NEW DAW

JDWhite

Inspired
Hey All,

I have been using an old version of Cubase SX for quite awhile now. As I have posted on here before, I am still very new to the recording/mixing arena, but would like to step up my game. I was thinking about upgrading to a newer DAW, and just wanted any opinions on what people like for PC 64 bit. I have my eye on pro tools, but thought I would ask here first for opinions.

Thanks,

JD

I'm using Fl studio 10 - fruityloops :D

for me the DAW don't matter that much, you get used to it. lots of lessons on youtube to any DAW I think.

The magic comes with plug-ins and what you put into it how I see it :)

I like the piano roll in fruityloops. I think fl studio fruityloops is kind of a DJ thing. I don't know really. Started with it, continued with it you know?

StudioOne Pro. I just don't think that capabilities, stability and ease of use is matched by anything else out there right now.

I have nothing good to say about ProTools. Nothing.

Reaper, for sure.

It's significantly cheaper than all of the competitor DAW's and can do virtually anything they can. Great UI and workflow too

I've worked with protools, and it's great for shaping audio when recording in a studio (typical band with lots of tracks and drums, the whole schebang)

but for making music from scratch I don't think protools is at it's best. more for like when you have input. it's ok.

I'm with Shasha on ProTools.........why?
When these threads come up I suppose I sound like a broken record.......Reaper, Reaper Reaper.
Based on features, sound quality and cost......nothing better in my opinion.
Try the demo version before you drink the ProTools kool aid.

What does studio one pro do that cubase doesnt ?
For one it uses VST instead of RTAS. It's also much cheaper and until recently didn't require proprietary hardware. I've had mixed success using ASIO drivers with PT in the past. I don't remember if PT has a built in mastering section either.

And in my opinion the better question is what does ProTools do that StudioOne doesn't for the price?

I've used repear, logic, protools, cubase and studio one. For an intermediate user, studio one wins hands down for ease of use. Reaper is dead ugly and unintuitive, logic lacks that true apple sheen, protools more of a tracking daw, cubase is OK but S1 is my preference.

Ultimately up to you, I say give them all a shot and see what works best for you. Good luck.

any opinions about sonar x2? hardly ever see it mentioned on forums
to op - reaper seems to be the most popular for axe-fx users (search for more threads, lots around).

I've used repear, logic, protools, cubase and studio one. For an intermediate user, studio one wins hands down for ease of use. Reaper is dead ugly and unintuitive, logic lacks that true apple sheen, protools more of a tracking daw, cubase is OK but S1 is my preference.

Ultimately up to you, I say give them all a shot and see what works best for you. Good luck.

Studio One gets my vote...it just works and reacts like you would think a software recording/mastering solution should.

Samplitude PRO X. I've trial'd all the ones mentioned and Samplitude was just the most intuitive for me. It's subjective as everyone has their own way of doing things, IMO. Try as many as you can, then stick to it b/c in the end, they all can pretty much do what you need to do. You just learn what you have.

Good luck.

Another Studio One fan here. For me it is the most intuitive DAW I've ever used. It actually makes working with the DAW an enjoyable experience.

I tried the SOv2 demo tonight after reading all of the positive remarks. Two things struck me at the outset:

1) It hung trying to scan a Lexicon VST plugin (for a H/W reverb)
2) I couldn't seem to add a mono input after #8... I have a Mac where I have two fireface 800 units aggregated - they all came in as stereo pair. Rather unintuitive.

Also - I didn't see a lot of handling for MIDI (like MIDI tracks), but to be fair, I only tried it for a few minutes...

Pete

Sonar X2 user here.
Been using Cakewalk Sonar for years, and that's what I'm used to.

My only advice regarding the choice of DAW is this :
Invest some time in trying out the demos/trials of all the DAWs you can find.
-Sonar, Cubase, Studio One, Reaper, Fruityloops, Pro Tools....

Search their sites for videos, walk-throughs and screenshots.
I would also check their user forums to see what the general "feeling" is like among the users.

They are all good, but none of them is perfect IMHO

Happy hunting!
Per

For one it uses VST instead of RTAS. It's also much cheaper and until recently didn't require proprietary hardware. I've had mixed success using ASIO drivers with PT in the past. I don't remember if PT has a built in mastering section either.

And in my opinion the better question is what does ProTools do that StudioOne doesn't for the price?

Confusing ProTools with Cubase, maybe?

I work with Cubase, Logic, ProTools and Reason.

In Cubase, the big plus for me is the drum editor. It's just more straight forward than the piano roll on drums. The big minus is the 'everything in a seperate window' approach. it hinders my workflow.

ProTools big plus is the ease with which you can edit audio. Minuses are RTAS, having to wait until recently for plugin delay compensation (which is still a bugbear.... like, why have to wait so long???).

Logic is a great all rounder. Easy to edit audio and midi, the hyper editor, the environment, folder tracks to handle huge projects, etc. Minuses: Apple treats you like you're thick, hiding certain functionalities, Apple dependency.

Reason is great for music making, containing a lot of instruments in the box, a user friendly mixer that's logically laid out in one (albeit, huge) window, and (finally) the ability to record audio. Minuses: lack of third party plugin compatability (no VST, RTAS, AU), but I think that's about to change, if it hasn't already.....?

Of those four, if I had to choose one, it'd be Logic. Even though you are tied into Apple. If you don't use mac, then it'd have to be Cubase followed by Reason. I wouldn't touch ProTools right now, unless you're doing projects for third parties where file compatibility for studio mixdown might be an issue.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Back
Top Bottom