New computer, interface. Can you check my head on what I am trying to do?

LigLury

2009 iMac is due for replacement, firewire interface will now be obsolete. I want to avoid some aspects of my setup that annoyed me, however trivial they may seem.

- I don't want to use the Axe as an interface, at all. USB for Axe-Edit and updates, etc. only. (I can elaborate if anyone thinks it is important).

I guess that is my list of don't wants. What I am trying to accomplish is this:

• Record stereo Output 1.
  • Record mono direct out.
  • Monitor and Record Output 2. (I can easily live with not recording this output). Output 2 gets used for quadrophonic presets, "big" stereo, and sometimes just when I don't want to fire up the main speakers. So the ability to seperately control level is a must.
  • All conveniently controlled by a monitor controller on my desk, (aided by flex-able routing on the interface)

It would be really cool if there was an interface that allowed the Axe to use its USB audio as an input, but I don't think that exists. I should be embarrassed at how much time I wasted trying to figure out if that was possible before I realized you wouldn't be able to also use Axe Edit.

Here is the solution I have come up with:

OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS.
Motu Ultralite Mk4. (possibly the Ultralite AVB or 624). Mostly due to the routing matrix. I like the Mk4 because it is the least $ of the 3 and the SPDIF is coax so no extra little box (not a huge deal).

Guitar into Axe: SPDIF for Output 1, Out 2 > analog in, Out 3 copies input 1 (for direct) >analog in... but this would be unbalanced (does it matter)?
or
Guitar into Axe: Out 1 > analog in, Out 2 > analog in, SPDIF copies input 1 (for direct). Better idea?
or
Guitar into Motu: Direct signal into computer but also either Analog out or SPDIF > Axe, Axe SPDIF for Out 1 to interface, Out 2 > Analog in. Best idea?

The Motu main outs would be sent to a monitor controller. Due to the routing matrix on the Motu, I could route the signal from Axe Out 2 to a seperate analog out, which then could be sent to the "Studio Outs" on the same monitor controller for seperate control.

I was thinking of trying out the Behringer Control2USB for this.

The Mk4 = $600
Control2 = $200

That is pushing the higher end of my budget for this (hence the Control2). If there was an absolutely killer solution that went a little higher I would consider it. But if there was a great solution for less it would put an FC12 closer in reach.

The questions are
A) are the 3 ideas I had above good? which is best?
B) am I overlooking something stupid?
C) is there a better idea?

Thank you for your time.

Guitar into MOTU is going to be your best bet if you want to record both DI and wet at the same time. Then run spdif to and back from the AxeFX to the motu for your wet. Other options will involve extraneous a/d conversions. All of these options will be convoluted compared to simply using usb or using an aggregate device, but it sounds like you know that.

Don’t toss your FireWire interface so quickly, there are firewire adapters for thunderbolt (all versions) available from Apple. My new Mac has thunderbolt 3 ports and I’m still using my Presonus RM32ai. It continues to work just fine. If your current interface meets your needs it isn’t obsolete due to the FireWire interface. :)

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like my 3rd connection scenario is the way to go. Hadn't thought of saving the firewire interface with an adapter, saves me almost enough to go ahead with the FC12.

Don’t toss your FireWire interface so quickly, there are firewire adapters for thunderbolt (all versions) available from Apple. My new Mac has thunderbolt 3 ports and I’m still using my Presonus RM32ai. It continues to work just fine. If your current interface meets your needs it isn’t obsolete due to the FireWire interface. :)
Same here 2019 Mac mini, tb3-tb2, tb2-fw, fw interface. (Sapphire pro 40).
Works great, but you do need to ensure you can get drivers working on the latest version of macos.

Back
Top Bottom