New AXEFXII dude ( Early Observations )

Uh, fan speeds change depending on temperature. Isn't it likely that the axe2 with its dual dsps is running pretty hot? and fan speeds change in every CPU based product. Sorry for stating the obvious but since no one mentioned it...

Also heavy duty servers can get plenty loud! It's for a reason - overheating is s bitch!

I dont think this is a variable DC fan with Temperature F/B.

Oh! I was under the impression it was, since some people posted that the fan speed varies?

In any case, i'd never swap out a processor fan - modern processors run extremely hot and face tons of overheating issues - case in point nvidia gfx cards. I'd rather put up with some noise as opposed to having to deal with a busted processor! Theres a reason why a product manufacturer put something in. YMMV but IMO the best thing to do is to leave it as it is!!!

Last edited:
I strongly discourage replacing the stock fan with a SilenX. In our tests those fans do NOT deliver their rated airflow. In the old Axe-Fx you could get away with it. In the II you're playing with fire.

This is the kind of post I would make sure everyone sees by starting its own thread and make it sticky.

I'm pretty sure that LOTS of folks would be happy to learn that...

I have no doubt they sound great through a guitar cab, in fact I know they do... So does gen I. And so does pretty much any other modeler I have tried into a nice power amp / cab setup. At that point you are basically using it as a very nice preamp with really good fx, but I personally feel you are only getting half the versatility and half the 'story' at that point. Even your time based fx are somewhat compromised because they are being fed before the power amp + cab
I firmly believe the weak(est) points of the POD HD, 11R and GSP1101 are the cab models (the GSP allows third party IRS but only 512 in size and I think that is noticeable and detrimental). I personally feel the very best modelers (really only the AxeFX to be honest) have a chance of holding up really well using frfr. Really well for me means not missing a "real amp" in the slightest.
Firmware 11 really added something extra and special when I had my standard; it seemed to close the gap for me blurring the lines between a real amp (that was sitting 5 feet away from me during AB comparisons) and FRFR (studio monitors). I am going under the assumption that AxeFX II is going to be even more realistic, defined and have almost all of the nuances of a full rig in every aspect. I think those nuances that I'm expecting may get lost if using a traditional power amp plus cab, that is all.
But like I said, to each his or her own and the AxeFX plus power amp and cab is still an incredibly deep and versatile tone machine. To be totally honest I'm considering going back to an AxeFX standard and using studio monitors for recording/low volume and power amp plus cab for live / in the room because I KNOW that will always sound really good. But if I forge ahead with the II it's FRFR or bust.

I do intent to get an Axe-Fx II, and I will sell my standard, but I have no intention of doing the FRFR thing. I have to go with a power amp + 4x12 for it to sound 'real' to me. I Tried FRFR with my standard and I absolutely hated it. Many others gushed about how wonderful it is, and for them I am sure it is. For me it just didn't work. Personal choice.

I do intent to get an Axe-Fx II, and I will sell my standard, but I have no intention of doing the FRFR thing. I have to go with a power amp + 4x12 for it to sound 'real' to me. I Tried FRFR with my standard and I absolutely hated it. Many others gushed about how wonderful it is, and for them I am sure it is. For me it just didn't work. Personal choice.

I have the same observation with my Ultra. Sometimes I am in the FRFR mode and sometimes I want the thump from the 4x12. Solution: I use both at the same time. Works great for playing at home. I have the Atomic sitting above head level in the loft in front of me and the cab on the floor. I get the best of both worlds. None of them is a clear winner by themselves. Personal choice...

Back
Top Bottom