New AX8 Out of the Box ... Blah

HughJasol

Inspired
. . . sounds like a**. Brand new, just got it today and powered it up. I changed the input from -12dB to -6dB (0dB hit the red too much, although I may try it). Other than that change and changing OUTPUT1 from STEREO to L+R SUM (same setting I use on my Axe-FX II), I've made no changes. It came installed with the latest released firmware 8.0.3 (even though it appears you can't technically download 8.0.3) and I assume the latest factory presets. But compared to my Axe-FX II, everything sounds "bassy", as if the tone control on my guitar is turned down to 40-50%; but more than that - it's as if the EQ is set to cut the highs; there's just no "bite" to it. Any ideas on where to start? Are there any good "out of the box tweaks" procedures to follow?

. . . sounds like a**. Brand new, just got it today and powered it up. I changed the input from -12dB to -6dB (0dB hit the red too much, although I may try it). Other than that change and changing OUTPUT1 from STEREO to L+R SUM (same setting I use on my Axe-FX II), I've made no changes. It came installed with the latest released firmware 8.0.3 (even though it appears you can't technically download 8.0.3) and I assume the latest factory presets. But compared to my Axe-FX II, everything sounds "bassy", as if the tone control on my guitar is turned down to 40-50%; but more than that - it's as if the EQ is set to cut the highs; there's just no "bite" to it. Any ideas on where to start? Are there any good "out of the box tweaks" procedures to follow?
are you running through the same speakers as your Axe-Fx II?

It should basically sound EXACTLY like your Axe-Fx II. It would seem to me that something's wrong with the settings. If RESET SYSTEM PARAMETERS doesn't solve the problem, please contact us through http://support.fractalaudio.com

FWIW, a lot of the AX8 presets sounding super bass-heavy was a common complaint last year if I recall correctly. I concurred.

If you have an Axe II, then use Fractool to copy a preset over to the AX8. Eazy Peazy.

Did you try tweaking the low and high pass filters in the cab block? I don’t think any of those parameters are adjusted in the stock presets. When i first got mine i had the same complaint until i started tweaking those and it helped to clean up a lot. At least it allowed me to get a better sense of what i wanted from the amp block eq settings....

Kind of embarrassed ... the PA channel I had connected to (I was only using one channel; L+R SUM) was EQ'd for the bass player :rolleyes:

But I did buy Fremen's AX8 Megapack anyway, and I'm just digging into that.

Did you try tweaking the low and high pass filters in the cab block? I don’t think any of those parameters are adjusted in the stock presets. When i first got mine i had the same complaint until i started tweaking those and it helped to clean up a lot. At least it allowed me to get a better sense of what i wanted from the amp block eq settings....

Good tip - I will still take a look at that ... thanks!

Back
Top Bottom