New Amps Week! Bogner/5153

RevDrucifer

Fractal Fanatic
No, my AxeFX and FM9 aren’t going anywhere and they’ll still both get more use than either of these, but MORE IS MORE!!!!

A25888B1-5DF4-42DA-BA6F-939483BDBF25.jpeg

This all started because I wanted a head for the band I’m putting together. I can settle with the Class D stuff for a cover band doing classic rock/pop/top 40, but I’m putting together a chugga chugga metal band and part of the aesthetic I’m going for is the ‘amps in your face, headbanging in the dive bar’ thing, I wanted the wallop of a tube amp.

The Shiva popped up first, my initial idea was that I was going to flip it up to a Mark IV, 5153, JPIIC+, something in that vein. Once I got it home and started playing through it, that thing is not going anywhere! The first night I ran a few pedals through it, the 2nd night the FM9 went in 4CM (almost sounds dirty!) and gaddddaaaaaaamnnnnnnn! That’s where it’s at!!!!! No ground loop issues in my apartment, just pristine effects before and after the preamp! Alas, the Shiva is not a chugga chugga metal amp.

The 5153 popped up on Monday. I got a REALLY good deal on the Shiva, so I was having a hard time believing the deal I saw on the 5153/2x12 was even legit because it was so low. I had to wait until today to get it from the seller, but considering he runs sound at a country club 3 miles from my house and I was meeting him there, I started feeling this wouldn’t be a scam. Really cool guy, he insisted I crank it up on the stage before taking my money! I’m quite certain 50 watts will be just fine for what I’m going for. I need to grab a 4x12 and then outside of a wireless, my live rig is done! FM9 in 4CM, MIDI’d up to change amp channels and I’ll be a happy boy!

dood! sweet. While back i was at the guitar shop and was playing the 5153 stealth into a that same evh cab and it was glorious. Love Bogners as well. Many years ago there was an independant guitar shop that carried a lot of Bogners. I got to try out a number of their models and nearly bought the ecstasy

sometimes deals just show up!

Boosted marshalls are metal af, get off my lawn :p

They are indeed metal af and I look forward to owning a JCM800, or really any Marshall that was released JCM800 and backwards, in the future! Just not the kind of metal I want to do with this band!

They are indeed metal af and I look forward to owning a JCM800, or really any Marshall that was released JCM800 and backwards, in the future! Just not the kind of metal I want to do with this band!
This is where JBA5150 really is the answer haha. Which is why I have one too! Thought about a 5153 myself.

You have someone willing to help push Drew over the edge!! 🤣

I run w/d at home with 2 amps.... but man, been so close to pulling the trigger
on that EVH/Boss SDE-3000 so I can do w/d/w.
You have a Fractal! It's the easiest thing ever!

Bro. I still say we need to get you up and running with w/d/w. Fair warning though: it's basically crack.

View attachment 131812

Oh, I’m definitely going to do it up at some point, I’ve got three 2x12’s, 3 heads, 2 power amps….hell, if I had one more cab I can make a surround sound rig with my FM9 and AxeFX :tearsofjoy:

I just know I’m never going to use it (w/d/w) in a live situation and my experimentation has been based how I’m going to use it live. So far, seems the FM9 in 4CM w/ the MIDI out handling channel changes on the amp, add another EVH 2x12 (4x12 ideally) and Bob is my uncle!

Oh, I’m definitely going to do it up at some point, I’ve got three 2x12’s, 3 heads, 2 power amps….hell, if I had one more cab I can make a surround sound rig with my FM9 and AxeFX :tearsofjoy:

I just know I’m never going to use it (w/d/w) in a live situation and my experimentation has been based how I’m going to use it live. So far, seems the FM9 in 4CM w/ the MIDI out handling channel changes on the amp, add another EVH 2x12 (4x12 ideally) and Bob is my uncle!
Yeah wdw is not gonna work live for most people. Too much effort and you'd need to have a dedicated sound person imo.

Its for when i run just the tube setup. Using my DD6 just doesnt quite do it for me haha.

Guitar to axe, matrix to one cab and stereo out to the heads off the other?
Simplest setup is guitar to axe, output (X) to Matrix powering two cabs, output (Y) to the FX return of one head powering one cab.

With just your two stereo cabs setting side by side, the head would be powering the inner speakers of each cab, the matrix powering the outer speakers.

Edit: you could use two heads instead of one. Each head powering the inner speaker(s) of a stereo cab. Either way, I'd use just FX loops and AxeFX models to keep wiring simple and reduce potential for noise.

Simplest setup is guitar to axe, output (X) to Matrix powering two cabs, output (Y) to the FX return of one head powering one cab.

With just your two stereo cabs setting side by side, the head would be powering the inner speakers of each cab, the matrix powering the outer speakers.

Edit: you could use two heads instead of one. Each head powering the inner speaker(s) of a stereo cab. Either way, I'd use just FX loops and AxeFX models to keep wiring simple and reduce potential for noise.
The loop rules out the superlead haha.

Back
Top Bottom