NEW Firmware for: MFC-101 v3.00 and MFC-101 v3.1

Release 3.00 Jan 9, 2013
Upgrading from 2. x
MFC-*‐101 firmware 3.00 is fully compatible with previous 2.x firmware versions.
Upgrading from 2.11 may require you to re-*‐assign Axe-*‐Fx Mode IA switches as they changed in v2.13.
For details on upgrading from 1.x versions, see notes below for v2.01
WHAT’S NEW?
Nex Axe-*‐Fx IA Switch Types:
-*‐ VOL INCR
-*‐ VOL DECR
-*‐ SCENE 1/2 TOGGLE

WHAT’S NEW?
-*‐ VOL INCR
-*‐ VOL DECR

I'm not sure I understand the idea of -*‐ VOL INCR / -*‐ VOL DECR in the MFC….
I already using that function for a year maybe with my II and MFC mkI sw2.18.
Simply choose one of the switches to correspond to -*‐ VOL INCR / DECR option in the Axe menu, that’s it, works like a charm.
So what is the difference now with heaving it in the MFC ?

Vol inc/dec can now be selected directly instead of through a CC.

-*‐ VOL INCR
-*‐ VOL DECR
-*‐ SCENE 1/2 TOGGLE

Is VOL INCR an increase of the output volume? or volume block?
And it would be nice to have a SCENE NEXT and SCENE PREVIOUS option instead of SCENE 1/2 TOGGLE.

ok thanks. Glad I am not the only one wanting the scene increase decrease option.
Vol increase/decrease will be very handy but it also means that you have to sacrifice two switches just for that. The extra 3 (scene 1-5) reveal switches that come free when using scene increase/decrease can be used for that.

Also with the vol increase you have to be really careful not to overload/clip your preset. So when making your presets you have to take this in account. So this means setting the preset volume to a lower value than you would normally do just so you have some reserve.
Or is it so that the vol increase is after the output mixer? so that vol increase works like the output level knob on the Axe (overall volume) and you can not overload the preset? That would make more sense but don't know if this is possible. Not really sure about this.

Last edited:
I use VOL INCR and DECR to be able to level my presets on the go, while playing during rehearsals. I don't change my clean volume (generally the loudest), but match my gainier sounds to it. I wouldn't need them during gigs, but then I could easily assign those switches to something else. That is, if I needed to, which I don't: I only need the 8 scene buttons and the tuner. :)

Pretty handy to have this as an Axe IA switch, saves me from mucking about with CCs and whatnot.

ok thanks. Glad I am not the only one wanting the scene increase decrease option.
Vol increase/decrease will be very handy but it also means that you have to sacrifice two switches just for that. The extra 3 (scene 1-5) reveal switches that come free when using scene increase/decrease can be used for that.

Also with the vol increase you have to be really careful not to overload/clip your preset. So when making your presets you have to take this in account. So this means setting the preset volume to a lower value than you would normally do just so you have some reserve.
Or is it so that the vol increase is after the output mixer? so that vol increase works like the output level knob on the Axe (overall volume) and you can not overload the preset? That would make more sense but don't know if this is possible. Not really sure about this.

1. Vol Inc/Dec is very handy for rehearsals. Whenever I use it, I use a external dual switch, not having to "sacrifice" IAs on the MFC. I'm not a fan of using it live, because
a. It only affects OUT1, not OUT2 (unless you use Copy OUT1 to OUT2)
b. it saves the preset immediately. So if you happen to have changed some effects from their default state, those states get saved too.

2. To prevent clipping, use the reverse method: set your system loud and only use Vol Decr.

3. Vol Inc/Dec work in the digital domain, per preset. There's no relation with the front panel level.

FWIW, I can recommend Roadrunner´s EXT4MFC. 4 external switches built in a rugged module which fits perfectly with the MFC!

I use mine for exactly VOL INC/DECR and SCENE DECR/INCR - as these functions do not need an LED. I then use the bottom line of the MFC as indicators for Scene 1-5 (I rarely use more than 5 scenes in a preset), and the rest of the IA´s mainly as on/off indicators for my most used effect blocks.

I have the SCENE INCR switch on the bottom of the EXT4MFC for easy access, so I can just flip through the scenes which are chronologically programmed for each song-specific preset. Works like a charm! No tap-dancing all over the board, just a simple tap on the lower left button is all I need during playing. Can it be any easier? :D

Info about the unit here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/60819-first-ever-extension-module-mfc-101-a.html

(And no, I do not receive a commision ;) )

3. Vol Inc/Dec work in the digital domain, per preset. There's no relation with the front panel level.

For me personally it would make much more sense that vol increase decrease would work on the overall volume instead of the output mixer volume. So it is easier for volume adjustments on the fly without clipping your presets. With the overall volume you can not clip the preset. With the output mixer increase there is always the potentiality danger of pushing your presets into clipping. But I am not sure if it is even technically possible to make such an 'overall volume increase/decrease' function?

I use mine for exactly VOL INC/DECR and SCENE DECR/INCR - as these functions do not need an LED
Exactly!
After going through many cc I eventually stayed with VOL INC/DECR and SCENE DECR/INCR on the EXT'.
Works so nice in rehearsals and also live, very useful.

For me personally it would make much more sense that vol increase decrease would work on the overall volume instead of the output mixer volume. So it is easier for volume adjustments on the fly without clipping your presets. With the overall volume you can not clip the preset. With the output mixer increase there is always the potentiality danger of pushing your presets into clipping. But I am not sure if it is even technically possible to make such an 'overall volume increase/decrease' function?

With "overall volume" I understand you mean Output 1 and/or 2? As these are physical knobs on the front panel I guess it would be difficult to assign an incr/decr-function of Output volume to an IA? My solution is Expression Pedals. I use a Mission EP-1 for Output vol 1 and a Mission XPB for Output vol 2. I just make sure that I set the knobs on the front panel so I have enough headroom, and then I can adjust both Output 1 and 2 volume on the fly from my pedalboard.

That, combined with VOL INCR/DECR on my EXT4MFC really covers all my needs for on-the-fly-unprogrammed volume changes - right there on my pedalboard.

I just added the XPB to my board, and I find it is a great little device. Really well suited for volume control (with the EP-1, small adjustments on the fly while playing are trlcky), weighs next to nothing and tiny footprint. I am considering getting another, so I use only XPBs for Output vol 1 & 2. That would also free up my EP to use with effects. For starters, I am going to reassign the XPB to Output vol 1 as I am a home player and I don´t need to adjust Output vol 2 very often.

Wait a minute. That link I provided is for something else, a single switch.

What you want (Scene Up, Scene Down) is already possible using CCs 123 and 124.

Thanks for the new MFC FW on all the FAS team works, but i'm sad to see there isn't still the number of the scenes displayed on the screen. :numbness:
it's been a long time that peoples waiting for it.:?

Thanks for the new MFC FW on all the FAS team works, but i'm sad to see there isn't still the number of the scenes displayed on the screen. :numbness:
it's been a long time that peoples waiting for it.:?

Have to agree on that! If at all possible, having the scene number displayed on the MFC would be totally awesome - and would free up 5 IAs on my MFC :)

Back
Top Bottom