NEW AX8 OWNER --- FRFR VS AMP VS POWERAMP

shredsquatch

Inspired
So Just got the AX8 and love it... I started using it with my Blues Jr while I was trying out FRFR's. It sounds AMAZING thru the front of the JR just like you would think it should. So far I've tried a JBL EON 10 took that back 2 hours later. I just got my Friedman ASC-12, it sounds awesome on the Rock and Metal sounds but it sounds like I'm running direct and fake on the clean tones. So I'm selling it because honestly running it with the Blues Jr sounds the best and most like what I hear in my head. I also have a MARK V and a MATCHLESS HC-30 I've yet to try it with because I was hoping the FRFR's would work!

Sooooooo my question/thought is the next step, a power amp and speakers. I'm looking at the new Seymour Duncan PowerStage and Matrix GT1000FX amps with a speaker cab. Has anybody been through the same thing? Any advice on the FRFR's, snarky comments and shenanigans will be greatly appreciated!

---

Last edited:
I went back and forth on the power amp/guitar cab vs FRFR monitor thing several times... I ended up sticking with FRFR. Stick with FRFR for a while longer and work with the IR's you are using on the clean tones. FRFR is never going to sound like an open back guitar cab, but it can sound great. I did an experiment that really helped me come to grips with FRFR. I put my amp in another room and mic'd it, listening to it through my FRFR monitor (I have the Atomic CLR), comparing that to the sound of the AxeFX. That helped me adjust my ears to what I was hearing through FRFR. Good luck.

Love your screen name and avatar!

giphy.gif

Nice thing is, these are all just options to make this tool work for you. I've been looking at power amps to go with my guitar cab for those times when I want to really feel like there is an amp in the room with me.

Just taking advantage of options...

I started with a guitar cab. It works for some tones that are specific for that cab, for example 1x12 open cab for fenderish stuff or a Marshall for..rock. But anything else sucked. I wanted versatility, so FRFR. I still have a Marshall 4x12 just for fun though, but it gets very little action.

I went back and forth on the power amp/guitar cab vs FRFR monitor thing several times... I ended up sticking with FRFR. Stick with FRFR for a while longer and work with the IR's you are using on the clean tones. FRFR is never going to sound like an open back guitar cab, but it can sound great. I did an experiment that really helped me come to grips with FRFR. I put my amp in another room and mic'd it, listening to it through my FRFR monitor (I have the Atomic CLR), comparing that to the sound of the AxeFX. That helped me adjust my ears to what I was hearing through FRFR. Good luck.

Love your screen name and avatar!

giphy.gif

I'll stick with the FRFR a little longer, I'm also going to try the DXR10 and QSC10

Nothing better than some Squatchy Shredding!!!

----

I bought 2 and via the direct link can run stereo or mono. Keep one in monitor position facing up at me in front of the pedeal board and the other for back line side wash stage volume. Great tones on all models and tones. And the price is right as well! Got bothe of mine for 950 out the door.

If you like the sound, then it can't be wrong, but as a AX8>CLR user, I can't imagine going into a blues jr. sounding as good.

If you like the sound, then it can't be wrong, but as a AX8>CLR user, I can't imagine a blues jr. speaker cab sounding as good.
I know it makes no sense... but the JR has been modded and has a Warehouse ET90 so that helps! First thing you do with a JR is change the speaker those stock ones stink IMHO And that CLR is another I'd like to check out!

---

Last edited:
FRFR is going to sound different than an amp in the room. It sounds like a recorded guitar. Its like having your amp in a studio being recorded and professionally miced but playing and listening from your living room. Thats what the audience hears too.

This. I have one and it's lightweight, loud and represents the amps & IR's very well. I also saw that Youtube Friedman/DXR comparison and thought the Friedman sounded very poor in comparison.
Lots of love for the DXR's... What part of Bamer are you from? I grew up in Mobile

I have a pair of QSC K10's on loan from a friend. I haven't played through them yet, though, so I'll have to report back next week. Last week, though, I was practicing through a pair of Behringer B208d's and they sounded fantastic. I don't trust the Behringer name in general for high quality audio, so I was very surprised.

@patrickrussell I think so. It seems many powered speakers come up as "FRFR" when doing web research. I am still very much a rookie here, though.

I go out of out 1 direct to FOH & monitors, and out of output 2 into an ISP Stealth power amp into a 2x12 cab.

FRFR is going to sound different than an amp in the room. It sounds like a recorded guitar. Its like having your amp in a studio being recorded and professionally miced but playing and listening from your living room. Thats what the audience hears too.

This is why I have a hard time biting the bullet and picking up an FRFR to try out. I get the appeal, especially for the guys that are going out and gigging regularly and need their tones for practice/rehearsal/on-stage to match the FOH sound or whatever. But for someone that just does the garage band type thing (well, storage unit, but I digress) with another guitarist running a traditional rig, I just don't see a great appeal to running FRFR. I'm using an Engl E840 poweramp into a Vader 2x12, looking to add a second 2x12 with V30's to get the tone where I want it and compete with the other 4x12. I think it sounds phenomenal with a plethora of different amp models for both my cleans and my high gain. I don't do a whole lot in between those two, but I do have a crunch tone or two that I really love. In other words, I haven't really understood the people that say 'one or two tones sound OK or Great through a cab, but 99% of the rest of the models will sound terrible.' I haven't scrolled across a model yet that isn't useable with my setup. Maybe it counts for something that I don't care if a clean Fender model sounds like a clean fender, or if the mkIV model sounds just like my buddy's real mkIV?

Long story short...take a look at your use case for your amp setup. Are you gigging/recording regularly where an FRFR setup fits right in like magic? Or are you jamming with people who don't even know what FRFR is and might have a hard time meshing with the tone you get from it? Or are you just hanging out by yourself and want to hear the same sort of guitar tone you've been playing with all your life? Do you want model accuracy, or do you just want to find tones you like and roll with it regardless of what the model is supposed to be based on?

There are definitely great reasons and great advantages to any of the available setups. I just personally feel like PA/Cab gets a bad rap from all the guys that say it limits you to one or two models that match the cab you use. I've also yet to hear much opinion from anyone out there playing death metal or the like using FRFR particularly for rehearsal and particularly if you're the only digital guy in the group. That said...with a blues jr I doubt you're playing much death metal hahaha.

Lots of love for the DXR's... What part of Bamer are you from? I grew up in Mobile

Actually I'm from Ohio. But I now live in Spanish Fort which is just across the bay from Mobile. I actually drive thru Mobile everyday to and from work. I'm no southerner and prefer it back up north by a mile buy, hey, gotta go where a great job opportunity takes you.

This is why I have a hard time biting the bullet and picking up an FRFR to try out. I get the appeal, especially for the guys that are going out and gigging regularly and need their tones for practice/rehearsal/on-stage to match the FOH sound or whatever. But for someone that just does the garage band type thing (well, storage unit, but I digress) with another guitarist running a traditional rig, I just don't see a great appeal to running FRFR. I'm using an Engl E840 poweramp into a Vader 2x12, looking to add a second 2x12 with V30's to get the tone where I want it and compete with the other 4x12. I think it sounds phenomenal with a plethora of different amp models for both my cleans and my high gain. I don't do a whole lot in between those two, but I do have a crunch tone or two that I really love. In other words, I haven't really understood the people that say 'one or two tones sound OK or Great through a cab, but 99% of the rest of the models will sound terrible.' I haven't scrolled across a model yet that isn't useable with my setup. Maybe it counts for something that I don't care if a clean Fender model sounds like a clean fender, or if the mkIV model sounds just like my buddy's real mkIV?

Long story short...take a look at your use case for your amp setup. Are you gigging/recording regularly where an FRFR setup fits right in like magic? Or are you jamming with people who don't even know what FRFR is and might have a hard time meshing with the tone you get from it? Or are you just hanging out by yourself and want to hear the same sort of guitar tone you've been playing with all your life? Do you want model accuracy, or do you just want to find tones you like and roll with it regardless of what the model is supposed to be based on?

There are definitely great reasons and great advantages to any of the available setups. I just personally feel like PA/Cab gets a bad rap from all the guys that say it limits you to one or two models that match the cab you use. I've also yet to hear much opinion from anyone out there playing death metal or the like using FRFR particularly for rehearsal and particularly if you're the only digital guy in the group. That said...with a blues jr I doubt you're playing much death metal hahaha.
I think FRFR is better than amp and cab for this as well due to the better dispersion and easier setup. The sound will be much more even throughout the room.
Of course it won't have that amp in the room sound. But it will sound much more like a pro recording. Back when I played tube amps I was always trying to get the same sound I heard on recordings and it was very frustrating! When went Fractal and FRFR I was able to get that tone much easier.
If you want amp in the room for yourself and your band mates then a real cab is better. If you want to sound like your favorite bands, FRFR is going to get you much closer.

Back
Top Bottom