New Axe FX2 XL+ user but have some issues

imograss

I am on my 3rd week with the axe and MFC101, and I am having a difficult time finding a few key patches that will work for me.
First off I am a newb with the axe fx, but not really for modeling. I listen online and hear what people are doing with this and it just blows me away. I have watched many tutorials ect., but I just can't seem to find a happy medium for some basic requirements. I hope, and think I am doing something obvious .
I run my Axe into a Mosvalve poweramp and 212 cab loaded with vintage 30's (output 2) then use output 1 direct to PA.
I need a decent mild gain patch for classic rock (AC/DC ish) tones. The wrecker patch sounds good online, but not through my setup.
I get a thin shrill, fizzy and sometimes flubby sound on most settings and cant seem to dial in something that sounds great through both my cab and headpones/PA.

I use input 1 with cab sims, and 2 for my cab.
Settings on my mixing board are flat and I still have to dial them way back but there is no decent sound there.
I have only the stock cabs and amps on the axe fx but have created a few patches of my own that sound decent through my cab but terrible through the cab sim/direct.
Thanks in advance for your patience and help.

How does your tone translate through headphones?

I would start there, then figure out what's going on with the outboard gear.

I'm not at home now either and would have to actually be there to tell you, lol. The short hand instructions are to export the preset and upload using the "upload a file" button here.

There are probably other ways that I don't know about as well,lol.

I'm not at home now either and would have to actually be there to tell you, lol. The short hand instructions are to export the preset and upload using the "upload a file" button here.

There are probably other ways that I don't know about as well,lol.
I'll give it a try tonight thanks

There are a few ways to reduce fizzy or harsh tones. First of all, dial in your preset at the volume you want to use your setting, there's a big difference between bedroom and stage level in sound behavior. Try the eq in the amp block and lower 4khz, sometimes it needs -2 or 3 db, maybe you have to add a little bit of 2 kHz to compensate the highs. Be careful of using the bass knob in the amp block, to much and the sound is flubby, often with Marshall type amps. For your output with cab sims try different cab sims till you get the nearest sound you looking for, sometimes a 2x12cab sim sounds better than a 4x12. You can try to cut the lows and highs in the cab bock, e.g. Low cut start with 70 -80 Hz, high something at 8 kHz as a starting point.
Hope you understand my poor English. Keep on rocking

I would suggest trying to get it to sound good on your cab only first, since this is a limiting factor for you. Then try to find a IR that sounds most like your cab, complimentary to it or shoot an IR of your cab. Keep in mind you are using a tube power amp going to your cab, but don't have a tube power amp going to your PA. Option here is to use a two amp setup where one doesn't use the power amp modeling going to your tube amp and cab then the other amp would use the power amp modeling going to the cab sim then PA. Personally I would dump the tube amp, go solid state and use 1 amp sim for both. Its not likely you will ever get both sounding exactly the same without some advanced tweaking of the power amp sim and a perfectly matched IR.

I would suggest trying to get it to sound good on your cab only first, since this is a limiting factor for you. Then try to find a IR that sounds most like your cab, complimentary to it or shoot an IR of your cab. Keep in mind you are using a tube power amp going to your cab, but don't have a tube power amp going to your PA. Option here is to use a two amp setup where one doesn't use the power amp modeling going to your tube amp and cab then the other amp would use the power amp modeling going to the cab sim then PA. Personally I would dump the tube amp, go solid state and use 1 amp sim for both. Its not likely you will ever get both sounding exactly the same without some advanced tweaking of the power amp sim and a perfectly matched IR.
actually the power amp is a solod state amp. Its just made by Mos Valve Tubeworks

here is a hard rock patch that sounds good (to me) on my cab, but fizzy on the headphones and PA

Attachments

• Crunch Berries.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 6
Ah, ok. I can't get to my Axe just yet so, are you sending out a separate shunt out from your amp to output 2 without a cab block?

Basically, you don't want to send a signal to your cabinet that already has a cabinet IR effect on it.

Do any of the presets sound good to you? You might start there, tweak one for FOH, then work the cab side.

If NONE of the presets sound right, then there might be something in your setup that isn't set correctly.

You just had your fx loop block sending out to your main output, which you don't want. Try this one and let me know. Nice and junky rythm tone, man!

Attachments

• Crunch Berries Edited.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
Now, if that doesn't work for both FOH and your cabinet setup, then you may have to do what was already suggested and set up 2 separate amps, send one with cab block to FOH and one without cab block to your cab. Or you can keep like you have it and EQ one or the other to your taste.

actually the power amp is a solod state amp. Its just made by Mos Valve Tubeworks
Well how dare they stick the word tube into their company name...:) Suppose I should have checked specs first. Those amps are designed to color the sound and distort "like" a tube amp so you may still want to consider dual amp setup if you want a "perfect" match. Honestly it probably won't make that much of a difference though. But as noted above, if you send your loop signal direct to out1 without cab sims it will sound like a fizzy mess for sure..

Back
Top Bottom