New Cell Phone needed

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
I love a good deal! I am an Android guy, yea I hear all the flack coming my way... :D

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a newer model Samsung Galaxy?
Thanks!

I just ordered the Galaxy S23 Ultra in green :) Verizon waived upgrade fee and overnight shipping......so I also got the watch 6 and earbuds. They saw me coming.

Screenshot 2023-08-07 121407.pngScreenshot 2023-08-07 121626.png

I'm a Galaxy guy. I went from the S8 to the S23. Wife had S9. The only 2 complaints I have are:
1. The lack of notification blinking light. I find myself checking my phone more now to see if I missed anything.
2. The lack of the 1/8" headphone jack. There are adapters, which I have... but now I have to keep one around.

I'm a Galaxy guy. I went from the S8 to the S23. Wife had S9. The only 2 complaints I have are:
1. The lack of notification blinking light. I find myself checking my phone more now to see if I missed anything.
2. The lack of the 1/8" headphone jack. There are adapters, which I have... but now I have to keep one around.
No notification light? Awe, I want that and didn't realize it went away. I upgraded from S6 Edge and you can set notification colors for alert types !!

No notification light? Awe, I want that and didn't realize it went away. I upgraded from S6 Edge and you can set notification colors for alert types !!
Yeah, you can turn on some "edge" thing that illuminates the screen edge but you pretty much have to see as it's happening to know if you have a notification. I really miss the little dot that would light up (blue=Facebook, yellow=Snapchat, green=text message, etc).

The camera is amazing though. Shots of the moon are silly good.

20230801_232038.jpg

Google phone and then Graphene OS. Nothing better! ;)

I run Graphene on my Pixel 6 - love it. My wife just got a new Pixel 7a to replace her Samsung - the 7a is a very nice phone for the moola. She won't let me put Graphene on it, but the 7a will probably be my next phone too.

I too hate the Samsung bloatware as well their BS UI wrapper around Android.

I love Google Pixel phones. Near-stock Android experience, fast updates and little superfluous crap. The Pixel 7A is $444 right now, unlocked without a contact. That's what I'd get if I were getting something today. I love my 6A.

Still using my Samsung s10e, love it.
Cost was like $320, big enough but not too big, decent battery life, though I did replace the battery after it swelled up.

Not super into having the very best phone, cheapskate.

I like my Pixel 7 Pro! I use it to video record my live shows, a huge improvement in sound quality over my Panasonic Lumix 100, although a small step down in image quality over the Lumix (the Pixel can be a bit noisy in low light).

I love a good deal! I am an Android guy, yea I hear all the flack coming my way... :D

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a newer model Samsung Galaxy?
Thanks!
just grabbed a like new samsung s20 from backspace. 2nd experience buying used phones from them. saves bundles. $200 or less depending on how good the condition is. i got "good". frankly i think it's "great".

If I was going to buy a Samsung right now, I'd probably buy a old Galaxy Note20 Ultra. It was pretty much the last phone they made with an sd card slot. My S8 is pretty busted up, but I'm slow to do anything about it as I can still make out the screen, and it has my music on it.

I hate Samsung in general, but I'm not buying anything Apple makes, and I've not found another phone with the same features.

I'll say, even with what I already said, the big downside with Samsung, and maybe all the Android phones, is that they cut off support pretty quick. I know if I buy that Note20, it's already at least three years old as far as Samsung is concerned, so the odds are good they no longer offer support for it. No new Android versions, no security updates, etc. Which is fine, until say, you need the Avis rental car app, and they no longer have a version of it that will work on the OS the phone has.

It's just a problem in general with all this move to requiring a phone for everything, but that only works if you're willing to plunk down $1000 every couple of years to buy whatever shit they shovel at you. Don't like some feature? Too bad. They took some feature away? Too bad. Really a shit industry IMHO.

If I was going to buy a Samsung right now, I'd probably buy a old Galaxy Note20 Ultra. It was pretty much the last phone they made with an sd card slot. My S8 is pretty busted up, but I'm slow to do anything about it as I can still make out the screen, and it has my music on it.

I hate Samsung in general, but I'm not buying anything Apple makes, and I've not found another phone with the same features.
Ok I'll bite.

What features does it have that I'd miss with a Pixel 7A?

Funny how many people love one & hate the other!
My kids swear by apple. They drink the kool-aid!
I got burned with my apple ipod $500! Turned into a paper weight when the battery went dead!! :rage:
And the itunes game. I'm not big on apple at all.
Looking at upgrading from an S9 Galaxy. Never a bit of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom