New Axe-FX std owner having some issues

vtckf

I obviously have tons to learn and am not sure where to start but I have a problem in that I'm getting a digital sounding backlash/distortion after playing a note. If I turn down the input and output levels it goes away but so does most of the tone. I'm using a 50W stereo VHT into a stereo 4x12 with Scumbacks. Not sure what I'm doing wrong and not sure where to start to fix it? HELP!!!!

Sounds like a gain staging issue to me. Make sure you have your input set according to the manual, then let it be. If set correctly and not broken, the input isn't causing your problem. Next, check that your Axe's out1 and out2 clipping LEDs aren't lighting at all and finally check that you're not overdriving the power amp's inputs - try lowering the Axe's output and increasing the power amp's volume. The Axe-Fx has quite loud outputs if you crank them.

Also, if using active pickups, it might be worth it to check your battery level. With the battery about to die, those things have had me scratching my head more than once with all sorts of sonic weirdness.

vtckf,
I have a similar setup as you Axe Std > VHT 2/50/2 > Stereo 4x12 (G12T75's & V30's) and all seems OK.

FWIW my Axe-Fx input is at 2 O'clock, and output at Noon.
On the VHT, I have the Level & Voicing buttons switched OUT, The Volume @ Noon, Prescence @ 10 O'clock, Depth @ 2 O'clock.

I'm mainly using Active EMG's though so there is a hotter input to the Axe than usual.

Cliff used to use a VHT (Doesn't any more!) and I recall he said "Axe Output & VHT Volume both at Noon was about normal gigging volume" I wholeheartedly concur with that.

I would check your connections first of all, and from source try different cables, the usual problem solving then look at your patch levels for gain issues.
After that i'd be scratching my head a little.....

Back
Top Bottom