New Cooling Fan in Axe II

Damn. I also ordered the 80mm, but now I'm thinking I probably have the 60mm in mine. Just canceled the order until I can confirm. I wonder how difficult it would be to rig up the 80mm fan.

Damn. I also ordered the 80mm, but now I'm thinking I probably have the 60mm in mine. Just canceled the order until I can confirm. I wonder how difficult it would be to rig up the 80mm fan.

I dealt with this many moons ago in my own way. Maybe you can garner some info from my thread here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/40905-yet-another-fan-story.html#post550244

I went the extra effort and did the whole "angling offset" thing but maybe you wouldn't need to do that. I would suggest having someone with the newer 80mm units take a pic how they mounted it with respect to positioning and "possibly" use some similar approach to mine to implement it.

Here's something from a previous post not too long ago from when I was dealing with this very issue.

(link for cooling fan) http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77368&vpn=NF-A6x25%20FLX&manufacture=Noctua

For Axe FX MK I (60mm fan)

Being in Canada I was unable to order any of the previously posted fan adapters from the US. Haven't found any yet here in Canada through the major online stores here... but I did pick up this:

NCIX - Buy Computers, Computer Parts, Laptops, World's Leading Discount Computer Store

... dead nuts quiet with ample airflow which is impressive for a 60mm fan.

First I compared the two fans for airflow so I had an idea what to look for when I compared their running time in the Axe. That went well so I ran the Axe with the stock fan for 1 hour on a patch that used a 75% CPU with cover on, then repeated with the new one for an hour as well. Same patch. Kept it just as cool...if not a bit cooler The only thing you have to watch out for is the 25mm depth of the new fan. If you have it to close to the cover it won't draw as much air as it needs to thus not going to push the proper airflow. I had to come up with an alternative way to fasten the fan on the legs on the cover due to the extra depth of the new fan without getting too close and smothering the heatsinks. I know that with PC's the fan is right on top of the CPU heatsink but because of the more restricted/recycled air for the overall airflow... Definitely "A MUST TO OPTIMIZE" the 60mm fans position with the 25mm depth. To take the guess work out of it, use the stock standoffs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The fan in my Axe-Fx2 is completely silent when it's turned off.
When I play guitar I can't hear it ...

What! is the fan that loud?..you can't hear your guitar anymore :D

Also it is completely silent when turned off..mine too :D

Everything is relative. When the Matrix GT1500 power amp is turned off here, the silence seems deafening, can't hear the Axe.

If anyone has suggestions for quieter fans for the Matrix amps...

Same problem here. The GT800FX is so loud that when i`m not playing I have to turn it off. The singer in our band always asks Whats that noise? at the beginning of our rehearsals when I have it on :/ I have tried asking Matrix support, but they claim the fans to be the best there is...

Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like the fan shipped before they could cancel the order, so maybe I'll try to rig up something to use the 80mm fan. Not looking forward to hacking up my case and using JB Weld. If not, maybe I'll look at the 60mm options and try the rubber o-ring suspension system to isolate vibrations.

Et voila! Thank you Joe1871....went to the chinese computer parts street in Paris today and grabbed one of those noiseblockers for 15 euros...was a bit worried about how to mount the new 25mm thick fan but the nice silicon rubber pads just slide on the mounting posts.....Wonderful and so quiet! :)

Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like the fan shipped before they could cancel the order, so maybe I'll try to rig up something to use the 80mm fan. Not looking forward to hacking up my case and using JB Weld. If not, maybe I'll look at the 60mm options and try the rubber o-ring suspension system to isolate vibrations.

No hacking necessary. Just place your mounts caddy-corner and rotate the lid 180 degrees. Leave the 60mm intact.

Et voila! Thank you Joe1871....went to the chinese computer parts street in Paris today and grabbed one of those noiseblockers for 15 euros...was a bit worried about how to mount the new 25mm thick fan but the nice silicon rubber pads just slide on the mounting posts.....Wonderful and so quiet! :)

Hey Saturate68 - very glad it worked out for you. Makes a big difference, no?

Joe

No hacking necessary. Just place your mounts caddy-corner and rotate the lid 180 degrees. Leave the 60mm intact.

I like your solution and I suppose "hacking" was too strong a term, but I'd rather not make any permanent modifications if I can help it. I have both the 80mm and 60mm Noiseblockers enroute, so I'm going to compare relative noise levels and see if the 60mm with rubber suspension provides good enough noise reduction for my purposes.

Just a note of caution. Make sure you have ample room between the lid and fan to allow air intake where no vacuum is being created.

Back
Top Bottom