New Big Wreck EP

Jipps0525

Power User
New Big Wreck EP/album just came out today. Big wreck is my favorite band currently and I really enjoy listening to their tunes several times a week. Huge fan of Ian and saw them live for the first time in June at a small theatre in NYC. They killed it. Best live band I’ve seen in awhile. I think this new EP, they stretched their musical boundaries a fair bit and they were successful. I def wish for a couple more Ian solos, but from what I’ve read, this EP is similar to their 7 album and might be released in three different parts/EPs, so hopefully we get a few more solos. The mix of this album was stellar, the harmonies were really freaken good, and some of the soundscapes were awesomeeeeee. Some tunes are still growing on me. I think one tune was a miss for me. But overall, I found it very pleasant to listen to this album a few times through already. I enjoyed it a lot. It hits me in a different spot. I made this post because I love Big Wreck, and especially Ian Thornley, so just hoping to open up more discussion and hopefully learn some new things. Appreciate anyone who shares!

I got to listen to about 3 songs today while driving. I'm enjoying it so far.

I really dig Ian's playing, singing and songwriting and I learned of Big Wreck via this forum.

I like to tell music and guitar fans about them because they aren't that well known.

I think one tune was a miss for me.
Let me guess: Bird of Paradise?

Very 80's major key riff to open the song and then it cycles thru a few other styles and feels that felt to me (at least at only one listen) somewhat disconnected.

Maybe it will grow on me over time...

Let me guess: Bird of Paradise?

Very 80's major key riff to open the song and then it cycles thru a few other styles and feels that felt to me (at least at only one listen) somewhat disconnected.

Maybe it will grow on me over time...
No I love that tune as a matter of fact! I get where you’re coming from, but the vocal Melodies are so damn pleasing and pleasant to me. Makes me think of just holding my dog in my arms and enjoying the moment. I think so far, either the summer song or Bail out is a miss for me. Not that I dislike them, and they may still grow on me. I’m gonna listen again though. I do wish we got at least one standard rock/blues tune and a couple solid Ian solos

No I love that tune as a matter of fact! I get where you’re coming from, but the vocal Melodies are so damn pleasing and pleasant to me. Makes me think of just holding my dog in my arms and enjoying the moment. I think so far, either the summer song or Bail out is a miss for me. Not that I dislike them, and they may still grow on me. I’m gonna listen again though. I do wish we got at least one standard rock/blues tune and a couple solid Ian solos
Yeah... More Ian solos would be great!

in musical current events, this is what’s being stated on the Big Wreck fan page on Facebook.

View attachment 130871

Just seen this and was going to post, you beat me to it!

He'd mentioned in a podcast a while back it was something he wanted to do for the fly dates.

Wonder if @Admin M@ or any of the Fractal team have any insight they know or would be happy to share about what Ian and Chris are using in their setups

Just seen this and was going to post, you beat me to it!

He'd mentioned in a podcast a while back it was something he wanted to do for the fly dates.

Wonder if @Admin M@ or any of the Fractal team have any insight they know or would be happy to share about what Ian and Chris are using in their setups
Yeah that would be awesome, I’m guessing you’ll really need his pickup combo/ the way they’re wired to being you much closer to any of his tones

In Fair Light is one of my favorite songs ive heard in a long time. I knew nothing of the band and a friend sent me it. The intro is a full vibe.

bail out is kinda lame. One of those "heavy for the sake of heavy" feeling songs. But that was just on a first listen.

In Fair Light is one of my favorite songs ive heard in a long time. I knew nothing of the band and a friend sent me it. The intro is a full vibe.

bail out is kinda lame. One of those "heavy for the sake of heavy" feeling songs. But that was just on a first listen.
I thought the same about Bail Out but it's really grown on me over the past few weeks

In Fair Light is a masterpiece

I'm so disappointed as I was hoping to get down to Phoenix and catch them on Friday, but I won't be able to. And that they're using only the Axe-FX III's now is an even bigger bummer! Totally loving the new EP btw, just some killer tunes!

Can confirm. Saw them last night in Oakland. Sounded great. FC12s only on stage, with un miked cabs. Ian with a Suhr 412 and Chris had 2 Revv cabs. Sounded great.

Attachments

• IMG_5340.jpeg
    IMG_5340.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5339.jpeg
    IMG_5339.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Can confirm. Saw them last night in Oakland. Sounded great. FC12s only on stage, with un miked cabs. Ian with a Suhr 412 and Chris had 2 Revv cabs. Sounded great.
Well shit!

For some reason I thought California was later... I guess I missed my opportunity.

Where was it, Fox Theatre?

Back
Top Bottom