New amps and effects?

Hi all, my first post as haven’t got my AFX3 yet.

I was wondering how often Fractal release new amps/effects.

Also, at what point do you all expect the AFX3 to really come into its own re the extra DSP?

Thanks and please excuse the basic questions if they’ve been asked before.

I think it’s already come into its own. I saw the difference between the III and II much faster than I saw noticeable difference between the Ultra and II. In a lot of ways the difference is felt more than heard, I suppose.

As far as amps and effects, there’s just so many already in there that it’s hard to find something different enough to make it worth adding. Back in the ultra and early II days it felt like we’d get an amp or two every other month or so

As of the moment I believe the amp models are in parity across all the Fractal Ax* hardware.

As for effects differences, some that come to mind off the top of my head...

III has tri-chorus, II does not
III has the Multi Delay block split into three different blocks (Multitap Delay, Plex Delay, and Ten-Tap Delay), which have additional
features (for example: enevelope following, ring modulators and chrousing on delay lines, quad parallel and quad series delay types, etc) not available on the II
III Enhancer block has an added “Steroizer” mode
III Input block noise gates add EMI filtering
III Pitch block has 4 voices and a new faster/better pitch detector
III has additional improved Reverb algorithms

... and of course the III allows for double the number of blocks and double the channels of almost every block in the II.

All that info and more can be found by perusing the “Sounds” portion of the wiki:

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Category:Sounds

Also of interest might be this article which is a broad overview comparing features of the III to the II:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Comparing_the_Axe-Fx_III_to_the_Axe-Fx_II

... and the effects comparison table:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Effects_list#Effects_comparison_table

In my firmware download folder I count 15 releases since March 14. These include some betas and I think I may have missed a couple releases.
Most of these updates were pretty substantial imo with a few being bug fixes. I immediately felt the III was ahead of everything else when I received it, before these updates.
It only takes a few minutes to get great sounds and many of the factory presets are great. If you spend time learning what's possible and experimenting, you can come up with unique and new sounds for a long long long time :)

Thanks for all your replies, I’ll check out the links provided.

Sounds like this isn’t something I need to be worried about. Just get the unit, dig in, and see where it takes me.

Thanks again.

Maybe a Freeze pedal would be handy, I’m sure we can all think of one or two pedals that could be useful if a little left field for us noise merchants

At this point, any new amp of effect model is just gravy! You can emulate and cover just about any guitar sound in the universe and beyond! The AX3 is already the ultimate tone machine as it is! But I’m curious to see what Cliff will do with all that spare memory and power left. Never underestimate the creativity of this mad scientist!!

Back
Top Bottom