new Axe-FX 2 XL + and mfc Footcontroller on the way

Hello, I have a few questions. I have a chance to get a mesa 2:100 power amp but really just want to use the axe fx 2 straight into the board. Should I have a power amp for live situations? ?? I'm concerned that some venues with not give me good monitor mix and won't know what to do with the axe fx. What is your experience and your advice?

Thank you

Jason Wright

Last edited:
You need to by my Kelly if that avatar is you!

My Axe just landed today but from reading these forums and other forums you are going to get mixed responses. Best bet is to go and try it out and see for you personally and see if you like it.

That's me. I love Kellys. What Kelly do you have for sale?
Thank you for your advice. Sounds like I'll have to experiment.
Thank you
Jason Wright

It's always a good idea to have a decent monitor. An FRFR will give you accurate reproduction, and one like the Atomic CLR have two adjustable channels so you can bring their monitor mix (the rest of the band/vocals) in on one channel and your Axe Fx in on its own channel, then mix the two. Money well spent, and if they are giving you a great mix through a decent monitor you can either just use theirs or use the CLR along with it.

Many here use a amp and speaker, but if you are only using it part of the time, a good FRFR will give you what you'll hear through a great mix.

Hmmm ok I'm going to try both. I have a feeling, even though I'm used to playing live with a 100W head and 4x12, that I'll love the FRFR because I've always loved playing through the P.A and hearing the house mix and when recording playing through the mastering suite just for fun.
Thank you for help.
Jason

For the 30+ professional playing years before getting my AxeFX, I used tube amps and pedals. My most recent guitar rig was a Mesa Boogie Lonestar with a big pedalboard full of boutique (Keeley, Empress, Wampler, TC Electronic, etc) pedals.
One of the aspects of the AxeFX that intrigued me was the amp and cabinet modeling capabilities, and without a FRFR setup, I would have been somewhat limited to the (admittedly awesome) tone of my Boogie. I took the plunge and went FRFR right away, and within just a few months of having my new setup, I liquidated my old rig entirely. Going straight to the board live and in the studio is fantastic, and having a neutral / flat amp platform allows each of the amazing amp / cab models to really shine onstage.

Back
Top Bottom