New Firmware Install 'Quick Review'

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
I must say that I had been getting a bit disappointed with my Axe-fx with the last couple of updates... something just didn't sound 'right'. My other guitarist's 5150 always sounded 'beefier' than my Axe-fx even though I sounded a lot 'clearer'. So yesterday I updated to 15.06 and my FCB1010 wasn't working right. I'd change patches and I would get no sound, I manually change them using the front panel and they would work. I went ahead and reset all parameters, update all presets and amps. Went up the preset chain to Recto Modern and was floored at how good it sounded! It was POD's Here Comes the Boom right off the bat! Just wanted to say thanks to the Cliff and the FAS team!

It was POD's Here Comes the Boom right off the bat!

Well I guess commendations don't get much better than that...

wink.gif

I must say that I had been getting a bit disappointed with my Axe-fx with the last couple of updates... something just didn't sound 'right'. My other guitarist's 5150 always sounded 'beefier' than my Axe-fx even though I sounded a lot 'clearer'. So yesterday I updated to 15.06 and my FCB1010 wasn't working right. I'd change patches and I would get no sound, I manually change them using the front panel and they would work. I went ahead and reset all parameters, update all presets and amps. Went up the preset chain to Recto Modern and was floored at how good it sounded! It was POD's Here Comes the Boom right off the bat! Just wanted to say thanks to the Cliff and the FAS team!

With firmware 5.03, the 5150 emulation actually sound better then the real deal, a friend almost buys the 5150 after we tested it on the Axe FX, but once he had a sit down with the real amp he didn't like it, but continues to love the one in the Axe FX.

With firmware 5.03, the 5150 emulation actually sound better then the real deal, a friend almost buys the 5150 after we tested it on the Axe FX, but once he had a sit down with the real amp he didn't like it, but continues to love the one in the Axe FX.
Firmware 5.03 or 15.03?

Nobody reads the 1st line of every major release:

NOTE: This is a major firmware release which has the potential to alter the sounds of presets.

Damn'd glad it worked out tho!

And the 5150 Amp has moved up to my favorite amp in the box....which is saying something (Red drive/master at noon-ish and I can cover ALOT of territory.)

Nobody reads the 1st line of every major release:

NOTE: This is a major firmware release which has the potential to alter the sounds of presets.

Damn'd glad it worked out tho!

And the 5150 Amp has moved up to my favorite amp in the box....which is saying something (Red drive/master at noon-ish and I can cover ALOT of territory.)

Agreed, but in my case my presets are very simple, whammy/wah (auto engaged), amp, delay (bypassed), reverb (bypassed). My two main presets clean/distorted are have pretty much the exact same blocks and settings for everything except the amp block and delay/reverb enabled for my clean preset. After every firmware I always default the amp block. This time around it still sounded as if the wah or drive was enable... very overdriven and honky. That on top of my FCB1010 muting the three presets I was using (one which was just a copy of my clean preset for testing). I reset all parameters and it just sounded tons better. So something was going on behind the scenes in my case. I went from 15.03 to 15.06.

It "should" sound great. Mine does, even though i have not gone from 15.03 yet. No hurry ;)

can you explain reset all parameters, update all presets and amps. thanks. i often get a 'wtf' when i get an update. thanks.

Yep, and that Carvin amp that Steve Vai uses is incredible!!, i may say it is my favourite when using the volume knob, it cleans so musically...

can you explain reset all parameters, update all presets and amps. thanks. i often get a 'wtf' when i get an update. thanks.

Most of these features are in the utility section of the Axe-fx... resetting all parameters can be done by holding the bypass button for two seconds or just remove the block and add the block again. I think you can also just select another amp, cab, delay setting, etc... within the block and it will reset the advanced settings but keep your current settings. I personally just reset and start from scratch every time I do a firmware update.

Back
Top Bottom