New Cab Pack! OBOT THE ROBOT

Took me a while until I got some time left to try this pack, so I'm late to the party.

Among the 4x12 AX V30 stuff there are some IRs that are far better than anything that I've ever heard before out of my axe-fx. Pure awesomeness. There is some ACDC like timbre in the mids and highs that I never had before. I even had to bypass my usual mid boost eq, it's already in there, these IRs are good to go.

I wonder why there was not much raving about the new pack. maybe people got tired of 20+ packs. However I'm glad that I gave this one a try.

Thanx FAS!

Ok bought the pack and had not time to load it in can lab and screw around. Last night I loaded all the 57 and 121 ir's of the triptik cab into my ax. Showed up early to a gig where I knew I would have time to mess around. Triptik cab with a 57 and a 121 and a Triptik modern = winning!

Bump.
Is it an EVM-12L in the IIC+ cab or not?

OK. I got tired of waiting to find out what the driver was in the IIC+ so I bought the Cab Pack anyway.
$30 gamble.
Sounds like a 12L to me.
I'll be real surprised if I'm told later on down the line that this isn't a 12L.

These IRs are nice and bright and do possess that 12L top end sibilance I've been missing from most other commercial 12L IRs.
I actually have to lower the hi cut down to 5k @12Db/oct, especially for gainier tones.
I'm often looking for ways to brighten up my other commercial 12L IRs, e.g. via the Air Parameter.
Lots of bottom on hand too.

Right now, the IIC+ 57 A IR looks like it may become my go to IR.
It's not ideal in its raw state though.
I do Phase at 10, low cut at 80hz and hi cut at 5000hz at -12dB/oct.
I also add in 33% Room effect with stock mic spacing and room size.
Seems to sound very much like my actual 1 X 12 open back 12L cabs.

I might be making progress finally in the FRFR domain.

Hey guys,
I was in the studio assisting and can say these ir's sounded just amazing. The Carol Ann cab is not the same cab as the original one (which was a combo cab). It is his standard 1/12 cab 8 ohm scholtz. It is amazing sounding. The 4/12 was Alan's from Carol Ann as well. I begged him to sell it for 4 years and finally got the cab from him. It is super worn in and is just killer. Hope everyone enjoys the pack. The amount of time and hard work that went into shooting these cabs was eye opening for me. Enjoy everyone!

Hey guys,
I was in the studio assisting and can say these ir's sounded just amazing. The Carol Ann cab is not the same cab as the original one (which was a combo cab). It is his standard 1/12 cab 8 ohm scholtz. It is amazing sounding. The 4/12 was Alan's from Carol Ann as well. I begged him to sell it for 4 years and finally got the cab from him. It is super worn in and is just killer. Hope everyone enjoys the pack. The amount of time and hard work that went into shooting these cabs was eye opening for me. Enjoy everyone!

And the IIC+?
What was the driver inside that cab?

My recollection was that it was a v30 the cab sounded killer since I don't own it I can't look to see but that was what I remember

According to the " OBOT" Cab Pack specs it's an all-original IIC+ cabinet. That makes it unlikely that it has a V30 inside.

Thanks.
But the IRs sure don't sound like a V30 to me.

After much experimentation I'm finding that I don't like these IIC+ IRs all that much after all.
Assuming that these are of an EVM-12L, I have other 12L IRs I like better.
I seem to keep coming back to the original Ownhammer Thiele cab 12L IRs, not the V3 pack.
[Kevin - If you're reading this....
It'd be great if there were wavs of this pack that were 200ms or more lying around your hard drives so that I could do UltraRes versions of this cab pack.
Any chance of that?
Your V3 Thiele 12L pack is good too, but the IRs in the original Thiele 12L pack work better for me.]
With tons of Dephase and low cut, the stock Rumble 12L IR is petty good too.

When Redwirez and Ownhammer first came on the scene, the 12L was routinely being captured.
Why it is that IR makers nowadays seem to be passing on 12Ls with every new cab pack is a mystery to me.
It's a very highly regarded driver in many different circles of guitar playing, from jazz to pop to metal.

My own little goal of being able to closely duplicate my 12L-based power amp + cabs rig via FRFR shouldn't be this hard, and I don't think it would be if more people who know how to mic a cab and shoot an IR would do more 12L IRs.
I've shot several of my own IRs of my own cabs over the years but there's always something I don't like about the results, probably because I don't know wtf I'm doing. lol

Still would be nice to know for sure if these IIC+ IRs really are 12Ls.
Kinda weird that nobody at Fractal seems to know this.

I have seen this in action on Youtube and is most impressive. Must have been nice to sit in the control room and tweak mic positions. So jelly, you get to play with all the cool toys, lol.

We took that virtual mic up idea further and realized it would require almost an unlimited amount of IR's. Think about all the distances in space and XYZ axis and in addition mic angle. It's kind of against all logic to shoot 95% clearly bad IR's. But still let's say we do something like that and end up with around 10000 IR's. What would happen next? Would people ask which positions they should use? Should we have "Ace" mic positions?

Haha. Sorry for my skepticism. Believe me that's an idea I've toyed with myself. The thing is that 1mm can be the difference between a good and a great IR. With the amount of IR's you'd have to shoot this would definitely need to be automated and in the end I don't think we would have something that's better than what we have now.

I am not sure I am interested in the whole vertical thing but I dig how positive grids did their's. Looks cool and was straight fwd

Back
Top Bottom