New Andy Timmons Keeley AT-MOD Overdrive Pedal

What does he use the JHS AT drive pedal for?

He uses that for his main dirty sound, with the clean channel of his amp, instead of the amp’s dirty channel. I’m guessing that the new Keeley pedal will live along the JHS and doesn’t replace it.

He uses that for his main dirty sound, with the clean channel of his amp, instead of the amp’s dirty channel. I’m guessing that the new Keeley pedal will live along the JHS and doesn’t replace it.
That’s cool I’m curious though since AT mostly plays solo stuff, if his tone would sit well in a band setting with another guitarist. For example, I love EJs tone but anytime I’ve heard him with another guitarist, his tone gets buried a bit. Same happens when I’ve tried to use his type of tone in my band. Not a knock on him, just the nature of his tone I guess. I wonder if ATs tone would suffer the same result. Guess I’ll go down a YT rabbithole of live AT.

I was going up to put this pedal on the wish list. Andy gets the best tone through a clean amp. Most overdrives do not sound that good through a clean amp. This get my vote.

I'm gonna have to disagree on that...
I don't know why I said that. I do use them on clean sounds to get edge of break up and low gain, but I also use them to boost lead gain. I just don't use drive pedals to get what an amp does best. The AT at mod just has a character that no other pedal has. I know they have pedals now like Soldano and Friedman that gets the high gain stuff, but those amps are already in the Fractal. Some times I post without reading.

I bought the AT MOD overdrive and it is great over a clean tone. I think it is best never over half way up on the gain, That sound is really good. I tried the gain higher and it is not as pleasing as the amps in my FM9 with the gain turned up. I play in a cover band that has a wide range of amp tones. I use the FM9 live and the AT mod, Halo, Boss SDE3000 delay, and Tonex on my desk for practice at home.

Another new pedal by duo:

Sounds sick honestly. @unix-guy know you’re a huge AT fan so tagging you here!

Yeah, they got a cease and desist over the “Muse Driver” name and had to rename it to “MK3 Driver.” FWIW, Muse Drivers are being closed out for $20 off on Sweetwater.

Really sounds so excellent, would love this in the Axe.
Maybe another Keeley collaboration maybe?
It's kinda not fair though, Andy always just sounds amazing.

Wife and I saw Andy about 17 years ago in Clearwater FL at a Mesa Boogie Clinic at a store. He was still recovering from being sick but still played like a monster on fire and he could not have been more humble and kind. Great guy and simply one of the best ever.

Wife and I saw Andy about 17 years ago in Clearwater FL at a Mesa Boogie Clinic at a store. He was still recovering from being sick but still played like a monster on fire and he could not have been more humble and kind. Great guy and simply one of the best ever.
@Tremonti Was that where he was using his I-pod? I saw him in Jacksonville for the same thing. I took my son who was about 10. He loved it and Andy signed his guitar for him. You're right super cool and humble, my son told him it was my birthday and he played a badass version of happy birthday, lol.

Really sounds so excellent, would love this in the Axe.
Maybe another Keeley collaboration maybe?
It's kinda not fair though, Andy always just sounds amazing.
It does but I don’t think it’s just the new drive pedal. It’s really his entire rig working together with the stereo effects. I can never get the lonestar or halo delay in my fm9 to sound like his lol. Every time I try very wet effects like that live it doesn’t work out well. I feel like going stereo is what makes that aspect work much better.

It does but I don’t think it’s just the new drive pedal. It’s really his entire rig working together with the stereo effects. I can never get the lonestar or halo delay in my fm9 to sound like his lol. Every time I try very wet effects like that live it doesn’t work out well. I feel like going stereo is what makes that aspect work much better.
And also that he's often the one featured player in a trio, so there's a lot of space he can fill.

Back
Top Bottom