the FM3 the monitors start buzzing pretty loudly - but then when I hook up the power cable the buzzing stops. Again, not a big deal just weird.

Second, and possibly more critical - my left monitor will start making a buzzing or krackling noise while playing then when I stop playing it keeps doing it. If I turn off the monitor then turn it back on it will have stopped - I start playing again and after a bit it does it again. I also noticed that if I turn off the FM3 it keeps doing it - but if I disconnect the cable from the FM3 it stops. I can use the same cables with my Helix or GT-1000 with no problems. Is there something internally I have setup wrong or perhaps need some kind of reset?

If the same cable and monitor work ok with your other gear, maybe try another monitor or mixer to verify the XLR out on the FM3 is the culprit. Is the problem evident across all patches?

I am using the same monitors for my FM3, but haven't had that issue. Have you tried swapping the monitor's position? Feed the left monitor the right xlr output and see if the problem persists in that speaker or if it's something else.

Last edited:
If the same cable and monitor work ok with your other gear, maybe try another monitor or mixer to verify the XLR out on the FM3 is the culprit. Is the problem evident across all patches?
Yes the patch doesn't seem to matter. Honestly I thought it was the monitor when I turned the FM3 off and it didn't go away - but when I unplugged it from the FM3 it did. I'll do some more testing.

Well, I swapped the cables and the left side was still buzzing - so I guess it can't be the FM3 output. Then, I unplugged and swapped the monitors side to side and now I don't hear it at all so - either it's gone or I don't hear as well on my right side. Either way win, win I guess.

As a side note - do you guys feel your monitors go out a lot? I mean seriously - my first pair was like M-Audio and one died in the first month. Then I got some JBL's and one died like a year later. Yamaha was next but I just didn't enjoy how those sounded - plus I think I prefer front ported monitors since my desk is close to the wall - so I got these KRK's. I can def say I've enjoyed the KRK's most of all.

I am using the same monitors for my FM3, but haven't had that issue. Have you tried swapping the monitor's position? Feed the left monitor the right xlr output and see if the problem persists in that speaker or if it's something else.
Curious how you run yours? I have everything in the back set to 0 but the volume is cranked. On the FM3 I have the volume about 3 o'clock. My Output 1 settings are +4.

I them set to 0 dB for the highs and -1 dB for the lows because of where my monitors live (near walls). I leave the volume at 0 dB and usually have the output 1 about half way up. This is loud enough but comfortable, and doesn't bother the family, lol.

Back
Top Bottom