New Axe FX Ultra EJ Patch

John Czajkowski said:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7014279&q=hi

Here’s a dual rig preset I wrote for EJ type sounds. It toggles between an A clean and B woolly mammoth. I don’t have the right kind of guitar to really try to nail the tone more, but this might be getting in the ballpark.

That is actually quite close. Well done !

I'm usually not too interested in patches since they allways only work for the player who programmed it, but I'd really like to see that one on Axechange (and probably a few more people) ...

That sounds great (nice playing as well) ............ is it an EJ or JC sound !!!! The "Wooly Mammoth" bit sounds thick yet clear. Very very nice.

VegaBaby said:
John Czajkowski said:

Here’s a dual rig preset I wrote for EJ type sounds. It toggles between an A clean and B woolly mammoth. I don’t have the right kind of guitar to really try to nail the tone more, but this might be getting in the ballpark.

That is actually quite close. Well done !

I'm usually not too interested in patches since they allways only work for the player who programmed it, but I'd really like to see that one on Axechange (and probably a few more people) ...

+1 I'd like to see that preset online as well. Nice work John!

Thank you very much guys.

Hey Bub, didn't know you hang out here. :eek:

I know I'm lame...I promise I'll post this preset and more when i get around to hooking this thing up to the computer. :roll:

John Czajkowski said:

Did you use a Twin for the clean tone ?

Thanks again for listening. ;)

VegaBaby said:
John Czajkowski said:

Did you use a Twin for the clean tone ?

I had to compromise a little on resources since I am running a parallel amp signal path. I didn't copy the exact signal path for EJ's rig. Ideally, I'd like to have put a Tape Dist in front of the Clean to simulate the Echoplex preamp (and an EQ for that matter) that is so much a part of the EJ clean tone, but it just ran out of CPU. Also, the B dist side needs more EQ than the amp controls have to offer, but that's what happens when you try to do an A/B rig sometimes.

Here's what I did for the A and B side.

The clean side A goes: in>comp>Brownface>Blackface2x12>

Dist side B goes: Fuzz>PLexi>Brit4x12>

then the cab outs join in a Y to >Chorus>Delay>outs

The A/B toggles between various mix levels on the FX of course. (for example, the chorus mix fades down to zero% as you morph to the B side)

John Czajkowski said:
I had to compromise a little on resources since I am running a parallel amp signal path. I didn't copy the exact signal path for EJ's rig. Ideally, I'd like to have put a Tape Dist in front of the Clean to simulate the Echoplex preamp (and an EQ for that matter) that is so much a part of the EJ clean tone, but it just ran out of CPU. Also, the B dist side needs more EQ than the amp controls have to offer, but that's what happens when you try to do an A/B rig sometimes.

The A/B toggles between various mix levels on the FX of course. (for example, the chorus mix fades down to zero% as you morph to the B side)

You could of course use two separate patches and use spillover... In a way that would be even more like how he does it and you'd have more cpu left for anything else you may need ...

Not yet MKeditor, but I promise, I'll get them on there.

VegaBaby said:
John Czajkowski said:

You could of course use two separate patches and use spillover... In a way that would be even more like how he does it and you'd have more cpu left for anything else you may need ...

I may ultimately do this, but my first goal with the Axe was to, as much as possible, to recreate my existing setups using this A/B rig centered around two Egnater heads, Eclipse, Lexicon G2 and Synth in a complex W/D/D/W system with parallel signal paths for guitar, FX, synth, and piezo. The main goal of these systems were to minimize my pedal dancing. Having two parallel paths where I can toggle between them with one button is really important in my band due to how much I pop back and forth between them. I have one switch set up as Latching and the other as momentary. Tune like the Dregs Cruise control would be much more difficult to pull off live because I have 4 different signal paths and need to pop back and forth between them at a pretty quick rate. Also, having a standardized routine where I am always physically on the same two buttons is critical. The programs come and go, but the A/B switches are always in the same place.

johnczajkowski.jpg

Figure 1. A man and his ego. "If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough, Pilgrim" - J Wayne

And crazy signal flows like:

F_Street_Javablade_Screen.jpg

Figure 2. Brain gone haywire. OCD is a serious physiological condition affecting many music professionals.

There are full rig descriptions at the HWM website Machines page. http://www.hecticwatermelon.com/machines.cfm

The Axe FX Ultra is so damn powerful, it lets me simulate the guitar amp and FX side of my big rig with very good results. It even gives me some new live tones I don't have with the ampers. So, it is basically replicating the work of over $12,000 of gear and over 500 lbs for $2,000 and 25 pounds. I am now beginning to dig into it further and find new ways of implementing it in my writing and production process.

John Czajkowski said:
I may ultimately do this, but my first goal with the Axe was to, as much as possible, to recreate my existing setups using this A/B rig centered around two Egnater heads, Eclipse, Lexicon G2 and Synth in a complex W/D/D/W system with parallel signal paths for guitar, FX, synth, and piezo. The main goal of these systems were to minimize my pedal dancing. Having two parallel paths where I can toggle between them with one button is really important in my band due to how much I pop back and forth between them. I have one switch set up as Latching and the other as momentary. Tune like the Dregs Cruise control would be much more difficult to pull off live because I have 4 different signal paths and need to pop back and forth between them at a pretty quick rate. Also, having a standardized routine where I am always physically on the same two buttons is critical. The programs come and go, but the A/B switches are always in the same place.

johnczajkowski.jpg

Figure 1. A man and his ego. "If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough, Pilgrim" - J Wayne

And crazy signal flows like:

F_Street_Javablade_Screen.jpg

Figure 2. Brain gone haywire. OCD is a serious physiological condition affecting many music professionals.

There are full rig descriptions at the HWM website Machines page. http://www.hecticwatermelon.com/machines.cfm

The Axe FX Ultra is so damn powerful, it lets me simulate the guitar amp and FX side of my big rig with very good results. It even gives me some new live tones I don't have with the ampers. So, it is basically replicating the work of over $12,000 of gear and over 500 lbs for $2,000 and 25 pounds. I am now beginning to dig into it further and find new ways of implementing it in my writing and production process.

Ahhh ;) ... That makes total sense and is a great way to get into the Axe. That's a nice rig you've got there, but I'm sure it'll be a lot smaller very soon :) . Did you try to nail your Egnater tones already or are you not planning on replacing them ?

VegaBaby said:
Ahhh ;) ... That makes total sense and is a great way to get into the Axe. That's a nice rig you've got there, but I'm sure it'll be a lot smaller very soon :) . Did you try to nail your Egnater tones already or are you not planning on replacing them ?

Thanks, I have spent an enormous amount of energy getting my recorded tones and synth/piezo sounds to the live show with these nutty rigs. With the Axe, I have been able to get live tones that are very enjoyable to play, and although not exact replica's of the Egnater rig, they work great going to FOH! So, just ridiculously practical. When I'm writing and recording, I just want to do whatever preserves the work flow, so whichever inspires me the most with hte least fuss -- amp or Axe -- is going to get recorded first. I haven't gotten any final mixes ready right now on any new material (post Minnemann album), but when it gets to that clinical stage of tone dialing and potentially re-recording stuff, it's all fair game!

Back
Top Bottom